Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brake problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake problem?

so it started when i was braking really hard and i got what i thought was brake fade, i was pushing my brake pedal really hard and it was barely stopping me, yet it was not going to the floor. i decided to let things cool down and check my pads the next day and sure enough they were low, not metal on metal yet though. So i bought a new set of pads and installed them, when pumping the brakes to prepare for a test drive, they didnt feel normal. it felt as if the pedal was going to the floor and felt spongy. still felt the same after a short drive. i tore everything back apart to see if i overlooked anything and everything looked ok. i tried bleeding one brake line because i didnt know what else it could have been but maybe boiling brake fluid creating air bubbles in the line (if thats possible lol), and after a little bit of fluid came out of the caliper, there was nothing but air, i continued bleeding the line and didnt get anything but air, yes the resevoir is full. any suggestions? master cylinder? bad line? booster?

no leaking fluid anywhere btw
Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: brake problem?

Drum or disc rear?

1. If you have drums, they may need adjusted. Disc brakes auto adjust, but drums that need adjusted can cause a spongy pedal and a lot of pedal travel.

2. If you have 4 wheel disc, you need to completely bleed the system with new fluid to ensure you have no air. Bleed the system in order starting with the furthest from the master cylinder: right rear, left rear, right front, left front. Speed bleeders will also make this process much faster and painless.

3. Inspect your MC. Shine a light on the rod on the inside of your car that goes to the MC. Look for leakage. If it is leaking, you should replace it. It can also be leaking internally. If you bled the system and it still acts weird, I would replace the MC for good measure.

4. Inspect your lines. Get the car on some jack stands and inspect every inch of the brake lines. The rubber lines in the wheel wells are known for dry rot and leakage. Also inspect the hard lines. An instance of dragging or running over something could have caused a leak in the metal lines under the car also. Take the time to eliminate a leaking problem.