Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown engine

My freind and i were doing a v-tech swap on my civic. He was doing all of the work. We swaped the heads out and he put the old head gasket on and 2 days later my engine blew. He also didnt think about draining the oil or anti freeze before we started. I told him i would give him some things for doing the work but i dont want to now and he still thinks i should. Do you think that using the old head gasket was the reason it blew up? and i took of the head after this with every thing drained and there was about a 1/4 of an inch of anti freeze in my pistons.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: blown engine (redhcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redhcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My freind and i were doing a v-tech swap on my civic. He was doing all of the work. We swaped the heads out and he put the old head gasket on and 2 days later my engine blew. He also didnt think about draining the oil or anti freeze before we started. I told him i would give him some things for doing the work but i dont want to now and he still thinks i should. Do you think that using the old head gasket was the reason it blew up? and i took of the head after this with every thing drained and there was about a 1/4 of an inch of anti freeze in my pistons.</TD></TR></TABLE> It blew cus your phone wasn't charged, therefore not enough "V-Tech" fluid A.K.A "pimp Juice" was running through the Tanaminator.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

more info please... what year/model/engine/heads were you working with? how many miles on everthing? what "blew" exactly? did it throw a rod or did the head gasket go or what happened? sounds like head gasket went. why wouldnt you do proper maintenance and also get a new gasket? jeeze use your common sense... but i guess its a bit late for me to say that now huh
Old 03-31-2007, 11:24 PM

dude all u need to do is take the head back off and replace it with a new head gasket. head gaskets are like a crush washer once you squish them you cant reuse them. and before you put the head back on take it to a machine shop and have them re-surface it. that way it is perfectly flat. then you shouldnt have a problem. dont reuse the old head bolts either. they got hot so they wont be any good. as for your buddy, i wouldnt give him a thing. make him fix what he screwed up!!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:02 AM

Default Re: blown engine (jdmracer12)

dont let your friend touch your car again!!!!!!!!! eng. 101 never never reuse head gaskets never. as long as the head bolts are not stretch bolts you can reuse them, but dont. anybody who knows how to do stuff right doesnt reuse parts like that. dont give him anything for his work, and break his hand so he cant screw up someone elses car. machine your head new gasket and bolts you should be ok.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:35 AM

Talk to him let him know i can't pay you. Cause you did not do **** right sorry. it is what it is mostly likely he will talk **** behind your back and want to fight but **** he promise work that was poorly done. Then you should have used new part's too.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:30 PM

The car is a 97 civic has a d16y7 and we were doing a swap to the d16y8 vtech head. Not sure how many miles but quite a few. What blew was a rod bearing and the crankshaft is messed up. It was the piston closest to the clutch and i am not going to give him ****
Old 04-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definately don't give him a thing but a kick to the *****. Friends don't f^ck up your things and then ask for parts.

Coolant in your combustion chamber would be non compressable. If you bearings are all that is bad then your lucky.

New crank and rod and headgasket your set.
As far as headstuds, they can be reused once or twice. If you are going any kind of high performance the ARP or GE or AEBS is the way to go.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:27 PM

what