Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

boosted b20/ls vtec awd or h22 boosted

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boosted b20/ls vtec awd or h22 boosted

which would you perfer???????also i want to put a awd into my civic and have a donor crv but dont know if i could use the 5speed awd tranny and it holdind the power fine? let me know...its going down regaurdless son
Old 01-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted b20/ls vtec awd or h22 boosted (cviccoupe)

awd!!wooooooo
Old 01-05-2007, 09:47 PM

lolol
Old 01-05-2007, 11:10 PM

the crv awd tranny will not hold up to any extra power.. peolpe who have done it on did it for the novelty of it ... expect it to explode at 200hp.. plus it had crappy gear ratios. i thought about it lot back in the days
Old 01-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: boosted b20/ls vtec awd or h22 boosted (gezzuzz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gezzuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the crv awd tranny will not hold up to any extra power.. peolpe who have done it on did it for the novelty of it ... expect it to explode at 200hp.. plus it had crappy gear ratios. i thought about it lot back in the days </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's about it.

Like the automatic honda trannies aren't **** enough, the CRV's are known for having trannies crap out when towing stuff.

I'd say if you're gonna boost go LS/VTEC.

As for the AWD drivetrain, do whatever floats your boat, you can use a GSR tranny and you'll be fine.

EDIT:
If you're gonna stay NA then go with the H22. I'm not sure if they do this for 4 cyls but for big block V8's you can usually get trquer cams which'll put ur tq. up without necessarily brining your HP #'s up.

Get one of those if they do...

Reason being is it'll work better with an AWD drivetrain (more displacement, easier movement of both pumpkins). Though if you're going to boost, stay away from the H22. The composite that the cylinder walls are made out of make it a bitch to boost. You don't make good power off of a boosted H22.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:54 PM

BOOSTED b20LSV AWD
Old 01-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted b20/ls vtec awd or h22 boosted (ThaSi)

B20LSV that must be new
Old 01-15-2007, 06:24 AM

Default Re: boosted b20/ls vtec awd or h22 boosted (smileycvc)

B20LSVTEC def. not new. Friend and I built one few yeas ago. lots of trial/error involved though. put in 91 civic dx hb
Old 01-15-2007, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted b20/ls vtec awd or h22 boosted (RedJDM00si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cviccoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which would you perfer???????also i want to put a awd into my civic and have a donor crv but dont know if i could use the 5speed awd tranny and it holdind the power fine? let me know...its going down regaurdless son</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very easy.

The B20's have weak bottom ends which doesn't exactly make 'em the best boost motors. The H22's cylinder walls are made out of a composite that for some reason causes a bit of resistance under boost and doesn't make as much power (H22's suck for boost).

The LS/V on the other hand is a booster's motor. That motor's basically made for boosting. Do the LS/V, DEFINITELY.

If you throw a rod, an LS block is only like, 200 bux? If that. You'll already have the oil kit set up, LS/V hands down.

EDIT:
Oh....I already posted here....whoops, I don't even remember this topic.

Maybe some ******** shouldn't have bumped it.

Oh well, good to see my opinions haven't changed to me.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not the cylinder walls on h22's that are the problem its the weak ringlands on the pistons. the problem people run into is you cant use a regular old forged piston without scarring the walls of block. mahle and wiseco make pistons that are compatible with FRM h22's. also ive seen stock h22's make 330-350 for over a year
Old 01-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedJDM00si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B20LSVTEC def. not new. Friend and I built one few yeas ago. lots of trial/error involved though. put in 91 civic dx hb</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're wrong. You can have EITHER a B20VTEC or an LSVTEC - you can't have a B20LSVTEC because that would mean you used both a 2.0L and a 1.8L block.

Think first, post later

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cviccoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which would you perfer???????also i want to put a awd into my civic and have a donor crv but dont know if i could use the 5speed awd tranny and it holdind the power fine? let me know...its going down regaurdless son</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, basically, what you're saying is you sit in study hall after fifth period algebra and daydream about what to spend your allowance on. Grow the **** up and do some research. You obviously know nothing, so get back to us when the other 88% of your brain wakes up.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:49 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to do AWD? Good luck on that one. Let me tell you how far my old mechanic got:

He fabbed up the rear end with custom cross-members and an RX-7 rear differential.

Then he realized he was being retarded and parted the entire project out.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: boosted b20/ls vtec awd or h22 boosted (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Very easy.

The B20's have weak bottom ends which doesn't exactly make 'em the best boost motors. The H22's cylinder walls are made out of a composite that for some reason causes a bit of resistance under boost and doesn't make as much power (H22's suck for boost).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is some pretty bad advice right there.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:57 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the AWD drivetrain, do whatever floats your boat, you can use a GSR tranny and you'll be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd like to see where a CR-V transfer case bolts up to a GS-R transmission.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: boosted b20/ls vtec awd or h22 boosted (Archidictus)

Good catch. B20+GS-R head =B20VTEC. my bad on that one.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're wrong. You can have EITHER a B20VTEC or an LSVTEC - you can't have a B20LSVTEC because that would mean you used both a 2.0L and a 1.8L block.

Think first, post later

So, basically, what you're saying is you sit in study hall after fifth period algebra and daydream about what to spend your allowance on. Grow the **** up and do some research. You obviously know nothing, so get back to us when the other 88% of your brain wakes up.</TD></TR></TABLE>lmao good post
Old 01-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: boosted b20/ls vtec awd or h22 boosted (Throwdown)

in orlando? call me when that **** is done so i can see it break
Old 01-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'd like to see where a CR-V transfer case bolts up to a GS-R transmission.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah I didn't even think about the transfer case.

My bad.

- Thx for the correction.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my_slow_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is some pretty bad advice right there. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Care to make a counter statement then?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turtleman321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not the cylinder walls on h22's that are the problem its the weak ringlands on the pistons. the problem people run into is you cant use a regular old forged piston without scarring the walls of block. mahle and wiseco make pistons that are compatible with FRM h22's. also ive seen stock h22's make 330-350 for over a year</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am willing to bet TONS of money that there are NO 100% stock H22 build that makes 330-350whp.

If there was, it'd be the most common engine and everybody would have it in their car. What would that be.....19:1 CR? Oh, you meant on stock internals (shoudla said so). Yeah, there's a few B16's with the same HP ratings on stock internals.

In any event, with the piston theory aside I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the fact that in a perfect world if you boost an H22 with one turbo kit under the same exact conditions, same tune etc. and boosted a GSR in the same 100% perfect world with the exact same conditions the GSR will GAIN more HP than the H22 would.

H22's don't respond well to boost, end of story. I mean yeah you can say "well my friend has one that's making 500whp" - well great, there's plenty of pple making 6 or 700 on ITRs.

Ever see an H22 at 1500whp? Once? Twice? Never? Why? They're usually some form of forced induction at 1500whp.

H22's are good if you're aiming for low #'s (like 200-300) and have really nice tq. ratings, but they break easy and don't respond well to boost, I've seen too many of them just NOT gain as much power as they should from boost. They also break like bitches.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Think first, post later

So, basically, what you're saying is you sit in study hall after fifth period algebra and daydream about what to spend your allowance on. Grow the **** up and do some research. You obviously know nothing, so get back to us when the
other 88% of your brain wakes up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you
Old 01-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
H22's don't respond well to boost, end of story. I mean yeah you can say "well my friend has one that's making 500whp" - well great, there's plenty of pple making 6 or 700 on ITRs.

Ever see an H22 at 1500whp? Once? Twice? Never? Why? They're usually some form of forced induction at 1500whp.

H22's are good if you're aiming for low #'s (like 200-300) and have really nice tq. ratings, but they break easy and don't respond well to boost, I've seen too many of them just NOT gain as much power as they should from boost. They also break like bitches.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how about no!, im pretty damn sure that a 2.2 vtec will make more hp and tq than a 1.8vtec with the same FI set up. dosent the h22 head flow better than the b heads? the h tranny sucks that might be why people dont boost them as much cause then they have to go h2b but come on man a 2.2 will make more power given the same conditions. and EVERY motor responds well to boost. its not like the motor is like "boost? no thanks i dont want any"
Old 01-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boosted b20/ls vtec awd or h22 boosted (blinx9900)

Every motor is fine for boost if you biuld it right. The only downfall to H22 engien's for boost is because they have MFR (microfiber reinforced cylinder walls) and you cant just throw forged internals into it unless you sleeve the block. But even thats not a problem anymore because Mahle makes the gold series pistons now that uses the same MFR material on the piston skirts. There's actually a IDRC car that had a H22 with stock sleeves on this setup making 650hp!!!! And runs 10.3's!!!!
So I have to disagree with whoever said H22's are no good for boost.