Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Blown Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Reverse

Ok, so last night i missed fifth, it was grinding pretty bad but than it seemed every thing was fine. I droped my buddy off and went to put my car in reverse but it took way to much effort and it felt clunky but its only going in or out of reverse... by the way my car is a 99 si... any help would be great
Old 07-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown Reverse (BlkB16)

synchronizers (or how ever u spell it) you may still be able to put it in reverse but you have to have the car completely stopped and the clutch alllll the way to the floor, even this will take a few tries, there is no easy fix synchronizers arent worth changeing so ur better off getting a whole new transmission
Old 07-06-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Blown Reverse (2wheelhunter)

Reverse does not have a Syncromesh. (at least not in any car I have driven.)
Do you have any trouble in other gears? or just reverse
Old 07-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2wheelhunter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">synchronizers (or how ever u spell it) you may still be able to put it in reverse but you have to have the car completely stopped and the clutch alllll the way to the floor, even this will take a few tries, there is no easy fix synchronizers arent worth changeing so ur better off getting a whole new transmission </TD></TR></TABLE>

Man if you dont know what your talking about dont say anything.....reverse has no synchronizers and even if you do have bad synchronizers they are worth replacing b/c eventually they will start going out in any used tranny u buy...unless u mean spending 2000+ for a brand new one from honda..have you tried letting the cluth out slow while going to reverse..
Old 07-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2wheelhunter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">synchronizers (or how ever u spell it) you may still be able to put it in reverse but you have to have the car completely stopped and the clutch alllll the way to the floor, even this will take a few tries, there is no easy fix synchronizers arent worth changeing so ur better off getting a whole new transmission </TD></TR></TABLE>

Naw, reverse has no syncros, on my friend's camaro I shoulda blew out reverse, was racing and wasn't use to the close gears, shifted from 4th to 5th and put it into reverse by mistake becaue the pattern's:
1 3 5 R
2 4 6
But it locked the wheels into reverse for like half second before I clutched again - never-the-less, it didn't blow anything out... so I've come to the conclusion it has to be pretty hard to blow something out like that :-\

On the flipside, I really think u fucked the reverse or idler gear though, because there aren't any syncros, and on a honda it uses the same fork as 5th gear, so whether 5th is fucked or not, when u missed into 5th you coulda fucked up reverse as well... In all honesty I would park in a way that you don't have to use reverse until you can pull your tranny and take a look, I'm pretty sure u roasted one of the gears :-\