Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Boosting my B16a Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosting my B16a Advice needed

Basically got hold of a turbo kit and intend on running on my SiR2. I already have an Apexi SAFC, Greddy E-Manage and Walboro pump. Would like to keep the engine pretty much standard for the time being and run it on around 4-6 psi? The only mods planned were to upgrade the injectors, brakes. Wondered if there is any injectors available that were a straight swap without the need for bigger o rings? and also if the SiR2 requires an upgraded injector resistor box? Im not planning on upping the boost for a while so not fitting a 3 bar sensor just yet but would really like advice on setting it up pretty much for road use.

Sorry for the mamouth post peeps
Old 06-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Boosting my B16a Advice needed (Powelly)

1) Your stock injectors will be fine.

2) Ditch the VAFC and the E-manage and get a real tuning program.

3) Your car still weighs the same, why did you just now start worrying about brakes?

4) Get a wideband.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Boosting my B16a Advice needed (ek forever guy)

im with him, you should have been thinking about your brakes in advance. at least that way when you boost there would be nothing yo worry about in that departement.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:38 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Boosting my B16a Advice needed (ek forever guy)

stock injectors are only good up to ~190whp. definitely go bigger for safety sake. 550cc would be more than enough for 300whp.

what kind of turbo kit is it? what's included?
Old 06-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: Boosting my B16a Advice needed (doood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock injectors are only good up to ~190whp. definitely go bigger for safety sake. 550cc would be more than enough for 300whp.

what kind of turbo kit is it? what's included?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I assumed it was a greddy kit, and on 4-6 psi I don't think he'll make much more than 190-200whp.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply guys, i have always thought about upgrade the brakes just not until i upped the hp really. Am thinking teg type r discs & calipers.

So what kind of tuning program are you thinking about if i ditch the SAFC & E-Manage? Something like Hondata? As im from the UK i don't really know of any Hondata tuners really and would really like to get it rolling roaded or re-mapped by a pro.

The kit is just a XS Power kit. I have heard mixed reviews about these kits some saying the manifolds crack and the turbos are second grade, but then again some peeps reckon they have had no problems. For the price i paid it's worth a go.

The kit comes with everything i think manifold, turbo, intercooler, piping, oil return pipes etc, every nut, washer, bolt inc some spares.

So why would i need to go for a wideband then?

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Right so on my shopping list is wideband sensor, rc 440's. Was thinking of some vernier cam pulleys or would you guys think this is overkill for a standard setup?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:30 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (Powelly)

Leave the cam pulleys alone.

I suggest you do a lot more research on Forced induction in the forced induction forum before you do this.

That sounds the XS kit is one of those ebay kits. Yes, there are problems with them. You want a quality turbo and a better manifold. 440's will need a resistor box.

The wideband actually has accurate air/fuel ratio. A cheap narrowband won't be able to tell you if you're dangerously lean or rich.

For you, I would get Crome for tuning. It's free, most tuners will install it for you for free, and it's easy to tune.

I'm okay with ebay kits, you just need a good name brand turbo and a good name brand manifold at the least to make the system reliable.

But the most important part of all is the tune, so that way, even if some parts crap out, engine damage is minimal.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your replies and your honesty mate. I assume it is a ebay kit myself just unsure which one. The turbo which the chap told me is a garrett *cough* is t3/t4. Think i will get my head down and do a bit more reasearch before i get the spanners! I did think just after i started this post it should be in the forced induction forum, just glad you guys are friendly enough to reply to a noob

Trouble with crome is i don't think there are many uk based tuners that are familiar with it. I had my ECU remapped before but removed it as the map on the chip made it run way too rich. I still have the zif socket so maybe i could get away with someone sending me a base map that i could at least let a tuner look at. Is there anywhere i could grab one of those data logging cables as i don't fancy the nokia cable mod.

Have spoke to the my local tuning company who tell me to remove the apexi safc and just stick with the emanage as they are familiar with this. £200 for a map and rolling road session which sounds reasonable to me. But if you guys prefer crome for its user-friendly layout i will give it a go.

Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Powelly)

If there are any tuners in your area that tune Hondata, they would be able to tune CROME. The programs are very similar.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah there was one company, a fair old trek from me. I asked for a chip and re-map before my turbo plans and the cost was around £500.

Will have a good ring round and see if i can find a good reliable tuning company who are familiar. I reckon if they know hondata they are bound to know about crome.