Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Blown Shift Bulb, Chocolate Spark Plugs..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Shift Bulb, Chocolate Spark Plugs..

Hey people I need two issues addressed today if you don't mind right quick;

The light for the shift strip next to my shift stick has blown out, I need to replace it but I wasn't able to just pull the bulb out, it seems to be more propriatary than anything else... Anyone have any idea how I can replace it short of cutting it and splicing in a new light socket and bulb? Picture below:

Last month I seafoamed the D15B7, so I knew I would need to change the oil soon. I got that but didn't get around to till this month, before I done that I seafoamed the engine again and then changed the oil. After all that was done I checked the spark plugs and they were chocolate (very dark/covered in carbon), you can see in the picture below, so I cleaned them off with a wire brush. These are Bosh +4 Platinums... they suck, I know. I want to get some Denso iridiums from Autozone but I am not sure if I want to spin over $50 for those plugs in this engine, maybe after my swap, for now should what could I switch to thats not allot of $$? Also, is this normal for my current plugs to be this black after seafoaming the engine?

Let this knoob no what the deal is, thankx!
Old 10-24-2004, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Blown Shift Bulb, Chocolate Spark Plugs.. (Paprika)

dont know much about the autotrans light prob. but... it has been known to do that after seafoaming.. espesially twice... alot of guys recomend replacing the plugs as well... and yes i've been through a set of platinums as well... and i wasn't happy with them at all... if its just a stock motor... you can get away with a decent plug that is a little closer to stock..
Old 10-24-2004, 06:15 PM

ok im not sure on the bulb i would figure you have to push in and turn to remove. not to be a smart *** or anything but dont you know what gear you are in without looking? the plugs i have the bosch 4 and mine are black too it is just carbon. probably because the engine is running rich.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paprika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> After all that was done I checked the spark plugs and they were chocolate (very dark/covered in carbon)</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats normal after seafoaming, i would just get some platnium NGK's there fairly cheap if you dont want diff ones (at least till your swap ) cant help w/ the shifter light though
Old 10-24-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown Shift Bulb, Chocolate Spark Plugs.. (civictildeath)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok im not sure on the bulb i would figure you have to push in and turn to remove. not to be a smart *** or anything but dont you know what gear you are in without looking? the plugs i have the bosch 4 and mine are black too it is just carbon. probably because the engine is running rich.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I want everything thats suppose to light up to do just that, looks better when things are light up properly, doesn't it? Plus I am having a problem with the sensor reading the stick's position. The car would be in reverse but the stick would be slightly off mark and the appropriate Icon on the Dash wouldn't be light up, and I sure can't see anything down there in the dark and if I am parallel parked it's not worth doing a guess and check
Old 10-24-2004, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

didnt even read the post but those bosch 4 electrode plugs suck, get some ngk's
Old 10-24-2004, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown Shift Bulb, Chocolate Spark Plugs.. (Boltz)

just get a 5spd.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown Shift Bulb, Chocolate Spark Plugs.. (T S R Performance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T S R Performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get a 5spd.</TD></TR></TABLE>
One line replies that aren't helpful :
Old 10-25-2004, 11:30 AM

Get yourself some NGK V-Power spark plugs. It'll probably be no more than $9.00 with tax.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:36 AM

*****s Gone Krunk plugs are the best for hondas, dont get bosch
Old 10-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown Shift Bulb, Chocolate Spark Plugs.. (_Project EJOne)

The regular Denso or NGK plugs are around $1.25 each. Thier OEM and cheap, and I've never had a problem with them
Old 10-25-2004, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blown Shift Bulb, Chocolate Spark Plugs.. (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The regular Denso or NGK plugs are around $1.25 each. Thier OEM and cheap, and I've never had a problem with them </TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, nothing beats COPPER NGK's: the oem replacement plugs. you don't need platinum ones. they're just a waste of $$
Old 10-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown Shift Bulb, Chocolate Spark Plugs.. (dantastic)

Ive replaced that bulb before just put your back into it and pull it straigt out. Use a pair of pliers if you need to but DONT crush the bulb. If you crush the bulb I dont know what to tell you. It does 100% pull out.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Blown Shift Bulb, Chocolate Spark Plugs..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yup, nothing beats COPPER NGK's: the oem replacement plugs. you don't need platinum ones. they're just a waste of $$</TD></TR></TABLE>

Denso's suck. I had some and my d15 was cutting back for some reason. Changed to NGK oem plugs and ran just fine!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:14 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Blown Shift Bulb, Chocolate Spark Plugs.. (jaedaSC)

Everyone here will tell you, myself includd from experience. Get NGK. Perfect, no problems. If you dont wanna spend much, get the V-power. I got my car used and they actually came with those. WEll worth it.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just get some NGK plugs non platnium
best bang for the buck
there like $2 each
Old 10-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow everyone, Thanks. I was at pepboys and they didn't have enough Iridiums in stock... they did have the v-powers though but they said they may get some more in tommorow or definately next tuesday.. I said I'd wait but with all this praise I can buy some v-powers for like $1.99 each!

Thanks!

Also, that bulb I figured out. I asked a radio-shack associate about it, he goes to pull it out and busts it and we couldn't find a bulb that fitted in it. I went to pepboys and wondered around the lights and used the little computer that tells you what code of lights you need for your application and the general interior light bulb fit in there after a bit of pushing..

I tried to put it in when I got home tonight but I wasn't able to get the black socket to go into the white box and lock in. I'm going to mess around more with it tommorow after school when I can actually SEE!

The bulb is slightly larger than the OEM one that was in there and I think that may be the problem..