Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bought a turbo kit from someone on this board and got screwed, what is my recourse?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a turbo kit from someone on this board and got screwed, what is my recourse?

Ok, a couple weeks back someone from this board emailed me after reading one of my threads and offered me his turbo kit that he was trying to sell. Turns out it is a D-series kit (and a VERY incomplete one at that) and I need a B-series kit for my '00 Civic Si. I of course didn't realize this until I took the parts into an aftermarket shop to have them installed. They said at best I have about $200 of useable parts that I just paid $800 for. I have talked to the seller, he apparently knows only slightly more than I do about the kit as he believes that since he pulled the kit off his 98 civic, that it would work on my '00 Si. The seller refuses to return my money. I'm not really sure what I can do from here. I paid him through Paypal, is there a chance I'll be able to recover the funds that way?

Modified by mcastleberg at 4:46 PM 12/21/2005
Old 12-21-2005, 03:43 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Bought a turbo kit from someone on this board and got screwed, what is my recourse? (mcastleberg

I guess if nothings broken, try to re-sell it on ebay

And I think more than $200 worth is usable. Riggage

What kind of kit is it?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Bought a turbo kit from someone on this board and got screwed, what is my recourse? (mcastleberg

It appears to be the Greddy TD04H-19T. I have the following parts :
turbo
turbo manifold

outlet elbow
fuel computer
intake pipe
charge pipe

boost guage

The turbo and turbo manifold are Greddy, the rest of the parts who knows.

Modified by mcastleberg at 8:49 PM 12/21/2005
Old 12-21-2005, 07:57 PM

Any other opinions guys?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you still have more money ....just get a manifold for the turbo and complete the kit .......
Old 12-21-2005, 08:03 PM

I have the manifold. The guy at the aftermarket shop seemed pretty surprised at all the stuff I was missing but that wasn't one of the things. Mosted of it sounded like piping and other miscellaneous pieces. Obviously I don't know much about it.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:12 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (mcastleberg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcastleberg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the manifold. The guy at the aftermarket shop seemed pretty surprised at all the stuff I was missing but that wasn't one of the things. Mosted of it sounded like piping and other miscellaneous pieces. Obviously I don't know much about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You better be sure about that. If the previous owner used it on a D-series, I'm pretty sure it won't fit onto a B-series
Old 12-21-2005, 08:13 PM

Hence my problem.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: (SkoundrelUSA)

Or are you saying that all I need is a different manifold and I can use the rest of the pieces I have?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you would only need a new mani and downpipe, but by them saying you only have about $200 worth of stuff, my guess is your turbo has blown seals or something else wrong with it, which is common with used turbos (the turbo i bought from my friends cousin a long time ago ended up having blown seals )
Old 12-21-2005, 09:16 PM
H-T Poker champion

Just for future reference:

Before you invest in something that is going to cost you a lot of money (say 800 dollars) do some research and find out what exactly you need, what is included in what you are paying for, etc. etc.

It's your own fault for purchasing something you know nothing about. The most you can do is contact PayPal and tell them what happened and how you did not get what you expected. They may freeze the guy's account or something.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:23 PM
B A N N E D

since you paid through paypal you can dispute the amount with your card issuer. (Visa) I do some credit card processing so if you need help lmk
Old 12-21-2005, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kaoss_11)

best advice: do some research next time

you cant just buy stuff not knowing what your getting into then try to take action against the seller. if you had maybe spent a day or two researching this would not have happened.

also theres probably more then two hundred dollars worth of parts. once again, do your homework so you wont get screwed.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Re: (kaoss_11)

I thought I DID do enough research, I emailed Greddy about it for crap's sake! I'll copy in the email that I sent to Greddy and the reply they sent me.

ME -
"Whats the difference between the TD04H-19T and the TDO5H-18G? I am considering purchasing the TD04H for my 2000 Honda Civic SI from a private party, but I see on your website that this kit is for the EX and the TD05H is for the SI. Am I going to have problems with this?"

THEM -
"The difference between the TD04H-19T and the TD05H-18G is about 50hp at maximum capacity. The larger exhaust housing is a lot better suited for the higher compression, higher revving motor. With this setup you will definetly make more power at the same boost rather than the TD04 turbocharger. Thanks for the email."

As you can see they said NOTHING about the TD04 not working with my vehicle and from reading my email they knew that I had a '00 Si. So, I really appreciate everyone's efforts who is going to post here and tell me its all my fault. (sarcasm intended) But, I thought hearing it from the manufacturer themselves was good enough.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:36 AM

actually that turbo will work for your car, just depends on how much power you really want and if you can actauly be mature about having a turbo! Just dont blow your motor in 2 days of boosting!...just about almost alot of turbos will work. You need the correct manifold, bolt up plate, fmu, injectors (if desired), correct downpipe, and make sure the turbo SPINS FREELY (the inside fins) if not then opps better get a new one. Make sure it doesnt wiggle either. Boosting is going to cost you alot, ei: more frequent oil changes.
Sorry not to bash on you but what you did was not really "research" go here
http://www.homemadeturbo.com
i think thats the link..correct me if i am wrong, those guys will help you with more info thatn you need! Also tell you what really actually works well with your car or not!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (*****est_raver)

just work with what you can use. resale the leftover crap on ebay or here in the classifieds. buy whatever is left that you need. and yea be mature about it. GL
Old 12-22-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: (dohcVTECeg2)

You can use the kit on your b series if you are handy with grinder and don't mind doing a little ghetto fabbing I have seen it done and the kit made decent power. If you don't know much about turbos, what is needed or anything like that you may be better off selling everything you just bought for $800 to get your money back then buying or making a kit for you B16.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:07 AM
H-T Poker champion

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcastleberg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As you can see they said NOTHING about the TD04 not working with my vehicle and from reading my email they knew that I had a '00 Si. So, I really appreciate everyone's efforts who is going to post here and tell me its all my fault. (sarcasm intended) But, I thought hearing it from the manufacturer themselves was good enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you find out everything that is included IN a turbo kit from Greedy? Did you find out what was included IN the kit you were purchasing? Did you have any idea what you were getting yourself into?

If you had done the PROPER research, you would have known all these things.. You would also know that the reason the turbo kit wont work on your current engine is probably because of the manifold the turbo came with.

You didnt do **** for research. All you did was e-mail Greedy about the difference between the two TURBOS. There is a lot more to turboing a car than just the TURBOS. Dont get snippy with me. You're a moron who did no proper research on something you knew nothing about before purchasing it. You. Are. An. Idiot.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so your mad cuz you didnt know what u were buying ? or cuz the guy didnt know what he was selling ? or cuz u didnt know what you needed ?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you find out everything that is included IN a turbo kit from Greedy? Did you find out what was included IN the kit you were purchasing? Did you have any idea what you were getting yourself into?

If you had done the PROPER research, you would have known all these things.. You would also know that the reason the turbo kit wont work on your current engine is probably because of the manifold the turbo came with.

You didnt do **** for research. All you did was e-mail Greedy about the difference between the two TURBOS. There is a lot more to turboing a car than just the TURBOS. Dont get snippy with me. You're a moron who did no proper research on something you knew nothing about before purchasing it. You. Are. An. Idiot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

He's right. You've fucked up twice now: once by getting a boner over a turbokit you knew nothing about and twice by asking Greddy the wrong questions.

Caveat Emptor, baby. The kid was selling a perfectly functional turbokit (sans oil feed and return lines, it would seem...however I can't be sure since you know so little about your purchase) and neither of you knew jack **** enough to realize that one wouldn't work on the other.

Your recourse is to suck it up, resell it on eBay and learn from your mistake. With websites like honda-tech, this should never be a mistake you have to make. Don't get so excited that you buy things sight-unseen without knowing how they work.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

dont buy expensive USED/NEW parts from someone over the internet that you DONT KNOW. i always transact between people in my area or at least within a few hours of driving for things like that. and for reasons like this. i dont trust people
Old 12-22-2005, 10:52 AM

To everyone who has tried to help so far, THANK YOU! The rest of you who ********** on their keyboards while flaming on an internet forum can suck a dick.

I made the mistake of trusting that this guy knew more about his kit than I did. He assured me half a dozen times that it would work perfectly in my car when in reality he had no idea. I then asked Greddy if I would have problems with this kit in my car, I don't know where you get off telling me I asked them the wrong question. I supposed I could have spelled it out better but I think it was obvious. Bottom line, I knew it was stupid to take someone's word like this but I did it anyways. It was a mistake. But hey at least I can sleep at night knowing I'm not an *******, I feel sorry that a couple of you can't do that.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: (ek99gsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Caveat Emptor, baby. The kid was selling a perfectly functional turbokit (sans oil feed and return lines, it would seem...however I can't be sure since you know so little about your purchase) and neither of you knew jack **** enough to realize that one wouldn't work on the other.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Perfectly functional? What would give you that idea? You know absolutely NOTHING about the box of parts I was sent. There is no proof that any of it even still works.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:21 AM

i got a complete b series turbo kit and pics of it if you still want to buy one. i got a few extras if you are interested. i also take paypal which is safer. email me if interested. sorry to hear you got screwed tho.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:10 PM

dont let them get to you man. you explained it good. they just get an ego trip out of it and it makes them feel like they really know their ****....when the reality is that a lot of them are probably self concious about a lot of things. flamming helps them forget about their personal issues

Quick Reply: Bought a turbo kit from someone on this board and got screwed, what is my recourse?