Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

blown boot, need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown boot, need help

I have a 98 civic ex. Im not sure what its called but the boot on the driver side is blown, its not the closer to the motor, but the one right by the brake. I need to know if they make a slip boot, or if im going to have to take off the whole axle and what not to replace it?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blown boot, need help

need help asap, and is it something i should deal with right away, i mean obviously im not gonna just ignore it but will it be ok for a little while?
Old 07-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your cv boot is torn and soon all the grease will make its way out....you need to go to the auto parts store and get another set of oem spec axles. They aren't too expensive. May as well replace both unless you can only afford one. yes, you will need to take off the whole axle. once you remove the hub from the control arm, slide the axle out of the hub and from the intemediate shaft.

I would deal with this asap but its not gonna kill you if you have to go from home to work and back for the next few days.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92eg_h22
your cv boot is torn and soon all the grease will make its way out....you need to go to the auto parts store and get another set of oem spec axles. They aren't too expensive. May as well replace both unless you can only afford one. yes, you will need to take off the whole axle. once you remove the hub from the control arm, slide the axle out of the hub and from the intemediate shaft.

I would deal with this asap but its not gonna kill you if you have to go from home to work and back for the next few days.
If it just a torn boot you car replace just the boot. A kit with grease and bands will probably cost like $20, replacing an axle will be more like $70. The axel will need to be removed to fix this.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool, thanks. i didnt realize how relatively cheap they are. Is it better to go with the regular boot? or would i be fine going with the quick boot and not removing the whole axle? like does the split boot have a shorter life?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you were to leave the boot cut, like someone said, the grease will get flung out every where making a big a$$ mess LOL and eventually leading to CV Axle joint failure. I've never done a boot repair, I guess if you catch it early enough it would be cool but most people don't and it's just easier to replace the whole axle, plus if you go get one from like Kragen or whatever they are usually lifetime axles if it breaks again you can get it replaced for free.

I think you need a special tool to install the ring clips/straps that secure the boot though as well, might wanna look into that too as that will add to the cost of your boot replacement.