Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

To bore, or not to bore?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To bore, or not to bore?

I have a little situation here. Im doing a swap with a b16a into my ek hatch. the thing is, my friend who sold it to me, dropped some small rocks into the valves of the motor. He said that I can send it to the shop and have them take out the rocks and he'll pay for it. here's where it gets interesting, I asked a buddy of mine about boring out the block, like how much it costs, and if its worth it or not for my particular setup, etc.. according to him, he wasn't 100% sure, but he said it would cost around $150 for that kind of job. Thats all?? it seems like a lot of work for them to do, precision, time, etc. also there is the possibility that they might mess it up i hear... so, my questions are.. how much does it really cost? does it matter where I go to get this done? Is it worth it for my setup? I plan to go the turbo route eventually. The only reason I was thinkin about doing it in the first place, at this particular time while the rest of my car is stock, is because if I need to take to the shop anyway to have them take out the rocks, if its a pretty painless, and affordable job, plus beneficial for a turbo setup, since im already takin the damn thing anyway........... i figured i'd ask you guys here on H-T since theres a lot of pros on here.. any feedback is very much appreciated! thanks in advance, and sorry for being such a noob T.T
Old 11-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it sounds like u have it figured out.. just build it now if you can afford it.. that way you can boost whenever its convenient for you.. be sure to break in the engine correctly too
Old 11-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you wanna bored out a b16 block to .50mm over or 1.8 liters? if 1.8 liters or .50mm then that will mean you have to replace the pistons to either 81.50mm pistons if going over or maybe some 83, 84, 84.5 or 85mm pistons if you plan on getting up to 1.8 liters.. either way its gonna be expensive to resleeve therefore you should just get a 1.8 liter block to start off with.. or just get the rocks taken out and go turbo if you plan on reusing the b16 block
Old 11-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the advice guys, so basically if i do it i need to swap out the pistons? or is it, if I do it to a certain size, then I need to swap them? I don't have a whole lot of money to spend at the moment, so I dont think I could afford the piston swap.. but if i could get away with boring out a little, and still have it be an effective size that would be best right?
Old 11-23-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres no turning back after boring your block. And another thing. . . if you're gonna boost, wouldn't just getting forged internals and boosting on stock bore yield phenomenal gains anyways? I'd say don't do it. And if you don't know and trust a reputable shop, then don't even consider it an option.

Oh and yea. . . . Bore shop price + pistons + GETTING IT TUNED. Don't even think about boring and not tuning your car. $$$$$ I'd say save it for maintenance and boost.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i bored my z6 jus a couple of weeks ago. its being assembled as we speak. yes you need pistons for when you bore the block. but you have to get the pistons and rings first. b/c they have to mic the pistons inorder to be spot on for the bore.