Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bogging down in 1st and 2nd sometimes when leaving from a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogging down in 1st and 2nd sometimes when leaving from a stop.

Bogging down in 1st and 2nd sometimes when leaving from a stop.

wtf is wrong with my car? I'll describe best I can:

Sometimes .. every so often when I take off, part way thru first and sometimes 2nd, it will feel as if the gas gets "cut off" or as if it's being clogged.. or choked. I've tried flooring it when this happens and nothing, car is so slow. Then all a sudden, gas kicks in and I drive as normal.

Also, once I come to a stop, the idle is off, or abnormal, not smooth. Like it will dip kinda low, and idle rough, and the cpu or whatever will try and correct itself, so idle speeds up. Eventually, it settles down. There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

I just did a tune up: new pvc, fuel filter, sparks & plug wires, dist cap & rotor. When I changed a plug, it was drenched in oil, along with the Plug wire. So I replaced the valve cover gasket to keep oil from getting into the "chamber". Also, I'm pretty sure my input shaft bearing needs to be replaced, because when I step down on the clutch, the "whirring noise" goes away, and all I hear is the engine, cause it gets quiet.

I'm thinking to bite the bullet and pay Honda $150 to tell me whats wrong, then have someone else fix it.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Bogging down in 1st and 2nd sometimes when leaving from a stop. (mike-94eg)

If you want you could bring it to me and ill look at it for free.

What i suggest is compression test and get back to us with the numbers. For the whirring noise that could be your throwout bearing not your input shaft.

What motor and car and whats done to it? That could help us help you better.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Bogging down in 1st and 2nd sometimes when leaving from a stop. (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want you could bring it to me and ill look at it for free.

What i suggest is compression test and get back to us with the numbers. For the whirring noise that could be your throwout bearing not your input shaft.

What motor and car and whats done to it? That could help us help you better. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Where are you at? Do you have a cpu to check it?

It's a stock 94 hatch. Only thing done is a ebay 4-2-1 header and some no name cat converter.

How do I do a compression test? Help me out dude, I'll buy you lunch haha

Modified by mike-94eg at 8:31 PM 9/20/2005
Old 09-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check timing, check fuel pressure regulator... maybe the regulator is not working and is providing high pressure at low rpms which floods the engine... or could be an O2 sensor problem..

few other things as well...get back to us with more info
Old 09-20-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: (civic_driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check timing, check fuel pressure regulator... maybe the regulator is not working and is providing high pressure at low rpms which floods the engine... or could be an O2 sensor problem..

few other things as well...get back to us with more info</TD></TR></TABLE>

O2 sensor???

I'll tell you.. for a day, I drove aroun without having the O2 plugged into the cat, and the car idled like CRAP. I plugged it in, and it drives better.

When I ran straight pipes on my stang, we have something called "MIL Eliminators", they disable the sensors, so you don't get a check engine light when you run off road exhaust. Do they make such a thing for hondas? Maybe I should just run a test pipe, or get a new cat??

So the tranny bearing wouldn't have an effect? Should I try and swap out the cat converter?

Also, I'm pushing 200k miles.. I could use a valve adjustment.

The more I think about it, instead of wasting money on all these possible fixes, I should let honda look at it. I'll keep you all updated...