Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

BOTH back doors will not open!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 09:43 PM
blackZC (W)

Default BOTH back doors will not open!!!

I just bought this 94 LX 4dr and both back doors wont open from either side. Its like the child lock is working on both sides. i did a bunch of serching on google and found 1 other person that has had this problem. anyone know what is up?
Old 04-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: BOTH back doors will not open!!! (blackZC)

Hmm...the child lock should only work from the inside...you're sayign you cant get in either rear door no matter what?
Old 04-09-2004, 10:35 PM
blackZC (W)

Default Re: BOTH back doors will not open!!! (Ricey McRicerton)

yeah both sides inside and out. it acts like it is disabling the outside handle just like the inside. it feels fine pulls out ok it just doesnt catch anything.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm...I wonder if something inside the doors came loose. And there's probally no way to get the door panel off is there?

Sounds like you're hosed buddy. I honestly don't know how to fix this.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Haha, me too. I've had this problem for over a year now. I just said **** it and turned my 4-door into a race car. I even took apart the whole latch assembly and have no clue whats wrong. If you find out, let me know
Old 04-10-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Re: BOTH back doors will not open!!! (Ricey McRicerton)

Since it's a '94, you could just go to a junkyard and buy some replacement rear door panels. Then take a knife and start cutting the door panels off to get at the latch and everything to try and figure out what's wrong.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:19 PM
blackZC (W)

Default Re: BOTH back doors will not open!!! (JDMH22HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMH22HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Haha, me too. I've had this problem for over a year now. I just said **** it and turned my 4-door into a race car. I even took apart the whole latch assembly and have no clue whats wrong. If you find out, let me know</TD></TR></TABLE>

good to know im not alone.lol i will post up if i do find out what it is.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My brother had an integra 4dr. Fully kitted,widebodied and the rice accessories awhile back and I remember that I accidently put the childs lock on the back door. I wasn't thinking at the moment and slammed the door shut. My bro had shaved all his handles off so there was no way from outside and since the childs lock was on, there was no way from opening it from the inside. As I recall, my brother somehow took his back door panel off and started ****** around with some things behind the panel and wha-la. It opened.

In your situation, it is probrably something in your door that is loose like someone had said in the above comments.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:34 PM

I have had similar problems with both of my back doors, and my trunk lock latch. They were all caused by the same problem. All of the latches (truck, latch to outter handle, latch to inner handle" are connect by by metal rods that have a 90 degree bend in them that fit in a hole on both the latch and the handle (or key hole on the trunk latch). What holds these bars in the holes are small plastic clips. I have seen the in white/light blue/Reddish brown colors. My local dealer always has them in stock and the only a dollar or so each. The trick is geting the door open. I never had the problem of the both inner/outter door handles not working at the same time. Some how you are going to need to get that door panel off. Then you can reach in and try to disengage the latch. Then look for the hanging rod with the broken clip on the end of it and swing in back up so you know what hole it was supposed to fit in. Then you simply snap the new clip in the hole, insert the bar into the clip, and then the clip snaps onto the bar shaft.

I hope this helps.

Kev

97 Honda Civic LX
Old 04-11-2004, 09:44 PM
blackZC (W)

Default Re: BOTH back doors will not open!!! (kwaltman)

thank alot bro! that definitly gives some direction

that does seem what the problem may be, the handle is just not catching anything at all. im gonna pull out the bottom of my back seat and see if i cant get the door panel off enough to get to it. thanks agin.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:50 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too bad you don't live here or i'd fix it for you. just get a paint mixing stick (wooden ruler works too) and push down on the rod at the back of the door. you'll unlock it with one rod and pop it open with the other