Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

block guard installation ........ ?

Old 05-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default block guard installation ........ ?

I bought this block guard and recently installed it (it didn't come with directions) and if you read the "installation instructions" in the link below, it says to put loctite on 6-8 points or weld the block guard in place.

http://www.honda-performance.c...d=238

Well........ I didn't do this because I didn't know that I had too. Could this damage my engine? It was in there pretty damn solid so I don't know how I could take it out if I had too. I don't know how it could damage anything too.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 05-29-2005, 03:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: block guard installation ........ ? (WildPig)

lol.. ohh my. Yea you really wanna make sure to secure your blockguard, if it ever drops to the bottom and majroly interupts coolant flow.. well you got a big problem.

esp since your turbo... err, you are turbo right, or nos ?
Old 05-29-2005, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: block guard installation ........ ? (WildPig)

Looks like the one I got, had to tap it in with a hammer. I dont think it's going anywhere.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They are supposed to be machined in
Old 05-29-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

Just because it fits in their tightly doesn't mean anything - parts expand and contract a lot.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Aphelion)

best install on a block guard is to just throw it in the trash. You don't need it under 450 horses to the wheels, after that you should be sleeving the motor.

Really IMHO they do nothing but cause stress points on the sleeves and thats where it will crack.

You'll be much happier with not using it cause it will cause you problems down the road.

Especially since you didn't install it right. A machine shop needs to install it, weld it in, and make sure your deck surfaces are flat. And also make sure the cylinders are still perfectly round.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (mike1114)

well, you don't need to hone after you isntall a block guard.. duh a peace of metal sliding around your sleeves isn't going to warp it.. welding it in hower can, thats why you use jb weld. Also, thats just the dynamic's of engineering, i have never seen actauly proof a block guard works.. in theory.. it does. Shrug, it's not my car, who cares.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, you don't need to hone after you isntall a block guard.. duh a peace of metal sliding around your sleeves isn't going to warp it.. welding it in hower can, thats why you use jb weld. Also, thats just the dynamic's of engineering, i have never seen actauly proof a block guard works.. in theory.. it does. Shrug, it's not my car, who cares.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A piece of metal sliding around your sleeves sure as hell can warp it. Especially if the block guard is made of a different grade of metal or another metal altogether. Metal likes to EXPAND with heat. Potentially causing warpage.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (ptran13)

Well son of a ****.........

I got it pretty much free with my valvetrain setup so I decided to install it cause I had to take my head off anyway, and now I suddenly learn that they "don't do anything" and "could cause problems." Well ****, I'm pissed now.......

Even if I did want to take it out later, how could I? It's pretty ****** tight in there.........

Thanks for the info though.......

PS: **** blockguards!
Old 05-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (WildPig)

And no I don't have a turbo or nos, as of right now I'm NA (like my sig says). So I assume that I'm a dumbass..........
Old 05-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">duh a peace of metal sliding around your sleeves isn't going to warp it.. </TD></TR></TABLE> If you had to tap it in with a hammer, how is it "sliding around"?

WildPig, your not a complete dumbass, just ignorent. Remember, ignorence can be corrected. Stupidity lasts a lifetime.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:03 PM

man if i were you i would try to tap into it and try to slowly pry it out.... thats the only way i can think of... just slowly working it out with screws or something in the small holes... sorry man...
Old 05-29-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: (mrlegoman)

What I'm wondering is why people would WANT to restrict their coolant flow like that?
Old 05-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (jlacoy82)

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to get it out somehow, that tapping with screws idea is pretty good..........

If worse comes to worse and the guard destroys my engine, it's just a d series, I'll pick another one up.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlacoy82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What I'm wondering is why people would WANT to restrict their coolant flow like that? </TD></TR></TABLE>

okay but some companies sleeves are designed like the block guard, in regards to the coolant holes. so would those sleeves restrict flow also. and if so then why would they design them like that.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1993sir05)

do it right in a shop.

i remember seeing one done on a d16z6 motor. it should be machined on.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WildPig)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WildPig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to get it out somehow, that tapping with screws idea is pretty good..........

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm leaving mine in, I dont see a problem.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They are supposed to be machined in</TD></TR></TABLE>
This is true. This is supposed to be done [according to shops] to ensure that you dont cause any "movement' or "stress" on the sleeves and cause any extra friction between the sleeves and the pistons... so I've been told.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think about the heat build up right where the blockguard mates surfaces with all the cylinders. Coolant can't properly flow to those spots due( which is right where the combustion takes place to, most likely making that spot the hottness with the less amount of coolant flow) to the blockguard thus causing more stress on the cylinders from lack of heat dissipation. Plus those little holes in the blockguard aren't goign to let as much coolant to the head either, and that can affect ALOT of different moving parts in the head.

Old 05-30-2005, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really hate when people dis on block guards.
Yes the old designs really limited coolant flow - but if you even glance at the newer styles there has been quite a bit of redesign to them and this isnt really a problem anymore.
Block guards do their job of limiting cylinder flex. They have to be installed correctly for them to be of any value.
As always with this place, you get a handful of people saying "block guards suck" and everyone just hops right on board with them without having any real knowledge.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> everyone just hops right on board with them without having any real knowledge.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It is the internet.