Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Boost Gauge Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Gauge Question

Got my turbo on and everything is running great.

My problem is this. After around 4000 - 4500 the turbo spools and when i shift the bov and everything works fine but the thing is that the boost gauge does not go above the zero it only stays under it so that it reads just the vacuum and not the boost. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so what is the fix for it. The only thing that I can think about is that with the boost gauge kit it did not come with the 1/8 connector so we riged something up so could that be the problem? Everything is as tight as can be so I am kinda out of answers. If anyone can help that would be great. The gauge kit is the phantom gauge.

Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Boost Gauge Question (icantthinkofaname)

Rigging things can always create problems.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:31 AM

yea thats the only thing i can think of as everything is setup fine. I have to get that 1/8 connector and see if that makes a differents. Could it be that I am just not pushing the turbo much as I have to brack in the motor as it is new. Could it but that i am just not builing enough boost for the gauge to go off?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:33 AM

Did you hook it up to the right tube?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Boost Gauge Question (CNY Hatch)

yea i dont see why it would not be hooked up to the right tube. I guess i am going to have to fix the piping and then rerun everything and make sure its all setup right.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm assuming its a mechanical guage with that crappy plastic hose running to it. A lot of those leak around the end that goes into the rubber hose you can tap into your vacuum lines. Put some zip ties around where the plastic line connects to the rest of the system. If that doesn't do it, check your gauge, make sure it works, try blowing through the line, you can probably blow a little over 1 psi (i found this out playing with a friends gauge :D )
Old 11-04-2003, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Boost Gauge Question (luti)

Yeah, blow in it first to make sure it's working, like he said you can see 1 to 2psi. Then just follow the route of your vacuum lines from your gauge to the intake manifold, where you tapped it from. Make sure they're all tight connections and that they're no holes or tears in the vacuum line. You're definately making enough boost for it to show it. If you're bov is going off you're making boost.

Mike
Old 11-04-2003, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Boost Gauge Question (sledgehammer)

Thanks guys for the help on this issue. I am going to do just that but what I was told by my mechanic when he tested it that he hit about 5.5PSI on the gauge so it could be that i am just not making that much boost for it to register on the gauge itself as he said it was working fine when he test drove it. I am running the stock 5.5PSI on the motor till i brake it in as it is a fresh motor, after the brakin i am going to run about 12 till i get my hondata and then i will be around 18 - 20PSI.

A little tip if you go with the Edelbrock intake manifold and the greddy kit that your going to have a fun time fitting the pipes b/c that manifold pushes everything over about 3inchs so there is a lot of **** you need to mod for it to all fit. Just wanted to give a heads up if anyone is going with a setup like that.