Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Braided cluth line extremely hot!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braided cluth line extremely hot!! Help!

I was putting my b18c into my 99 ej6 last night and i hooked my power up and my ground and then i started to mess around with the interior, when i came back out like five minutes later i saw smoke rolling out of the bay. The braided clutch line was sooo insanely hot that is was smoking. Then i detached the power and ground from the battery and it started to cool down. Has anyone ever heard of this happening or have any reasons as to why it would happen? Any help would be great, Please let me know
Old 04-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Braided cluth line extremely hot!! Help!

maybe you hooked up the battery wrong, by any chance are you bypassing the battery fuse under the hood??

Check around for any burnt wires, you probably hooked up the battery in a way where electricity poured through the braided lines and went somewhere. Be happy you did not cause a fire. Pics=] of damage and battery and fusebox would be nice.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you mix up the positive and negative connections by any chance?

Other than that, it probably is a short somewhere.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the clutch line was touching a 12V Positive somewhere and grounding it out. make sure you don't have any loose wires around the clutch line.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha u have a bad ground..or bad grounds..make sure you hooked up all your ground wires..and if i were you i'd probably add an extra ground wire just in case..what happens is if you dont have good grounds or enough grounds the electricity will find a ground..and it tried to find a ground through your clutch line..there was most likely a point where the line was touching..like the tranny or any other metal and it tried to ground itself there..you didnt hook the battery up wrong or anything like that..just get your grounds rite and you'll be good..
Old 04-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not a ground problem. The clutch line is probably grounded already and hot wire is touching it somewhere so it's a short. But it doesn't have to be 12V, it could be from a 5V source (like a sensor or something).
Old 04-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a ground problem trust me..and where would the clutch line be grounded?? doesnt matter if its grounded or not..if more grounding is needed it will try to pick it up where ever it can..theres no hot wire touching it..same thing happened to me with my stainless oil feed for my turbo..i didnt have enough grounds and it started smoking where it was touching the tranny..burned up my feed line in the spot where it was touching..connected my grounds and erything was fine..
Old 04-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fix it right the first time or you might end up like this bad *** Del sol at the Movies. The owner came out of a great movie all happy untill he seen firemen surrounding his car putting a HUGE fire out. complete loss of everything.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostatic
haha u have a bad ground..or bad grounds..make sure you hooked up all your ground wires..and if i were you i'd probably add an extra ground wire just in case..what happens is if you dont have good grounds or enough grounds the electricity will find a ground..and it tried to find a ground through your clutch line..there was most likely a point where the line was touching..like the tranny or any other metal and it tried to ground itself there..you didnt hook the battery up wrong or anything like that..just get your grounds rite and you'll be good..
this is what happened

because there is something shorting out further upstream on the engine... check the alternator's charging line and all the battery cables around the starter. the car just sitting in the garage shouldn't be sending that much electricity anywhere. and being that it is sending it through the clutch line, add a new ground when you get it fixed cause the ones you have apparently suck.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:47 PM

Thanks for all the input guys! Yea the engine isnt even fully mounted up yet, just the rear mount. And I'm pretty positive nothing is touching the clutch line. It definatly has to be a ground tho cause I've only got the battery ground hooked up. So Im going to chick it out tonight when i get out to the garage and hook up some more grounds. Ill come back and let you guys know what happens and thanks again everyone
Old 04-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the engine is using th clutch line as a ground from it to th body you need more ground from the body to the engine
Old 04-12-2009, 07:00 PM

Alright as soon as i got done typing that I thought about it and i figured it out. Which it is very stupid. Of course it is always the dumbest thing. But anyways there is no grounds coming off the engine. The power is going to the starter and the alternator but there is no ground anywhere, and the only thing for it to ground to is the clutch line which was the only thing hooked up to the motor. I know thats pretty stupid i must have just had a brain fart. Thanks my fellow honda-tech friends and you guys are pretty darn smart
Old 04-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought you had your engine grounded (doh), that's why I suggested a hot line shorting somewhere. Glad you figured it out.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 PM

Yea when I thought of it I felt pretty stupid. Just one of those days...
Old 04-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondav323
Yea when I thought of it I felt pretty stupid. Just one of those days...
i feel ya.

monday/sunday they all rhyme