Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Blown head Gasket. But..... it fixed itself???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown head Gasket. But..... it fixed itself???

I was driving my car a lot a good 150 miles constantly the other day and i was siting at a light and my temp gauge went up to 3/4 and i thought maybe im low on water and it would go away after i drive. but no, it went all the way into the red but still ran normal. i turned it off the second it hit the red. I popped my hood and everything was good. i had good presure on hoses no smoke and everything seemed fine. i went to start the engines and it sounded like the timming was off bad or i was loosing compression in one cyl. i checked my oil and the cap had a little milky water in it and i immediatly knew. i forced it to start and it sounded like it was miss firing badly and **** loads of white smoke comming out. i got pissed off cause i knew i just put brand knew antifease in. and i red lined it and then it ran good i turned it off and towed it to my friends shop. next day I bought a head gasket and came to my friends shop. but before the job i wanted to test compression to see whats going on. a week before all this happen i test my compression and was 1-170...2-165...3-100....4-170 and now when i tested compression it was 1-185...2-175...3-180...4-170 which is great numbers but i thought maybe the head gasket blew only in one piston because it was verry low on cyl number 3 last time. i put my spark plugs in and started it and it ran like it was new again! no smoke at all i filled the water back up and test drove it and it ran good. and my fan is working but thats what i orginally thought was wrong. but i started thinking and after looking at my radiator cap the seal was broke. could this be the problem???? and why would it do all this and then just work perfect???

the oil is still good only a little on oil cap. after cleaning it it never came back only gold oil.

this is sooooo weird someone tell me whats going on.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Blown head Gasket. But..... it fixed itself??? (TravisCadello)

Headgasket blew, head probably warped, pulled back into place when the engine got cold. Last blown headgasket I saw acted the same way, engine ran fine until it warmed up then blew white smoke everywhere and barely ran.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you must have hit the easy botton and not realized they work great.. i used one the other day . i fliped my car and just about got knocked out didnt remember much.. the next day i go to get the car out of the inpound and it had a few dents and a broken window.. drove it out like nothin happend
Old 11-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown head Gasket. But..... it fixed itself??? (harker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by harker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you must have hit the easy botton and not realized they work great.. i used one the other day . i fliped my car and just about got knocked out didnt remember much.. the next day i go to get the car out of the inpound and it had a few dents and a broken window.. drove it out like nothin happend </TD></TR></TABLE>

wat???
Old 11-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown head Gasket. But..... it fixed itself??? (tenedor sports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tenedor sports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wat???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sarcasim.

Travis, listen to 94eg8.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown head Gasket. But..... it fixed itself??? (davefromPA)

Originally Posted by davefromPA

Sarcasim.

Travis, listen to 94eg8.
interesting...
Old 11-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown head Gasket. But..... it fixed itself??? (tenedor sports)

well it finnally blew all the way and would barely start. the valve cover had a **** loads of thick milky **** and the rods were knocking a little bit. ii changed the head gasket and shaved the head and now the motor is still knocking and making a nasty *** high pitched noise i think the oil filter might be clogged and not getting oil presure. i changed the oil with that bad *** value craft from autozone 2 a quart just to clean the motor and got a motor flush. im saving my mobil 1 full syntetic oil for after all the water gets out. but does it seem like i spun a rod bearing and now its rubbing nasty on the crank surface? or maybe the oil filter is causeing it???
Old 11-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Coolant and bearings don't mix. You most likely spun a rod bearing, replace engine.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make next time don't redline it when you think you just blew your HG? Good luck...
Old 11-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bakertime)

i have a spare block thats good but do you guys think the clogged oil filter is causing it?
Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 AM

ya you blow up your head gasket. i would change the head gasket and get your head machine or your car will keep over heating.