Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake caliper quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:11 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Brake caliper quality

I need actual experience here, not just people assuming one thing or another. If you don't KNOW, please do not bother to post. Thanks.

So I'm wondering if anyone has seen quality differences from a Honda OE brake caliper to one from, say, Autozone?

I need to replace the caliper and Honda's will almost definitely not be in stock, but from what I recall, Autozone at least has it stocked locally.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake caliper quality

When I replaced mine on my GSR last year I went with a Advance Auto caliper, I think it was Beck/Arnley. Anyway, upon inspection it looked good and worked fine up until I sold the car.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:09 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

If you get the reman ones, they are in fact Genuine Honda calipers. The piston is inspected and all gaskets are replaced. And of course, it is cleaned up and repainted. As for the "new" ones (at Autozone), they are OEM spec calipers....not Genuine Honda.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This isn't my "personal" experience, but my friend bought 2 rear calipers from autozone, and they rusted within a few months.
They worked just fine, but ugly as hell.. I didn't notice any difference in quality between them and his old OEM ones.

There's a company on here that sells rebuilt OEM calipers.

EDIT- Here it is.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/vendor-hidden-locked-threads-125/oem-honda-acura-brake-calipers-get-core-credit-your-old-ones-awesome-deals-2718592/

$70.08 per Rear Caliper (+ $65 core charge each)
Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
There's a company on here that sells rebuilt OEM calipers.
I'm guessing she needs something now which is why she was saying she doubts Honda has them in stock.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 AM
H-T White Ops

I'll put it this way.

Last summer I purchased a full rear trailing arm setup from a '99-'00 Civic Si in order to go onto my '98 Civic EX. $500 and it was beautiful. It still is beautiful...

Except that there's a whole 40 miles on that and my engine swap (and a lot of other things I did to the car last summer) because I noticed a grinding sound coming from my rear brakes.

Seems the pads were making continual contact with the rotors. I was told by someone that this is normal... but that seemed strange.

Either way, after 40 miles the driver one seized up.

I would like to eventually drive my car again and sooner is definitely better at this point.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From personal experience coming from a honda tech (me), over 40% of our brake problems come from remanufactured calipers that some backyard mechanic installed for a case of beer. Most common problem with them is leaking from the seals to the rotor/pads and causing a burning smell... The other problems are usually seizing...
btw this problem is more common to autozone remanufactured calipers for CRV's... dont ask me why
Old 06-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does Autozone carry Centric parts?
Old 06-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we used to use reman all the time when i worked for toyota be cause the factory parts where like 3 times the price and all you got was the caliper no saddle,slide pins or shims we got a few bad ones here and there but they usally failed right away so no proplem with warranty.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
If you get the reman ones, they are in fact Genuine Honda calipers.
That's not true, it could be from anywhere.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
I'm guessing she needs something now which is why she was saying she doubts Honda has them in stock.
He had them in stock when I PM'd him not to long ago.

That sucks, I bought SI brakes front/rear for my car, and was too lazy to check the calipers. A week or 2 later I am tearing everything apart, and 3 calipers are frozen.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 PM
H-T White Ops

Called Honda today but the connection was bad and then I forgot to call again later in the day because I was so busy.
He had them in stock when I PM'd him not to long ago.

That sucks, I bought SI brakes front/rear for my car, and was too lazy to check the calipers. A week or 2 later I am tearing everything apart, and 3 calipers are frozen.
But Honda is about 8 miles from me and Seattle is a trip.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Of the 50 or so sets of OEM Rear Calipers for 92-00 Civic and 90-01 Integra models I have seen, all have been NISSIN-stamped "NISSIN 7CLP13S". I have seen one pair wth an "R3" embossed on it, but the Piston and Bore were seemingly identical to the other ones I have...

There are several vendors that provide reman'd/rebuilt Calipers, and each one has their own finish. Some are Zinc-coated, while others are simply soda-blasted. I purchased 2 pairs of Front Calipers from Pep Boys (PB brand), and they are de-rusted, but unpolished. There was also a single caliper that came rusted, which they were able to replace, but for the most part all of the "Aftermarket" NISSIN Calipers available at local stores were untreated, and ready for rust.

I would plan on spraying them with engine enamel or high-temp caliper paint before mounting them.

Best to you, NOFX! Good to see you 'round again.
JasonGhostz
Old 06-10-2011, 10:49 PM
H-T White Ops

Hmm.. I'd rather the one I get match the other three OE ones.

What do you mean about seeing me around again? I never left. lol
Old 06-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have never owned a car long enough to know the autozone has failed. but my crx had all 4 calipers from autozone and they worked great. they 1 of them did rust but it was bare i didnt coat it or anything and it sat for a long time

ive installed alot for them on others cars also with no problems.

but i can guarantee you they are not honda quality parts. not even compatible. a genuine honda part will last a ton longer. ive had 10 year old cars with honda calipers so id go ahead and get them from honda. its not like its something that wears out.
another thing is never buy autozone calipers. i have been through about 3 sets in my brothers accord and as soon a we switched to honda pads and rotors the car performed better without the brake wobble
Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by NOFX
Called Honda today but the connection was bad and then I forgot to call again later in the day because I was so busy.

But Honda is about 8 miles from me and Seattle is a trip.
Oh. Do you know what a caliper from Honda runs?
I guess it would come down to cost for me. lol
Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 PM
H-T White Ops

Oh. Do you know what a caliper from Honda runs?
I guess it would come down to cost for me. lol
Honda Parts Deals lists it at about $165, their price is $120.

This is for the Civic though, this isn't just for a DD or anything. So I'm leaning toward Honda because it has to be perfect.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm.. I'd rather the one I get match the other three OE ones.
I feel similarly. The Rear Calipers with the "R3" embossed on the Caliper Body were from the set I purchased from PWDJDM... 6 years ago.
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7426/dsc00017da.jpg
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3606/dsc00037apw.jpg
I believe they are from either a Del Sol or Civic, as all other sets I've seen (from 90-01 Integra models) lacked this... I still have yet to get up close and personal with any SI's (they don't come by the 'yard I go to very often).
Next time I go to the 'yard, I'll look at the older pre-90's Integra rears to see if the "R3" is there... Just make sure whichever you get matches up.

What do you mean about seeing me around again? I never left. lol
Ha!, sorry. I've been away for a while, and have always appreciated your informative contributions. I remember seeing a "banned" period, which greatly surprised me, and it's good to see you've been reinstated.

If you need help, lemme know. I have: a pair of 7CLP13S's that are painted (VHT Clear); another de-rusted and polished, but disassembled; and another dirty/rusty/disassembled. This is the same Rear Left Caliper as above. The light-colored stuff around the Parking Brake Cam Seal is left-over adhesive after I painted it, and has since been removed.
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/8452/si851323.jpg
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5339/si851310.jpg
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/923/si851317.jpg
!!

Take Care, and GL!
JasonGhostz
Old 06-11-2011, 12:54 AM
H-T White Ops

Oh yeah, I was banned awhile back by Type X. I think around that time that was something like a right of passage though.

I'd have to go check my caliper, but I'll probably just go with a Honda one. I need the car up and driving by a certain date.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:37 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nissin makes excellent brake components. That's all I've got to say.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you sure the calipers need to be replaced? How bad is the grinding? Slight grinding actually is a little normal, maybe the person who did the brakes last forgot to lube all the hardware. Are the pads wearing evenly? I have "fixed" a few brake problems by simply lubing the hardware. The slide pins are most important.

Also, I have only once seen a caliper so frozen it couldn't be rebuilt; and it only takes about 15 minutes to rebuild them.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They are Duralast calipers. Yes they are magnificent.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 AM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by flush_EJ1
Are you sure the calipers need to be replaced? How bad is the grinding? Slight grinding actually is a little normal, maybe the person who did the brakes last forgot to lube all the hardware. Are the pads wearing evenly? I have "fixed" a few brake problems by simply lubing the hardware. The slide pins are most important.

Also, I have only once seen a caliper so frozen it couldn't be rebuilt; and it only takes about 15 minutes to rebuild them.
These are a fully refurbished rear brake setup, on trailing arms.

Pads wore evenly. Haven't touched the car for awhile, but it's been confirmed by friends checking and saying, "Oh ****! Yeah, that's seized."
Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Master Detailer

Honda Parts Deals lists it at about $165, their price is $120.

This is for the Civic though, this isn't just for a DD or anything. So I'm leaning toward Honda because it has to be perfect.
Oh, that's a lot. lol

I hear you. are the OEM pieces rebuilt or new?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:38 AM
H-T White Ops

Honda generally lists if an item is remanufactured and includes RM at the end of the part number. The ones I saw listed were brand new.

Edit: I misread. See below.

Last edited by NOFX; 06-11-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake caliper quality