Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bouncing Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bouncing Speedometer

Hey,
I have an EG with a JDM GSR swap. The day before I got my transmission swapped I started getting this bouncy Speedo problem. Put the b16 trans with the kaaz lsd in which had a different vehicle speed sensor. Same problem happens. Sometimes while driving it will stop bouncing and go normal then come back. I have another VSC that I got off a friend that I can try and I am going to look over the wiring. Any Ideas what it could be or tips and what I should look at…I am no pro when it comes to wiring.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bouncing Speedometer (Paul-eg)

Try the new VSS first. It just takes about 5 minutes to change. Mine jumps every now and then, but i don't mess with it. As long as it returns to normal and its not a frequent thing, i would'nt waste any money on it.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:10 AM
HRD PKR

Default Re: Bouncing Speedometer (EKstacy)

Yeah i would def try a VSS first, Check for corrision in the vss and in the plug.

Alot of times what happens is the pin comes loose in the vss from corrision
Old 01-28-2008, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bouncing Speedometer (B16B_coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16B_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah i would def try a VSS first, Check for corrision in the vss and in the plug.

Alot of times what happens is the pin comes loose in the vss from corrision</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 01-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bouncing Speedometer (DCSportEJ1Civic)

Well i took the vss and cleaned it all. Everything looked good. Blew out the plug. Same thing happens except that after driving for a bit it usually stops and starts goin normal? What could it be?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had this problem. it turn out it was the chip in my speedometer cluster. the piece of chip is located in the cluster, right behind the "mph" test out what you have to test. don't forget my suggestion. it might save you from a big head ache.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

if its happening with multiple VSS, take a look at the connector, it might have corrosion, causing a poor connection

gl
Old 01-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egsleepercivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lv6l &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had this problem. it turn out it was the chip in my speedometer cluster. the piece of chip is located in the cluster, right behind the "mph" test out what you have to test. don't forget my suggestion. it might save you from a big head ache.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you mean test out what you have to test? Your recomending pulling the cluster out and...?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Paul-eg)

alright... I took the cluster off imbehind i noticed that two of the hook up werent hooked up the yellow and green one (two in the middle of the cluster). I noticed that the yellow one turns on the SRS light so i left that off and the green one? I left the green one pluged in. Dont think it fixed the problem though. I wasnt able to drive it because its startin to snow here and i want to leave it in the garage. Any ideas now... By the sounds of it i think its my cluster?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the underdash fuse for the VSS also, if that is blown you won't get a working speedo with any VSS... May have blown for some reason, worth a look.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paul-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what do you mean test out what you have to test? Your recomending pulling the cluster out and...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

what i mean is, test out all VSS to make sure they are working properly, all fuses to make sure they are good. etc. i stated that make sure to check the chip in the cluster behind the speedometer. i learn the hard way and had to check a lot of things and was told by many members and peers that it has to do with VSS but in the end, it was the stupid chip in the cluster.

directions to remove chip. from what i can remember.
assuming that you have a 92-95 honda civic.
-take out dash. there should be a screw behind your "hazard" button and two above the cluster.
-after removing those screws, use a flat head screw driver to pray open the dash cover.
-remove the 4 screw that is holding the cluster in place. 2 will be on the right of the cluster, the other 2 will be on the left of the cluster.
-next take the cluster out, unplug everything. the cluster comes in 3 pieces. a clear piece (front), a black piece (middle), and a white piece (back).
-separate the black piece from the white piece. (your tip of your trip reset button comes off. carefully pull it off.
-next step after separating the black piece from the white piece, unscrew the 3 screw on the back of the cluster. (the 3 middle at the highest elevation of the cluster)
-take the speedometer out and flip it around.

you should now be able to see the chip i am talking about. the chip board is the size of your palm. it is located in the middle, behind the speedometer. it is holding onto your milage counter with some plastic retainers.

replacing this fixed my speedometer needle from randomly jumping at times.
good luck and feel free to ask me if you need any help. i can provide pictures if you like.

ps. the yellow plug is for SRS, the green is for cruise.

note* changing the chipboard does not effect your current millage.

Modified by lv6l at 4:30 AM 1/29/2008
Old 01-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lv6l)

Ok so i understand now that the chipboard your talking about is inside the cluster. Where can i get one of these boards to replace into mine? Also pictures would be great
Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i private messaged you back. check your messages.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-29-2008, 04:07 AM
HRD PKR

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paul-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i took the vss and cleaned it all. Everything looked good. Blew out the plug. Same thing happens except that after driving for a bit it usually stops and starts goin normal? What could it be?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Was the pins loose in the VSS?
When you replaced the vss last time did you replace the gear to?
Have you tested the connector?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the latest on the problem, I have the same problem but mine totally doesn't work. I'm trying to diagnose the problem as well. let me know
thanks,
matt
Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You have a bad speedometer head. Fairly common for '92-95 Civics. Try a different gauge cluster.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Still sounds like your VSS too me, my eg did this same thing awhile ago, would bounce around like mad, then completely stop then go back too normal, until finally it quit completely, bought a brand new VSS with a lifetime warranty on ebay and everything works great! the vss was only like $25 or less on ebay, with lifetime warranty!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VtecCivic93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VtecCivic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Still sounds like your VSS too me, my eg did this same thing awhile ago, would bounce around like mad, then completely stop then go back too normal, until finally it quit completely, bought a brand new VSS with a lifetime warranty on ebay and everything works great! the vss was only like $25 or less on ebay, with lifetime warranty!</TD></TR></TABLE>
What are the odds of having a new trans put in with another bad VSS?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a bad speedometer head. Fairly common for '92-95 Civics. Try a different gauge cluster.</TD></TR></TABLE>
So pretty much replacing that board behind the ecu would fix this? I dont want to get a different cluster to mess with the km readings for uinsurance purposes...not like i really care.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I emailed you the things you need to do to replace the chipboard behind the speedometer. you do not need to get a new cluster. its a waste of money and you will mess up your millage. if you don't think its the VSS, try my method. this thread is starting to sound more and more like mine a while back. everyone keeps telling me its my VSS. oh wells. in the end, we'll all know. good luck then.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:36 PM

Yea im going to try it out. I just gotta get a cluster from a junkyard that i can take apart. Its just weird how it stops after driving for a bit and goes fine. Once i get a 92-95 cluster and do it i will let you guys know!

Paul
Old 02-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well today i did exactly what he said and swaped the chip imbehind the speedo..... Worked perfectly!!! My speedo now reads accuratly and doesnt bounce around at all!

Thanks
Old 02-03-2008, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Bouncing Speedometer (B16B_coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16B_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah i would def try a VSS first, Check for corrision in the vss and in the plug.

Alot of times what happens is the pin comes loose in the vss from corrision</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, what i tell ya. glad to hear it works now.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:41 PM

i bought a kaaz lsd for a b16 tranny and the speedometer ring gear that goes on the lsd right behind the bearing doesnt fit . the speedo gear is too small for the lsd ,any body with this problem...
Old 03-02-2008, 06:23 PM

Default Re: (egsleepercivic)

I have a 96 Honda Civic EX. The speedometer quit so I replaced the VSS and it still doesnt work. I've cleaned the ends and tried that. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
JD

Quick Reply: Bouncing Speedometer