Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

bought 92 civic with this motor

Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought 92 civic with this motor

new to honda-tech, actually been out of the game for awhile ever since I sold my R34, anyways, I've just acquired a 92 civic hb. the good: it has upgraded everything. the bad: it has upgraded everything, I don't know exactly what certain things are. Example, skunk2 pro series intake manifold, ok, AEM fuel rail, ok, LSD tranny, ok, rear brake conversion, not ok, I don't know what size pads these damn things take, RC injectors, not ok, don't know what size, Forged pistons and rods, not ok, don't know the bored out or what kind, performance crankshaft don't know what kind, cams I can see. This car was strickly for 1/4 mile, not street, does fine on the street though, I just got it to pass emissions with flying colors in AZ. I would like to put on a turbo which was on before but the guys took it off. I am the 3-4 owner of this car in like 4 months, idiots didn't know how to get it to pass emissions, new OBD2 cat, that was it, so, with that being siad can guys through any ideas out there, I don't wanna blow this motor but I don't wanna waste it's time either, it has a little bit of get up and go, nothing crazy though, **** I weight 330lbs the car ain't going too fast with me in it lol
Motor is B16a3

Old 02-17-2012, 07:30 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: bought 92 civic with this motor

I don't see an issue here.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I don't see an issue here.
I'm looking to piece together a turbo kit for 350hp, question is now, what size turbo can do that?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 AM
The Grumpiest

On a stock motor? Not happening. You need to do some research in the Forced Induction forums. You've set a horsepower goal (how you came up with it I don't know) now establish the turbo budget. Many people have unrealistic goals.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On a stock motor? Not happening. You need to do some research in the Forced Induction forums. You've set a horsepower goal (how you came up with it I don't know) now establish the turbo budget. Many people have unrealistic goals.
You would consider everything done to this engine as stock?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:49 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by queens770
........... I am the 3-4 owner of this car in like 4 months, idiots didn't know how to get it to pass emissions
........., **** I weight 330lbs the car ain't going too fast with me in it lol
Motor is B16a3
DAMN....and DAMN!!! haha
Old 02-17-2012, 07:49 AM
The Grumpiest

You would consider everything done to this engine as stock?
Basically Yes. If you did some research you would know I mean stock internals. Now since you seem not to know what you bought, and didn't list off any modified engine internals, how do you know the engine is or is not built? And if it is...built for what? What turbo did the previous owner have on it before?

You can't push 350 horses through an engine with stock internals.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The RC injectors will say what size they are (etched on the side, where you see the writing) if you are able to turn them to the left or right while still connected to the intake plenum and fuel rail.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Basically Yes. If you did some research you would know I mean stock internals. Now since you seem not to know what you bought, and didn't list off any modified engine internals, how do you know the engine is or is not built? And if it is...built for what? What turbo did the previous owner have on it before?

You can't push 350 horses through an engine with stock internals.
That's what sucks, I was told forged pistons, forged rods, crankshaft, but again I don't know what it's bored at, not sure which turbo, unfortauntly I'm like the 3-4 owner within 3 months, so the original builder is who knows where lol, I guess if need be I can always tear down the engine and go from there
Old 02-17-2012, 08:14 AM
The Grumpiest

Is the engine management still in the car? Take it to a tuner. If it was boosted prior there is a good chance it is built. Everything else seems to have been done correctly. Talk to a tuner.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Trial User

your rear brake conversion the dude did, came from a integra... any brake parts u need for the rear brakes he put on it, u will have to buy for a 94 - 01 integra
Old 02-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the engine management still in the car? Take it to a tuner. If it was boosted prior there is a good chance it is built. Everything else seems to have been done correctly. Talk to a tuner.
I'm in AZ, there's 101 tuner places here but I've been out the game so long I have to go to the tuner hangouts here and find one, but thanks man. As far as the engine management unit, I not to sure, it does have a chipped p28 in it
Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chirpinallnight
your rear brake conversion the dude did, came from a integra... any brake parts u need for the rear brakes he put on it, u will have to buy for a 94 - 01 integra
Sweet, thanks for the info. I like this site, no bitching or talking ****, at least so far lol. Right in guys, thanks for the info!!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
DAMN....and DAMN!!! haha
Even funnier, I'm 6'8", so not short and fat, but rather tall n fat lmao
Old 02-17-2012, 08:42 AM
The Grumpiest

My strategy would be to get a complete turbo kit together that can support the goal you're looking for. Go Autoworks sells a complete one for different goals. Get some engine management and the tuner should be able to work his magic.

Before you do anything have the health of the engine checked.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Sweet, thanks for the info. I like this site, no bitching or talking ****, at least so far lol. Right in guys, thanks for the info!!!!
Just don't ask dumb questions like..."I have a '93 Civic EG hatch and I want to know what engine I can swap into the engine bay".....and you'll be alright. 99% of the recent questions on this forum were asked by LAZYASS people who don't want to take the time to search. I wonder if their parents still tuck them to bed and dress them in the mornings. Seems that way. LOL
Old 02-17-2012, 08:44 AM
The Grumpiest

Just don't ask dumb questions like..."I have a '93 Civic EG hatch and I want to know what engine I can swap into the engine bay".....and you'll be alright.
Seriously. If you ask questions that seem to have some thought put behind them you'll do fine.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DAMN....and DAMN!!! haha
My strategy would be to get a complete turbo kit together that can support the goal you're looking for. Go Autoworks sells a complete one for different goals. Get some engine management and the tuner should be able to work his magic.

Before you do anything have the health of the engine checked.
Yeah I chk'd out a lot of turbo kits, greddy, turbonetics, go autoworks. I don't mind piecing it together or buying a kit. How ever long it takes it takes, I have $500 every month I can spend so it just becomes a matter of time. I don't wanna wait for 6 months to do it, but with work that has been put in the engine already the last thing I wanna do is buy bullshit and waste my money or blow the motor. Thanks for input
Old 02-17-2012, 09:00 AM
The Grumpiest

I would wait 6 months. Do some research and become a pro or get close to it. That's what I did. Not a single part was purchased before I was ready. Even still there are some things I would have done differently.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would wait 6 months. Do some research and become a pro or get close to it. That's what I did. Not a single part was purchased before I was ready. Even still there are some things I would have done differently.
Yeah I hear ya, I'm not in a hurry, I have an 08 lancer I drive everyday, this car is more for fun n stuff. By the way injectors are only 310 so with that I'm assuming the turbo on here was a little for maybe 250hp, so at least I have an idea now
Old 02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

No doubt. The sad part is that most people think they can just slap on a turbo kit and miracles happen after installation. A properly running, turbocharged Honda doesn't work out that way. When I had my LS-T setup, I did the same thing as well....research until I was content on what I wanted and liked. I planned the parts I needed and made sure I bought parts right the first time. Patience and knowledge....two things these kids don't seem to have these days. OP, since you have another car as a DD, I would research as well. It will pay out at the end. Trust me, you don't want to keep buying 3 different sets of injectors, 4 FMIC or 3 turbochargers. It gets expensive...especially when you won't get your money back when reselling these items.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

A little offtopic but I think you've got the wrong upper transmission mount. That car was originally an automatic and your engine looks like it's sitting a little crooked. Maybe it's just the angle of picture, but you might want to look into it, if it is the wrong mount you'll be replacing passenger's side axles on a regular basis.