Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

BOV wont go off in idle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV wont go off in idle?

I was wondering, shouldnt i be able to blow off my BOV when reving it in Neutral? I rev, nothing happens. is there a way to adjust this. I dont think it is adjucted right. Any sugggestions appriciated.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: BOV wont go off in idle? (CrazyCRxXx)

Many turbos only build boost when under load.

I couldn't blow off with my greddy kit on my d series until like 5500 rpms.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you don't boost in when not in gear, so you wont blow off
Old 09-30-2004, 09:21 PM

Default Re: BOV wont go off in idle? (slammed_93_hatch)

That is what i figured, but my buddy keeps telling me i should be able to? He says eclipses will do it? O well, i know my bov is adjustable, what and how do i know when it is adjusted right?
Old 09-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bet if you rev to 5-7k, you will hear the bov..but why would you want to do that?
Old 09-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xtremeazian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xtremeazian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bet if you rev to 5-7k, you will hear the bov..but why would you want to do that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

scare some1 off the line so he can back down. hahah. i heard that u can adjust the bov to release at certain rpm's.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Ignitecivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ignitecivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

scare some1 off the line so he can back down. hahah. i heard that u can adjust the bov to release at certain rpm's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

then you might as well get an electronic BOV, you can trigger that at a push of a button
Old 10-01-2004, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eddiebx)

why cant u boost under load (or in gear) all my friends cars are like this and it made me wonder hwy
Old 10-01-2004, 02:22 AM

Default Re: (bonta-kun)

if you wanna scare him...throw on some naawwzz and purge...I'd back down if my juice wasn't hooked up. =o)
Old 10-01-2004, 06:06 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (murmur9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrazyCRxXx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is what i figured, but my buddy keeps telling me i should be able to? He says eclipses will do it? O well, i know my bov is adjustable, what and how do i know when it is adjusted right?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The Eclipse's do blow off but you have to rev from 5-redline to do it.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:55 PM

Its weird i can rev my car to 7000 in idle or in 1st and it wont blow off, but when i am driving, it will blow off in 4000 in first or second etc. That is why i thought there was something wrong with it. Will the way you have it adjusted affect the way it works?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the blow off valve will sound but its probably your exhaust that doesnt allow you to hear. mine blows off at the touch of the throttle its just that the exhaust is kinda loud and when i'm in the car i don't hear it. try this... open the hood hit the throttle with your hand and keep one hand at the opening of the bov you should feel cool air shoot out and if you continuously hit the throttle on and off rapidly you should be able to hear it a little bit. see if that works.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

you can' blow off unless you create boost at with having a load. you need a load on your enigne to create boost.

the BOV blows off so that all that air that the trubo is trying to get into the motor after you let off the gass doesn't get thrown back into the turbine and **** your turbo.

im pretty sure this is how it works, i could be wrong though
Old 10-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (slammed_93_hatch)

actually as soon as the throttle plate closes there is still air in the intake which will exit through the blow off valve. the pressure will just make it louder and more air exit. that doesn't mean that all the air enters the combustion chamber.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Electrician

Why?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:45 PM

i can get a wrx to blow off in neutral very easily. shouldnt all BOVs work like this?
Old 10-01-2004, 03:58 PM

Default Re: (h23eg)

My Turbo Xs, BOV there are threads going around the whole thing, you can adjust it, by spinning, does anyone know what this sound be set to, all the way counterclockwise (all the way down) or in the middle?
Old 10-01-2004, 04:40 PM

Hahah thats the funniest **** i have ever heard. Where you in a four car race with a rx7,supra and a s2000 and you couldnt make your BOV sound, or the flames come out of your exhaust?? hahha

but ya not enough boost in netural, just look at your boost gauge
Old 10-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (blaster834)

Your turbo is too big to build enough pressure in neutral.

DSM's and other factory turbo cars have very small turbo's on them so they have great low down tourqe, this make them able to rev up and the bov go off in neutral.

If you have a smaller turbo or switched your turbine house to a small one, you would be able to make your bov go off in neutral.

originally with my turbo I could not make the bov go off in neutral either with a apex twin chamer bov, i switched to hks ssq cause I liked it better and i can sorta hear it now when i rev the **** out of the motor in neutral.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your turbo is too big to build enough pressure in neutral.

DSM's and other factory turbo cars have very small turbo's on them so they have great low down tourqe, this make them able to rev up and the bov go off in neutral.

If you have a smaller turbo or switched your turbine house to a small one, you would be able to make your bov go off in neutral.

originally with my turbo I could not make the bov go off in neutral either with a apex twin chamer bov, i switched to hks ssq cause I liked it better and i can sorta hear it now when i rev the **** out of the motor in neutral.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. My RB20 in my 240sx was able to blow off with in neutral.

Why did I do it....I dont know. It was my first turbo car and it sounded bad ***. I think it is kinda silly now....
Old 10-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LIke they said pop your hood your blow off valve will be purging even in neutral. It might not be letting off very loud but it is. Just hit the throttle by hand with the hood popped with the turbo xs bov you can see it working and can hear it a little.

What's the point of wanting to hear your bov in neutral anyway? I wish mine didn't make any sound. I originally had a first gen dsm piped back into the intake and that was great no sound at all. I now have one of the turbo xs and it makes too much noise for me.....
Old 10-01-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Re: (fishnfst)

I reved mine to like 6 7 grand in nuetral with hood open, I am getting no air flow what so ever, that is why i dont think my BOV is working correctly, it blows off when i am driving in second ,third etc. I know that the TurboXs is adjustable, nobody has said anything about adjusting it. The whole sleeve spins on the BOV, when you spin it clockwise it is all the was down towards the bottom. Counterclockwise will open it up to top. What should it be set to ? Doesnt anyone have this BOV?
Old 10-03-2004, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CrazyCRxXx)

i'm not a turbo expert but i think the adjustable screw/nut on top is for when you have a leaking bov. like when your on the gas and bov is leaking the air pressure. if this is happening then you need to adjust the screw. i have never really heard of a bov only going off in 3rd and 4th gear. Whats your vacuum source... it may not be strong enough to open up the bov.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Re: (brixity)

you're not going to hear anything revving in neutral because your turbo doesn't have enough time to get going fast enough to make any pressure. There's a certain rate that the turbo can accelerate at which is controlled by how much gas is going through the turbine over time. It blows in low revs while driving because theres so much more time for it to get going. it's a little like trying to blip the throttle on an engine that has a stupidly heavy flywheel, and expecting it to hit 5krpm. it's just too heavy to do that in such a short time. some cars can actually blow boost in neutral because their turbo is so much smaller therfore lighter and/or the engine is so much larger therfore providig more driving force of gasflow to the turbine. Just to be complete, I should point out that different turbine designs/ratios will behave differently, probably not enough to make a difference in your particular situation. as well, if you stood on the rev limiter for a time and then let go, you just might be able to hear a little something form under the hood that's not pistons meeting firewall...
Old 10-25-2004, 12:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (SparkyCivic)

I definately agree with the post above. Another thing, try oiling the piston in the BOV...my buddy has the Turbo XS RFL, and you gotta be careful with it getting stuck. Check to see if that helps.....

Quick Reply: BOV wont go off in idle?