Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake Setups!

Old 09-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake Setups! (hybrid_vtec)

GET WHAT YOU LIKE!

I can tell you what stuff I like, but it probably isn't going to be what you like.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybrid_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

-EBC Red Stuff Pads
-goodridge race spec fluid

Anyone else have any comments on these!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do some searching!

i personally like my Cobalt GT sport pads and my ATE super Blue racing fluid.
Look into getting some steel braided brake lines too.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Brake Setups! (funkfnamna)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by funkfnamna &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GET WHAT YOU LIKE!

I can tell you what stuff I like, but it probably isn't going to be what you like.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that was so useless.

he likes to stop, do you like to stop ? I like to stop.

but he wants advice and options for the best bang for the buck kind of setup, no useless comments
Old 09-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Setups! (Daniel_san)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel_san &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that was so useless.

he likes to stop, do you like to stop ? I like to stop.

but he wants advice and options for the best bang for the buck kind of setup, no useless comments</TD></TR></TABLE>
WOOF!
I meant he should do his own research and figure out what he thinks he should get. 50 people going I like this, I like that, I'm an ASSHAT! doesn't help him any. He doesn't know what kind of driving you guys do and if you even know how to use what you have. Someone even said something about silicone brake fluid. What an idiot.
oh yeah
Old 09-21-2004, 09:19 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=514109

good info here
Old 09-21-2004, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Setups! (funkfnamna)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by funkfnamna &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
WOOF!
I meant he should do his own research and figure out what he thinks he should get. 50 people going I like this, I like that, I'm an ASSHAT! doesn't help him any. He doesn't know what kind of driving you guys do and if you even know how to use what you have. Someone even said something about silicone brake fluid. What an idiot.
oh yeah
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll do some searches, but Im asking for advice from those that have used these products so that I can get an idea of whats out there! I want to have good stopping power for auto-cross and possibly some roadcourse! I can read what companies have to say all day long but its the consumers that I am looking for to help me make a decision, b/c they are the ones who use these products and they can tell me which companies have good products and which have shitty products!

Thanx guys! Keep Postiong
Old 09-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am now using Super Blue and it works wonderfully and Carbotech pads kick ****

I will stick with those and that is it......R&D uses noithing but Carbotech for race pads unless it was the Wilwood setup. I think that alone speaks for itself, especially since they are consistently competitive when it comes to NASA events and Honda Challenge
Old 09-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Setups! (DirtySol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DirtySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am now using Super Blue and it works wonderfully and Carbotech pads kick ****

I will stick with those and that is it......R&D uses noithing but Carbotech for race pads unless it was the Wilwood setup. I think that alone speaks for itself, especially since they are consistently competitive when it comes to NASA events and Honda Challenge</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I emailed chad earlier about the pads! Does Jack still race in the honda challenge b/c I heard he sold his red EG awhile back!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I honestly don't know if he does......I have only met him once but I know Chad and Dave pretty well.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DirtySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I honestly don't know if he does......I have only met him once but I know Chad and Dave pretty well.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I know chad real well from the old days when he lived in VA
Old 09-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump...

For more setups!
Old 09-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My suggestion for a more reactive brake setup is a 15/16ths MC, steel braided brake lines, bigger brake booster (if you can find one) and the best pads you can find. You don't need bigger rotors or more lugs. Stickier tires would be better too.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

I Have wilwood 4 pots inthe front with Polymatrix type A pads, bigger rotors in the rear and hawk Plus's. all with coated stainless lines and motul brake fluid. Car brakes unbelievably. This is a track setup and I'm planning on upgrading the rear to Outlaw 1000 calipers (2 piston) and replace the pedals with a tilton/wilwood setup.

For Daily driver car I have S/S lines, PFC Brake fluid, rear disk swap, and hawk blue's all the way around. Perfect for the street
Old 09-22-2004, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (funkfnamna)

I was was looking around yesterday and found DOT 4 and DOT 5 brake fluid! DOT 5 fluid is a silicon fluid and it said not for factory cars! Why is this? Dot 4 said it has a boiling point at 500 some degrees!

What is the advantage to the DOT 5 compared to the DOT4! And is the DOT 5 safe to run if you bleed the entire system and relace the lines?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybrid_vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybrid_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was was looking around yesterday and found DOT 4 and DOT 5 brake fluid! DOT 5 fluid is a silicon fluid and it said not for factory cars! Why is this? Dot 4 said it has a boiling point at 500 some degrees!

What is the advantage to the DOT 5 compared to the DOT4! And is the DOT 5 safe to run if you bleed the entire system and relace the lines?</TD></TR></TABLE>
silicone brake fluid goes bad real easily. don't bother with it.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (funkfnamna)

GSR Spec Brembo cross drilled slotted rotors, GSR calipers, ss lines, axxis metal master pads

i just touch the brake pedal a little bit and it reacts very sensitively. Very good setup in my opinion.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (delLudeVTEC)

slotted and/or cross drilled rotors are pointless with modern gassless pads

remember the three B's
blanks work best biatch

Old 09-22-2004, 06:59 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: (hybrid_vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybrid_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was was looking around yesterday and found DOT 4 and DOT 5 brake fluid! DOT 5 fluid is a silicon fluid and it said not for factory cars! Why is this?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Because DOT 5 is silicone-based, and not compatible with glycol-based DOT 3, DOT 4, or DOT 5.1 fluids. It will mess up your entire brake system.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the advantage to the DOT 5 compared to the DOT4! And is the DOT 5 safe to run if you bleed the entire system and relace the lines?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The advantages of DOT 5 are that it has higher boiling points and is not hygroscopic like glycol-based fluids are (this is why it is popular for classic/restored cars that sit around for a while without any use or maintenance). However, DOT 5 fluid is much more compressible than glycol-based fluids, and will make the pedal feel mushy - this is not ideal for a daily driver or track car. Also, you will need to tear down and clean or replace pretty much your entire brake system - lines, calipers, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, etc. - to avoid mixing with your old fluid.

If you need a higher boiling point than most DOT 4 fluids offer (which is usually well beyond DOT 4 minimum standards, and more than any Civic would need for all street/autocross and most track duty), then go with a DOT 5.1 fluid, which is compatible with your stock brake system. It really shouldn't be necessary though. I recommend going with an inexpensive DOT 4 fluid for now. You will never boil it on the street or at an autocross, and will be hard pressed to boil it at an HPDE unless you are very fast/heavy and the track is braking-intensive.

Brake fluid should be flushed frequently on a track car anyways (minimum of once a year); no point in spending rediculous amounts of money on it IMHO. I personally use Ate Super Blue/Typ-200, which I get from Cobalt Friction. Motul RBF 600 is also popular among HPDEers and has higher boiling points, but it is a bit more expensive.

These links may help:
https://honda-tech.com/zero...16378
https://honda-tech.com/zero...27378
Old 09-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My suggestion for a more reactive brake setup is a 15/16ths MC, steel braided brake lines, bigger brake booster (if you can find one) and the best pads you can find. You don't need bigger rotors or more lugs. Stickier tires would be better too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't think that haveing more force behind braking is a good idea, it allows for less modulation and more lock ups.

but what you said about tires is true, you can spend 10000 on brakes but your tires are a limiting factor
Old 09-22-2004, 07:08 AM
be professional

Default Re: (delLudeVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delLudeVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
GSR Spec Brembo cross drilled slotted rotors</TD></TR></TABLE>
Drilled = not the smartest choice for a track car. Blanks are cheaper and less susceptible to cracking . . .

"GSR spec?" You mean the same exact 10.3" 4x100 brake rotors that are used by:

- ALL '90-00 Civic EX
- ALL '90-91 Integra RS/LS/SE/GS/GSR
- '99-00 Civic Si
- '94-97 del Sol VTEC
- '94-95 Civic Si w/ABS

. . . and then some (I believe early Integras, and some 7th-gen Civics)?

GSR models do not have an exclusive brake system.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">axxis metal master pads</TD></TR></TABLE>
I've used the Axxis Metal Masters, and while they are a good improvement over OEM pads, they don't have anywhere near the bite or fade resistance of the Axxis Ultimates. With a sticky autocross tire, the Ultimates would be more preferable.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Targa250R)

[QUOTE=Targa250R]"GSR spec?" You mean the same exact 10.3" 4x100 brake rotors that are used by: blah blah blah...QUOTE]

How about the calipers, are they the same or different?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:22 AM
be professional

Default Re: (Jon V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How about the calipers, are they the same or different?</TD></TR></TABLE>
All '94-01 Integra (except Type-R) calipers are the same. regardless of trim level.

The other cars with 10.3" fronts have slightly smaller pistons.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybrid_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

-EBC Red Stuff Pads
-goodridge race spec fluid

Anyone else have any comments on these!</TD></TR></TABLE>
noit impressed wtih the EBCs at all, last set lasted me about 4hours at PIR, seemed like the faded real ahrd and i kept having to use more and more pedal.
granted i was on slicks and they jsut didnt have teh clamping force. had to finish off the weekend on oem pads which worked much better
dan&lt;-who is now using carbotechs and is much happier
Old 09-22-2004, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Setups! (Looose_R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
All '94-01 Integra (except Type-R) calipers are the same. regardless of trim level.

The other cars with 10.3" fronts have slightly smaller pistons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not entirely correct
the 94-95 civic ex w/abs has identical brakes to a gsr
Old 09-22-2004, 07:40 AM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DirtySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not entirely correct
the 94-95 civic ex w/abs has identical brakes to a gsr </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks for the correction. I just checked the pad numbers, and you are right - '94-95 LX and EX with ABS are the same as DC non-R Integra.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Setups!