Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake Scare

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Scare

So I get back in my car after being away from it for about 20 minutes. Started fine. I do fine shifting into second. But once I hit third, I felt a weird sudden loss of power. No torque and the RPM's dropped. I was with my best friend and he felt it too.
Then I experimented. Shifting from third to fourth, then to third, second, etc. And we both noticed something was really wrong.
We get to a hill and the car gives up. Won't go anymore, locks up, smokes something awful. Best friend gets out and has to push my car off the road. He barely could despite the car being in neutral and the brakes completely off.
felt a lot of heat out of the front passenger wheel and all the smoke was coming from it. Finally got the wheel off, caliper off, brakes, etc. All seemed fine. I let it cool down and put it back together.
Odd thing was, bestie and I stopped for froyo. We were driving before that just fine, and I have been for the past few days. So has anyone else had a similar issue when something like this suddenly happens? It locks up? I don't know why it was so sudden...
Scared me shitless and now I'm confused as hell. This is my kid. So I dunno why all of a sudden it decided to do that. Ideas?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Scare

my L/R brake caliper is frozen on my 94 ex coupe,the brake pads were smoking bad when i got of the highway today lol check that(gotta get mine fixed)
Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So you're saying you took it all apart while it was smoking hot and waited for it to cool down to put it back together? . You sure your hand brake wasn't engaged. Or even your abs light?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why you need to have all your moving brake parts properly greased. Also, froyo? Bestie(guy)? Major friendzoned.........a moment of silence
Old 10-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Marvin1985
This is why you need to have all your moving brake parts properly greased. Also, froyo? Bestie(guy)? Major friendzoned.........a moment of silence
Yeah he's friendzoned cause I have a boyfriend. He and I were going to try dating but we realized it wasn't meant to be, we both agreed to remain friends. So he wasn't "forever friend-zoned" .

As for the greaseing and such, I'm going to take it all back apart today and grease the pins. I got a long trip on Wends. and need it all working right.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by that_boy_sammy
So you're saying you took it all apart while it was smoking hot and waited for it to cool down to put it back together? . You sure your hand brake wasn't engaged. Or even your abs light?
I am certain, yo. I know my car. I waited for it to cool down before taking it apart. To see if a pad came loose or something. Also no ABS light. No codes or anything.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if a rubber brake line is going bad(swelling,leaking,etc.)it can cause that brake to not release completely.about 20 bucks for a new one at autozone.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

grease the sliders and inspect the caliper piston when the pads and all are oof press the breaks fully in and see if the piston comes out(it should). then try putting it back in you may need a c-clamp for that
Old 10-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fluid if it's black. Bleed it. Also you should change the 2 front rubber lines cuz they do detirerate and can lock up.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you smoked the disk you would know 100%. Nice discolored look as would your pads. I say its something else. Is it possible you smoked the bearing in the hub???? Did it pull to the side you suspect which is indicative of a locked up brake? Might it be something else like your clutch or tranny?
Old 10-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, if you are certain it is your brakes, I wonder if you have water in your lines or a bad caliper or proportion valve...
Old 10-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pityocamptes
Also, if you are certain it is your brakes, I wonder if you have water in your lines or a bad caliper or proportion valve...
Brake fluid is heavier than water, so water should float up to the top of the reservoir. Besides that, water would boil in the brake lines and rise to the top.

Kind of like putting an ice cube with high volume of Tritium or Deuterium into a glass of water. Since Tritium is isotope #3 of Hydrogen, it causes the ice cube to sink, when normal ice would float. Or, enriching Uranium via ""heavy water"" to seperate the heavy uranium 235 from the lighter uranium 238.

Maybe I am overcomplicating this... Ya know how vegetable oil floats on top of water? Welp, water floats on top of brake fluid.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but if the rubber line is breaking down inside it can form a flap inside the line as you press down on the peddle fluid can get past the flap filling the caliper but then gets trapped and can only return slowly if at all. This is made worse by the fact that as the brake heats up the fluid expands and the brake squizes tighter to the rotor.

also you will most likely need New rotors or to get yours turned.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Moisture

All braking systems have moisture in them. Other types of fluid absorb water easily. Unfortunately, silicone brake fluid does not absorb water. Since the water does not mix with the fluid, it will descend to the lowest point and form a puddle. This can lead to corrosion in your hydraulic system and may impair the functioning of your brakes.

http://voices.yahoo.com/five-disadva...id-500288.html

in case OP mixed fluids... just a thought...
Old 10-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah man, make sure you have all the right fluid in there and it isn't mixed. All my cars take DOT3&4 compat stuff, so I never have that issue.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:

I checked fluid and it all looks good. I also just put on slotted rotors with ceramic brakes. Greased the pins and did it all right. No issues. I tested them out the true way and took them down Old Priest Grade coming from Yosemite (look it up if y'all don't know how gnarly that road is). And it all works beautifully now.

It was all so freakish. But perhaps I missed something when I did them last or something. Dunno. Prolly what it is. Note to self: don't text while wrenching.

Now to figure out the annoying noise my girl makes...
Old 10-28-2013, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pityocamptes
Moisture

All braking systems have moisture in them. Other types of fluid absorb water easily. Unfortunately, silicone brake fluid does not absorb water. Since the water does not mix with the fluid, it will descend to the lowest point and form a puddle. This can lead to corrosion in your hydraulic system and may impair the functioning of your brakes.

http://voices.yahoo.com/five-disadva...id-500288.html

in case OP mixed fluids... just a thought...
Yeah I didn't mix. I know better, hahaha! She takes DOT3 I believe (it says on the cap for dyslexic ADHD kids like me so we don't eff it up) so I know what to put in. But that makes sense!