Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake Setup for 350hp in 1995 Civic DX coupe GSR brakes good enough?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Setup for 350hp in 1995 Civic DX coupe GSR brakes good enough?

Going to be pushing 350hp this next year and i still have stock DX brakes. Just wandering what a safe Brake setup would be. I was thinking GSR spindles and brakes up front, and GSR rear trailing arms and brakes. and then getting a 15/16 MC. EBC green stuff pads and OEM rotors all around. would that setup be up to par, would i need something better. last year we were hitting 250hp, and had to hit the brakes pretty hard to slow down at the local drag strip. (1/4 track with a small braking area. to small to run the any pro series but its cheap and not crowded most weeknights.) fastest run lastyear was a 13.1ET at 116mph

1995 Civic DX coupe. no a/c, no power steering from the factory.
b18b Turbo. stock suspension and brakes.

was considering 4 lug type R but i think i can do konig yellows, good high lb springs, and gsr brake swap for less.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake Setup for 350hp in 1995 Civic DX coupe GSR brakes good enough? (Snail Tuning)

If anything just get a GSR rear disc set up and you will be fine. My buddy is putting down 550+hp and he is still using his dx drums lol
Old 02-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Brake Setup for 350hp in 1995 Civic DX coupe GSR brakes good enough? (95ProjectEJ1)

Worry more about having good fresh pads and better tires.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Setup for 350hp in 1995 Civic DX coupe GSR brakes good enough? (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My buddy is putting down 550+hp and he is still using his dx drums lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

All i did was brembo fronts with hawk pads and upgraded to 1inch master cylinder. Also Tony Palo goes 160mph and runs rear drums as well in his integra. Most important is a good front brake setup.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Setup for 350hp in 1995 Civic DX coupe GSR brakes good enough? (Luserkid)

so say I just daily drive the car and do some weekend drag races. i would be fine with a set of good front pads, and a new set of shoes for the rear? Maybe add the 15/16MC for good measure?

that would really keep the sleeper/stock look. i know the drums create less drag which is a plus but when they got hot they will start to fade.

I just really wanna make sure the car is safe. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always wondered why people posted this.

Just because your car is faster doesn't mean the speed limits nor the rules of the road change.

Please don't tell me you need it for real racing b/c a 350hp turbo build isn't exactly autoX material and what do you need it for the 15, 20mph faster in the 1/4? If that?

Somebody's gotta clue me in on why more hp requires a lot more braking power...but only in the world of Hondas -- the speed limit is still the same.

Gah, whatever, so in answer, it's all opinion, my opinion is that your stock brakes will work 100%, but if you want to take it up a notch I'd only go up as far as GSR brakes, no use putting a whole aftermarket brake kit on there 'n such to go to work or wherever in the morning.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always wondered why people posted this.

Just because your car is faster doesn't mean the speed limits nor the rules of the road change.

So what you're really saying is you're going to be a ricer bastard racing that **** wherever you can? Please don't tell me you need it for real racing b/c a 350hp turbo build isn't exactly autoX material and what do you need it for the 15, 20mph faster in the 1/4? If that?

Somebody's gotta clue me in on why more hp requires a lot more braking power...but only in the world of Hondas -- the speed limit is still the same.

Gah, whatever, so in answer, it's all opinion, my opinion is that your stock brakes will work 100%, but if you want to take it up a notch I'd only go up as far as GSR brakes, no use putting a whole aftermarket brake kit on there 'n such to go to work or wherever in the morning.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

very true!
although i did have a very good experience using the powerslot big brake upgrade.
i would definetly recommend these for saftey purposes. they are very affordable
compared to the other big brake kits available.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always wondered why people posted this.

So what you're really saying is you're going to be a ricer bastard racing that **** wherever you can? Please don't tell me you need it for real racing b/c a 350hp turbo build isn't exactly autoX material and what do you need it for the 15, 20mph faster in the 1/4? If that?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guess you didnt read the post, like the part where he said:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snail Tuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Going to be pushing 350hp this next year and i still have stock DX brakes. Just wandering what a safe Brake setup would be. I was thinking GSR spindles and brakes up front, and GSR rear trailing arms and brakes. and then getting a 15/16 MC. EBC green stuff pads and OEM rotors all around. would that setup be up to par, would i need something better. last year we were hitting 250hp, and had to hit the brakes pretty hard to slow down at the local drag strip. (1/4 track with a small braking area. to small to run the any pro series but its cheap and not crowded most weeknights.) fastest run lastyear was a 13.1ET at 116mph

</TD></TR></TABLE>

My old setup was trapping 87-90mph on the 1/8th mile with a very little stopping distance before the baracade and my stock brakes would not do the job with out cutting it very close. You saying "stock brakes will do it" maybe EX might but DX brakes, no way in hell.

Modified by Luserkid at 6:22 AM 2/21/2008
Old 02-21-2008, 05:24 AM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

(sizzle sound here....)
Old 02-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do all around disk
Old 02-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Setup for 350hp in 1995 Civic DX coupe GSR brakes good enough? (Snail Tuning)

that setup sounds like it will do the trick. brembo blanks will be a bit cheaper and just as good..and get hawk pads.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Guess you didnt read the post, like the part where he said:

My old setup was trapping 87-90mph on the 1/8th mile with a very little stopping distance before the baracade and my stock brakes would not do the job with out cutting it very close. You saying "stock brakes will do it" maybe EX might but DX brakes, no way in hell.

Modified by Luserkid at 6:22 AM 2/21/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, I see, I didn't read that part (or any of it), this wouldn't be the first time somebody had more HP and claimed they needed more stopping distance because of so.

I've never been to a track where there wasn't enough stopping distance.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ah, I see, I didn't read that part (or any of it),</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well thats obvious. Its something you do in alot of the threads enter. Personally its stupid as hell because your not contributing, If anything your making this place worse.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've never been to a track where there wasn't enough stopping distance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And your trapping what? less then 100mph on a 1/4 mile? Try stopping on a completely stock honda setup (no upgraded pads, no upgraded disc) at 120mph and see how that feels.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ah, I see, I didn't read that part (or any of it), this wouldn't be the first time somebody had more HP and claimed they needed more stopping distance because of so.

I've never been to a track where there wasn't enough stopping distance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm thanks for yet another worthless post. now i see why your post count is so high.

never in my post did i say anything about being a gay ricer, or driving crazy on the street or anything about street racing. but hey i own a turbo honda and have 250hp i must be a gay ricer street racer.

plus you must never go to a small town drag strip. sure id love to drive 40 mins longer (1.5hrs total) to hit a pro track like Norwalk where they have the NOPI world finals at and they run the all out funny cars and pro circut. but for 10 bucks cheaper at test and tune nights, and less gas and wear on my car i can go to Dragway 42. where they can't run the all out drag cars past 1/2 track because they can't stop in time.

the point is im upgrading my turbo kit. rebuilding my engine and im going to be running a sold 300-350hp. this car can and will be daily driven in the summer but at 6-8psi instead of 15. Im concerned with safety, or i would have never asked this question. being able to drive to the tack race and drive home on the same tank of gas is nice. plus at gamblers night i can rape any unsespecting idiot at the track. especialy if i have a basic/stock looking brake, exaust and body.

now back to the point at hand. best setup would be GSR all around, hawk or green stuff pads, and a 15/16MC. I may even have a set of stock EX spindles laying around which would keep the stock look but slightly larger rotors.

if not. ill just run good front pads, 15/16MC, and new shoes. would this setup be good enough?

not planning on running larger than a 15" rim so any big brake setup is out.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Snail Tuning)

i do have a set of EX spindles and calipers that i got for free. sence these are bigger i may just get new rotors, calipers, and pads, so everything still looks stock, along with the 15/16MC, and new rear shoes.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well thats obvious. Its something you do in alot of the threads enter. Personally its stupid as hell because your not contributing, If anything your making this place worse.

And your trapping what? less then 100mph on a 1/4 mile? Try stopping on a completely stock honda setup (no upgraded pads, no upgraded disc) at 120mph and see how that feels. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have - not in my Honda, though. I would never try to embarrass myself by taking my stock Honda to the track so I can't tell you how bad economy brakes are at stopping distances like that - though most people aren't taking it to the track which begs the question of "why." Though since nobody has been able to answer that I remain perplexed.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have - not in my Honda, though. I would never try to embarrass myself by taking my stock Honda to the track so I can't tell you how bad economy brakes are at stopping distances like that - though most people aren't taking it to the track which begs the question of "why." Though since nobody has been able to answer that I remain perplexed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Those guys dont apply to this thread now do they? Do i have to quote the first post again because you still cant seem to read? He was asking for the track. What other threads have you seen asking for bigger brakes that wasnt related to the track? If you have seen that why not ask THOSE guys your "why" question, because we already gave you an answer in here. Oh wait i forgot you dont know how to read

So you went down the track over 100mph? Was it an economy car or was it a car that already has good brakes? How about you put 10inch disc and a 7/8inch MC with a small brake booster and see how the stopping goes and how close you get to the barricade and see if you should upgrade or not. Next time you post contribute or get out.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I think he got his answer now. Please people, let's keep this place clean and stop the bickering.