Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Blown motor- the blame game

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Blown motor- the blame game

Ok just wondering what you guys think my best course of action should be in this situation. I recently took my car to an acura/honda tuning shop to have my downpipe made and for them to redo and weld/fix my oil return line setup so it flows properly since I had just installed my turbo kit. They did the work I asked for but there was still a massive exhaust leak because the turbo was hitting the block so the manifold flange wasnt flush on the head so it leaked and needed some more sanding to be flush. So a few days later I got up and went to drive over but drove about 3 blocks and smelled oil so I stopped and checked it out and the oil return line that they had installed had RIPPED approx 1 inch from the end of the tubing where it connects to the turbo! So my engine oil was draining out onto the street! Luckily I caught it after only about 1 qt had drained out! I used a razor to even off the cheap rubber tubing they had used for the return line and reconnected it, and drove the car over to the shop. When I was there showing them the exhaust leak I pointed out that the return line had ripped and it was real luck that I had caught it in time. They agreed and said they "usually dont have problems with that material and that they would have to replace it with something else". Well, 5 hours later I got the car back with no exhaust leaks (and $80) poorer. The car seemed to run great now that it had no exhaust leaks but they did NOT change the return line. I continued to drive the car for about another 2 weeks when I was driving home one night on the highway and heard a strange noise coming from the engine so as soon as I could pull over I did to find that the line had ripped AGAIN and this time ALL the oil had drained out and it had caused SEVERE damage to my engine and bearings and it was knocking HARD. I once again used a razor and refitted the line, filled the car with oil and nursed it the 1-2 miles home as slow as i could. Once I got home, I looked the next day and saw that it had actually ripped AGAIN a THIRD TIME! This time it ripped at the other end where it goes into the oil pan! Now- who is to be held at fault here for this engine? I dont think this was my fault AT ALL. I notified them of the problem in which they did nothing about it, AND it can easily be shown that the material tubing they used was NOT meant or approved for use with hot caustic oil or fuel. I should also tell you that on the receipts for the work is a disclaimer at the bottom, BUT I did NOT sign either of the receipts when they were given to me, but I am kind of afraid that by paying for the work and accepting a receipt that it can be looked at like signing them by accepting them but some poeple have told me otherwise. I will include pictures of the cheap tubing material they used. Do you guys think I stand a chance in court to get my money back for the new motor I had to go buy? (I bought a used JDM D15 for $600) I installed it myself, AND I have been out of a car for the past month because being a paraplegic in a wheelchair, I cannot just rent or borrow any car to drive because my car has hand controls installed which I need to drive. If you sat here and read this whole story I thank you and appreciate ur comments. Thanks again
Attached Images      
Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown motor- the blame game

I say they are at fault for agreeing that they needed to fix the line by replacing it with better material, but neglected to do so.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damm that sux. I soul blame them for it. Anyone knows that's a rubber hose. Like for the intake. I've had those rip from my intake to valve cover cuz of heat. God knows it would be worse with oil.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the obvious blame lies in the downpipe routed too close to that cheap rubber line. downpipe heated up the rubber line and caused it to fail.

the blame lies in poor quality rubber line and improper downpipe routing.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok good- thats what I want to hear, but we will have to see what the judge has to say. I can almost guarentee they are going to bring a lawyer and try to get all technical on me, but I myself am also a professional ASE certified mechanic and I know a few myself that I could bring as witnesses so I think I will be ok in court if they try to get technical. Would any of you guys mind if I printed this thread out and brought it to court with me in a few weeks?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wonder if something like this would even be admissible..

i also agree that that you should never use that type of line as an oil return, that's just ridiculous they would even put that on anyones car. plus the fact that it was also placed so close to the dp lead to even quicker failure of said tubing.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That looks like an autozone dress up kit hose, An oil line like that needs to be done right with the proper material.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow.....what idiots. I wouldn't use that on a daily, much LESS a turbo car...
Old 01-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO, it's as much your fault as theirs, maybe even more so.

When you first realized that they didn't change the line, you should have immediately taken the car back and demanded they do so. But instead you continued to drive the car for 2 weeks, knowing that it had already been an issue. Then when it failed again, and you heard some unusual noises (that you yourself said sounded like engine knock), you actually drove the car instead of having it towed. Also the fact that you're a ASE certified technician, and you still chose to drive the car in it's damaged state, isn't going to look good for you in court.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, that's just how I see it. In a perfect world, they should buy you a new engine and eat the labor as well.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The motor was already toast by the time I went to drive it home I couldnt go above 5 mph and 2k rpms for fear it would blow. I could not pull over when I first heard the noise because like I said I was on a highway at night and it was about 30 degrees outside and it was also raining AND im in a wheelchair AND in the spot I first heard it there was no shoulder or side streets or anything until the one I turned onto.

As for the oil line- yes I think ur kinda right about that I should not have left without having them change it especially since I pointed it out to them but I did anyway and then still drove. I believe at the time the reason I left was because they tried to convince me that it was a "one time thing" and that it wouldnt happen again with that hose because "they dont usually have any problems with it".

Another thing that I did not mention was that when I FIRST picked up the car the FIRST time, I said something to them about the return line being so close to the downpipe and they told me it would be "fine". So I trusted them and their work and the materials they chose to use and ended up in this mess.

I wrote them a letter and had my lawyer buddy critique it for me and sent it via registered mail to them, giving them 30 days to respond with what they plan to do about the situation. I think that is more than fair and I have talked to a few other people that have dealt with this company in the past and have had similar problems. I was told to do it ALL on paper and by the book so it can be handled by the civil court if need be.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:25 PM

If they installed the "Complete Turbo Kit" then they might be to blame and be held responsible. But if they only did what you asked them to then they will scape goat out of it and I would not waste my time trying to get them to pay.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are 100% at fault, you would have had better luck cutting up your mothers garden hose and using that
Old 01-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
IMO, it's as much your fault as theirs, maybe even more so.

When you first realized that they didn't change the line, you should have immediately taken the car back and demanded they do so. But instead you continued to drive the car for 2 weeks, knowing that it had already been an issue. Then when it failed again, and you heard some unusual noises (that you yourself said sounded like engine knock), you actually drove the car instead of having it towed. Also the fact that you're a ASE certified technician, and you still chose to drive the car in it's damaged state, isn't going to look good for you in court.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, that's just how I see it. In a perfect world, they should buy you a new engine and eat the labor as well.

I hate it, but I have to agree. Like said above, in a perfect world they should pay for a new engine as well as fit the labor charges. But if I were to have a shop put an oil return on my car and I showed up to see that, I would have never even started the engine until they fixed it and done it correctly. Just the more reason to do it yourself so you know its done right.

On another note, Goodluck with this situation.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sooooooo what psi will the oil light come on?