Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

brake power upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake power upgrade

Now it is the time for brakes upgrade.

The car (93 del sol h22 turbo) is almost finished and one important thing is missing--the brakes.

it has 262mm disc in front and rear disc civic conversion.

I have been told that big brakes is not necessary to get there.

i read here that integra brake booster and master cylinder with good pads will do it.

we dont have here integra's so can someone here direct me to the part i need on ebay?

please tell me if you have other advices to get more brake power.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Re: brake power upgrade

Get yourself a 15/16" master cylinder from a 91 civic ex. It will bolt up to your stock booster and lines. Then just get some good pads. Hawk HP+ are a good street pad. I'm guessing that the was a vtec originally since it has 262 already? So it already has rear discs? If its a conversion just make sure you have the proper 4040 prop valve and you'll be good to go. A bbk is a waste of money on a street car unless you just want to show off.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from my vin the car is 93 SI was d16z6 vtec and the last owner told me he did the conversion.

but never mind i will check the 40/40 and try the hawk hp plus and the ex 91 brake cylinder.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good pads and good rotors make a huge difference over stock or budget stuff.

or you could go integra/civic type r. but same thing.. good pads, good rotors.

also you can re-use some oem stuff. i wish i could remember the user that posted the stuff on here but he made several brake threads you can search for. they involve using things like acura legend or honda nsx calipers and prelude vtec rotors. search for it, it's good stuff.

big brake kits are almost purely a cosmetic upgrade, aside from a truly performance-oriented kit such as wilwood, brembro, etc.. but you won't find them selling you 13" rotors for your civic. thats just as useless as it is retarded.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sshh
Now it is the time for brakes upgrade.

The car (93 del sol h22 turbo) is almost finished and one important thing is missing--the brakes.

it has 262mm disc in front and rear disc civic conversion.

I have been told that big brakes is not necessary to get there.

i read here that integra brake booster and master cylinder with good pads will do it.

we dont have here integra's so can someone here direct me to the part i need on ebay?

please tell me if you have other advices to get more brake power.

Thanks!
If all you want is more stopping power for street use, then the EBC GREENSTUFF with good rotors will work. if you want fast street or occasional light track use, the EBC YELLOW, for mad driving/full race, go for the EBC RED. The GREEN are high friction and work better than most, even when cold they "BITE" well.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i talked with the last owner he said that he did the covesion from from a esi hatch, or 4 door 95 abs civic he is not sure.

does it have the 4040 prop valve? or how can i recognized it?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What exactly would "good" rotors be? Not oem ones, stoptech drilled/slotted?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

EBC pads are toys, and dust like nothing I've ever seen. Go Hawk.

Solid rotors are perfect, just get some decent quality ones, not just the cheapest you can find at Autozone. Brembo blank rotors are reasonably priced.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alot of drill/slotted rotors are crap.. some to the point of being just dangerous on the street. be careful.

stoptech would be good, but i've had great success with brembro 'blanks' as the notches in your slotted rotor are just shaving the pad down with street use.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

OEM rotors ARE good. I use brembo blanks because I know they are quality, and you can get them cheaper than Honda. Slotted or drilled cost a lot more and give you no additional benefits other than looks.

The most important thing to remember is that it's tires that stop the car and not the brakes. If you can lock up your wheels, then your brakes already generate more than enough torque. When modifying the brakes, the goal is usually increased fade resistance or better pedal feel. Both of which can be altered with different pads, fluid and brake hoses.

When you get into brake swaps and stuff you begin to alter your brake bias. Bias is the distribution of brake torque front to rear. By adjusting bias you can easily alter your stopping distance without even knowing it. Increasing front brake torque alone will cause your rear tires to be underworked at the threshold of braking. That results in increased stopping distances which is exactly what most people wouldn't want from their swap. This is also why it's important to choose the correct proportioning valve. Even small things like lowering your car, or changing weight distribution can alter bias.

Here is a great article on understanding bias. I know it's a long read, but it's got lots of very interesting info:

http://stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bra...formance.shtml

PS: Del Sol VTEC (non ABS) and Civic SIR (both have B16a) have smaller front caliper pistons on the 10.2" rotors than Integras for good reason. It allows the rear brakes to work harder which reduces stopping distance. These calipers look like Integra calipers, but only require a 7/8" master cylinder. Personally I would prefer to run this brake setup on a Del Sol with the Del Sol VTEC prop valve. These calipers can be found on any Civic EX without ABS. Unfortunately the pads are bigger than Integras and very expensive. You can run Integra pads if you switch to the Integra caliper bracket with the civic EX caliper.

PPS: ABS cars don't have proportioning valves.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spAdam
EBC pads are toys, and dust like nothing I've ever seen. Go Hawk.

Solid rotors are perfect, just get some decent quality ones, not just the cheapest you can find at Autozone. Brembo blank rotors are reasonably priced.
Yes, Honda factory oem rotors are high quality, and have the most friction area over any slotted/drilled rotors, again for none maniac driving.
I "CAN" lock up all 4 wheels (IF I WANT TO) at 100mph with cold pads with this setup and the parking brake up to 60mph will lock the rears too.
That's good friction, try that with Hawk or any others really.

Hawk are great pads if you drive like a maniac or track use.
But if you want good street brakes, the EBC friction levels beat most hands down for normal to light street racing.
Most don't want to have to wait till the pads warm up before they will grab 100%, the EBC green will work better than most, even cold.
I have used many different types at all prices and prefer the EBC GREEN to anything, but then I drive almost normally.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i talked with the last owner he said that he did the covesion from from a esi hatch, or 4 door 95 abs civic he is not sure.

does it have the 4040 prop valve? or how can i recognized it?

Thanks
where is the prop valve how can i recognized it?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where is the prop valve how can i recognized it?
pop hood.

middle of the firewall there is a metal thing with 6 brake lines coming out of it. thats the prop valve
Old 01-02-2011, 11:35 AM
#1 Super Guy

This is what it looks like. See it has 4040 stamped right above where the two halves are bolted together. It's not a direct fit as only one of those bolt holes will work on your chassis:

BTW: 4040 is specifically found on the 94+ Integra RS. If you are going to get a prop valve for your Del Sol, it would be ideal to get the one from the Del Sol Si or VTEC. It's part number 46210-SR2-003. This one is specifically made for your chassis with rear disc brakes. It's interesting to note that 94 Del Sol Si, and 94 Del Sol VTEC use the same proportioning valve, even though the VTEC has a heavier motor, larger front caliper pistons, larger front rotors, and a larger master cylinder.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you guys, i will check and update tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by itsmejto
Yes, Honda factory oem rotors are high quality, and have the most friction area over any slotted/drilled rotors, again for none maniac driving.
I "CAN" lock up all 4 wheels (IF I WANT TO) at 100mph with cold pads with this setup and the parking brake up to 60mph will lock the rears too.
That's good friction, try that with Hawk or any others really.

Hawk are great pads if you drive like a maniac or track use.
But if you want good street brakes, the EBC friction levels beat most hands down for normal to light street racing.
Most don't want to have to wait till the pads warm up before they will grab 100%, the EBC green will work better than most, even cold.
I have used many different types at all prices and prefer the EBC GREEN to anything, but then I drive almost normally.
Hawk makes all kinds of pads, not just race pads. I've used a few brands over the years, and my favorite for daily street use have almost always been the HP+ (well, actually the oem itr pads. But they only fit in one caliper). They are meant to work cold, but they don't go away when they do get hot... althoguh that is rare on a street car. When I used ebc's, including on a few customer's cars, I thought they felt okay. But thats about it. And they dusted horribly. My opinion of them is that they produce a sub-par product with a good marketing program.

Its semantics though I guess. For 100 different brands come 100 different opinions...

As far a locking up your brakes at 100mph and all that, you should be able to do that with a stock setup. As a poster above said, stopping distances
are much much more a function of tire effectivness than brake effectiveness. Increasing your brake force will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to shorten those distances. Proper brake upgrading is aimed at heat managment and balance control. It is one of the biggest misunderstandings in all of car tuning.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my prop valve is 1725, is it OK or should i replace it to 4040?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 94eg!
This is what it looks like. See it has 4040 stamped right above where the two halves are bolted together. It's not a direct fit as only one of those bolt holes will work on your chassis
Should bolt up fine as long as it's from a '94 - '97 Integra, '90 - '93 requires swapping the bracket.

Originally Posted by 94eg!
BTW: 4040 is specifically found on the 94+ Integra RS. If you are going to get a prop valve for your Del Sol, it would be ideal to get the one from the Del Sol Si or VTEC. It's part number 46210-SR2-003. This one is specifically made for your chassis with rear disc brakes. It's interesting to note that 94 Del Sol Si, and 94 Del Sol VTEC use the same proportioning valve, even though the VTEC has a heavier motor, larger front caliper pistons, larger front rotors, and a larger master cylinder.
Del Sol Vtec uses a 3030 prop valve, so do the JDM SiRs and most Civics with rear drums and small front brakes. The Integra has different front calipers (biggest difference being large caliper pistons, rotors are the same size)
Old 01-08-2011, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if i buy 90-93 integra 4040 does my 1725 bracket will fit to the 4040 valve ?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

someone?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Seagull Management

if i buy 90-93 integra 4040 does my 1725 bracket will fit to the 4040 valve ?
Yes.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you think about OMP pads instead of hp+?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

someone^^^???

and one more thing if i replace the prop valve to 4040 from 1725 and brake cyilinder to 15/16 no need to replace the lines?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:32 AM
Seagull Management

someone^^^???

and one more thing if i replace the prop valve to 4040 from 1725 and brake cyilinder to 15/16 no need to replace the lines?
As long as you use a non ABS MC the lines will fit perfectly.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 PM
#1 Super Guy

The 3030 valve is what comes standard in the drum brake hatchbacks. That's what came in my 94 CX. The 92-95 Si has a 3040 (or 4030). All the ones from the Del Sols have those other odd numbers. Personally I recommend you use the one from a rear-disc del sol (Si or VTEC). Find out what numbers are stamped on that one and see if that's what you already have.

PS: Honda says in the oem shop manual to NEVER disassemble the prop valve. This is why they have those tamper proof screws on them...

The 15/16 MC is only needed if your installing Integra front brakes (which you mentioned are not available to you).