Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake Gurus: Break-in question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Gurus: Break-in question

ok, So I just got my order of brembo blanks and Axxis Ultimate pads. I intsall them. Dont find any break in procedures in the box, so I look on the internet and look for the proper break in procedure.

Well, I didnt find one specific to these pads. But I did look at a website (stoptech.com or somethint) that had a break-in period that they said is the typical way a performance pad is broken in. So I use it. 60-5mph stops, starting with moderate braking, and increasing in severity, about 10 times.

Then as I am putting everything away, there they are, the break in procedure. On the bottom of the box. I looked on the sides, but didnt think to look on the bottom, lol. The proper procedure calls for 40-10mph stops, light to moderate, 10 times. Then it says at the bottom that you should not "ride" the brakes to break them in, because: 1. Excessive heat will be generated 2. Resins will burn 3. Loss of braking efficiency could occur.

NOW, the question: did I just ruin my new pads? For an idea of the braking that occured, they were smoking when I parked it to let them cool. And the last stops were severe.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Brake Gurus: Break-in question (sol2hatch)

Sadly, we can't tell you if you ruined them or not because we're not in your car. You'll know within short order, I'm sure

Always check the bottom of the box.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you say smoking, was it like a light, faint smoke? or was it a heavier smoke?
i've notice sometime when i break in my brakes, they tend to smoke alittle. but that's due to the heat and them being brand new.

i highly doubt though you ruin your brake set up.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:10 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Brake Gurus: Break-in question (philosofy1)

Product - 1 User - 0

Read the box/instruction manual.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Brake Gurus: Break-in question (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sadly, we can't tell you if you ruined them or not because we're not in your car. You'll know within short order, I'm sure

Always check the bottom of the box.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, in a little while I will take her for another spin to see how it rides, listen for any screeching, etc. And test for "loss of braking efficiency" lol.

I guess I am kinda looking for a better explanation of why "resins burning" and "Excessive heat" is bad when breaking in some pads. Excessive heat is basically what some pads call for. And what happens when my "resins" burn? other than smoke and smell bad. lol
Old 03-31-2007, 01:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you say smoking, was it like a light, faint smoke? or was it a heavier smoke?
i've notice sometime when i break in my brakes, they tend to smoke alittle. but that's due to the heat and them being brand new.

i highly doubt though you ruin your brake set up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it was a light faint smoke. Defenitaly noticable, but not really heavy.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Product - 1 User - 0

Read the box/instruction manual.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

you shut up, I did read and follow instructions, just the wrong ones, lol. Who puts the break-in procedure on the bottom of the box, honestly!
Old 03-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you shut up, I did read and follow instructions, just the wrong ones, lol. Who puts the break-in procedure on the bottom of the box, honestly! </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's why you look through the whole box before starting the install. and if the directions weren't there then you call tech support.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
that's why you look through the whole box before starting the install. and if the directions weren't there then you call tech support. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, don't try and guesstimate a breakin procedure on your BRAKES
Old 03-31-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Brake Gurus: Break-in question (ek forever guy)

i didnt guesstimate anything. I looked for awhile for the specific procedure. Anyway. I am going for a drive, its a beautiful day now that all the crappy rain is gone.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Let us now how it goes. You'll be fine I'm sure.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Brake Gurus: Break-in question (ek forever guy)

its all good. Still bites hard, no squealing (except a faint squeal once, but thats to be expected with these pads I suppose). Feels good to have fresh pads and rotors again.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm a Jackass

your find dude
Old 03-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its all good. Still bites hard, no squealing (except a faint squeal once, but thats to be expected with these pads I suppose). Feels good to have fresh pads and rotors again. </TD></TR></TABLE>