Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake Caliper Problem

Old 08-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Problem

So I replaced the rear pads on my 2000 civic si. When I put the new pads on it was tight to the point that I could hardly spin the wheel. I tried driving to see if it would just loosen up however it didnt and the pads started to smoke they got so hot. I took the wheel off and I noticed that the bottom portion of the pad was the part touching. The thing I noticed also was you know the 2 bolts that hold the calipers on, the top one and bottom one. There is this spring like thing that holds the bolt into and it moves in and out. Well the bottom one does not move at all, it looks like it should but it doesnt. Is it supposed to? It has that rubber boot thing on it so to me it looks like it should be able to move inward and out. Please help! The caliper is compressed all the way and that went smooth but its just that on the bottom I need a little bit more space and if the bottom bolt part acted like the top it would work perfectly.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Caliper Problem

Originally Posted by jumpin4abeat
So I replaced the rear pads on my 2000 civic si. When I put the new pads on it was tight to the point that I could hardly spin the wheel. I tried driving to see if it would just loosen up however it didnt and the pads started to smoke they got so hot. I took the wheel off and I noticed that the bottom portion of the pad was the part touching. The thing I noticed also was you know the 2 bolts that hold the calipers on, the top one and bottom one. There is this spring like thing that holds the bolt into and it moves in and out. Well the bottom one does not move at all, it looks like it should but it doesnt. Is it supposed to? It has that rubber boot thing on it so to me it looks like it should be able to move inward and out. Please help! The caliper is compressed all the way and that went smooth but its just that on the bottom I need a little bit more space and if the bottom bolt part acted like the top it would work perfectly.
Those called the slider pins and they should be absolutely free and greased with special grease.also the caliper bracket should be very cleaned (under the anti rattle clips).
Old 09-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you replace just one of the slider pinsa or is it all one piece? It is siezed up to the point of noty returning. I even tried to hammer it and it would not move
Old 09-01-2011, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jumpin4abeat
can you replace just one of the slider pinsa or is it all one piece? It is siezed up to the point of noty returning. I even tried to hammer it and it would not move
Yes the pins are replacable. But if they are seized in the caliper moutning bracket, there is really no way to get them out without heating them up and a vise. If you cannot free up and remove the slide pins, I would replace the brake caliper moutning bracket. Replacment brackets come with the pins installed. Check your local parts store or dealer.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the only shops around me are auto zone, pep boys, and advnace auto parts. I looked at all of them and auto zone is the only one that has the caliper bracket however it does not come with the pins. Is it hard to put them in? I tried to find a diy on how to change the caliper bracket and pins but can not find one. Any ideas? Or is it easy if you have the new bracket?
Originally Posted by 4dohs4mohoes
Yes the pins are replacable. But if they are seized in the caliper moutning bracket, there is really no way to get them out without heating them up and a vise. If you cannot free up and remove the slide pins, I would replace the brake caliper moutning bracket. Replacment brackets come with the pins installed. Check your local parts store or dealer.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The rubber boot fits in a grove in the hoele on the caliper bracket, put some BRAKE GREASE ONLY in the hole, push the pin threw the boot into the bracket and your done.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fliptard
The rubber boot fits in a grove in the hoele on the caliper bracket, put some BRAKE GREASE ONLY in the hole, push the pin threw the boot into the bracket and your done.
Yep.