Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Boost or no boost???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost or no boost???

Im in the process of building a ls/vtec for an eg chassis and cant decide whether to boost on it or not, and its time to buy pistons, so its time to decide. The car will be daily/street driven, but I want a vette and viper killer as well, at least for the first quarter mile. Im doing a full build, but gotta decide which pistons to buy....if I go all motor, it will be CTR pistons and if I go boost, it will be a low-compression forged.

Any thoughts or ideas? I've never had a boosted car, and love the thought, but also would love to have a FAST NA motor.

Thanks in advance

Alfred
Old 11-26-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Boost or no boost??? (awdriscol4)

y is it always ppls main initiative to supe up their honda so they can beat vipers and mustangs and all these fast sports cars? do u have like ppl coming up to u with vipers asking to race all the time or something? so what r u gonna do when u beat "kill" the vipers and vettes? race a fucken jet next.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost or no boost??? (Civicse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what r u gonna do when u beat "kill" the vipers and vettes? race a fucken jet next. </TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAHAHAHHA!!!! good call...
Old 11-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost or no boost??? (slambedcivic)

i think he wants his car to be as fast as those cars.. i don't see nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, what a great response, although it answered absolutely none of my questions. But thanks...

Anyone else have any thoughts that pertain to my questions/thoughts?

And by the way, no, never had the opportunity to race a viper, but if I do, wouldn't it be fun??
Old 11-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HAHAHAHAHHA!!!! good call...</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was?? I guess you have a turbo civic to go to the grocery store??

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 858_draGgerZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think he wants his car to be as fast as those cars.. i don't see nothing wrong with that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, most of the fun is the build up and tuning of these cars to run with cars with larger displacement engines.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:02 PM

The question is are you whilling to spend all that extra money on a turbo setup? turbo's a lot more expensive and not as reliable. In order to beat a viper in the 1/4 mile you have to fully build it. I'm personally going b20/vtec with 11.5:1 cr pistons. It'll be pretty fast yet quite reliable. If you build your car to be able to beat vipers it isn't going to be very reliable. After all it's going to be a daily driver isn't it?
Old 11-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost or no boost??? (CrVtecEG)

Yes, its going to be a daily driver, so it will need to be reliable. And this beating a viper thing I guess is getting out of control. No, I realize I wont be able to run with exotic cars, I do know, that with a properly tuned and built motor I can run with larger engine cars on the quarter and who knows, if they cant drive.....

As far as my build, here is what I was planning: b18b block, b16a2 head, block gaurd, scat h beam rods and CTR pistons, dh-racing intake manifold and throttle body, dc sports one piece header w/ 2.5 collector, dh-racing cams and valvetrain.

Its time to buy the pistons, and now I wonder if I should consider a turbo setup. I know the ctr pistons will yield a extremely high c.r. and turbo at that point will be impossible. So, I have to decide now.

Thanks for the responses guys.....I appreciate any help I can get

Alfred
Old 11-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DO NOT BUY PARTS FROM DH-RACING, it will take you a very long time to get your parts. they have the shittiest customer service i have ever dealt with. boost it. you are going to have a hard time beating vettes and vipers in a EG chassis on 91 octane and limited all motor knowledge. thats the feel i get from reading your post. if you have built reliable 12 second high compression motors and daily driven them in CA, then i apologize for the above statement.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost or no boost??? (lohatch)

nope, you're exactly right, I have very limited knowledge of fully built NA motors.

No dh-racing? Thanks for the info, Ill start to look elsewhere for intake manifold and throttle body....any suggestions?

I think I will go for boost, not looking for anything too crazy....just a fun, fast, small car.

Thanks

Alfred
Old 11-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by awdriscol4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It was?? I guess you have a turbo civic to go to the grocery store??</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually i do. hondaguyef can vouch for that, as can a few others on here.

if youre looking to ride with Vipers and Corvettes then you should go the turbo route. Youre not goin to beat them in the long haul, but out of the hole and until around 4th gear youll have them. Suspension and tire setup is VERY criticle in this case. To achieve what you really want "beating vettes and vipers" you should reach for the 300 WHP range. This means building the bottom end (rods, pistons, bearings, rod and main cap bolts, then getting everything balanced and blueprinted) then move on to your VTEC head. Find some turbo profile cams (stock are my preferance) port and polish the EXHAUST SIDE as much as you want. Take the edge off of the intake side. Valves of choice, along with springs, and retainers. While youre in there hit up you local honda dealership, and replace the lost motion sensors in the head, as theyll tend to tap a lot in higher milage VTEC heads. They arent very cheap, but itll get rid of that annoying tap that you think is your valves. While the head is all off, take it to a machine ship and get it milled to ensure that it is perfectly straight. search out a Cometic headgasket (available in different sizes for your liking) just remember thicker is lower compression. drop it all in the car with a good clutch and if mone permits a decent LSD setup. full race traction bar would be a plus with some BFG drag radials. get axles that will withstand the abuse youre goin to put them through. search out a QTEC electronic or manual cutout for your exhaust while running a fullt stock exhaust system. (the element of suprise gets them everytime)

hopefully this fully opinionated post will help you somehow or another.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BOOOOOST!!!

i was boosted in my eg hatch and i loved it. i'm all motor now though.

if you get it boosted, just get it tuned.

Old 11-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost or no boost??? (hondaeg8)

just a thought, why not build the motor with the ctr pistons, get it tuned and drive it and see if it is as fast as you want it to be. than if it isnt (which it may not be) than just throw a 50-75 shot on it and you'll be satisfied. or instead of getting the ctr pisons just get some forged pistons with higher compression.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Boost or no boost??? (B16Civic93)

Boost is Better!