Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

blinking Oil and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blinking Oil and check engine light

I recently bought a 1999' DX civic with an Si engine swap. Every once in awhile when I give it gas the oil light flashes. It doesn't actually stay on but it blinks for a second or two. Also - when I get on it my check engine light pops on, but it goes away within minutes. If this is no problem and is just due to the swap - sorry for athe stupid question. ( this is also my first post).
Old 04-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: blinking Oil and check engine light (HondaGSX)

What codes are being thrown?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaGSX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recently bought a 1999' DX civic with an Si engine swap. Every once in awhile when I give it gas the oil light flashes. It doesn't actually stay on but it blinks for a second or two.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That could be bad. Have you checked the oil level? The oil light doesn't go on when the fluid is low, but when the pressure is low. Having low oil could lead to low pressure and a flashing light. If the fluid level is okay, you could have a problem.

I'd take it to a mechanic and have a compression and leak test done, then have the oil pressure checked; maybe even pull the pan to see how the pump looks. Sounds like it may be starving since it's when you hit the gas.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaGSX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Also - when I get on it my check engine light pops on, but it goes away within minutes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

To check for the codes, go here: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1171263 and report back to what code you got. The problems could be related.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

those are usually codes being thrown I believe if the check engine light blinks you can count the blinks to know the code it's throwing not sure about the blinking oil light. check oil
Old 04-11-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: blinking Oil and check engine light (extra cam needed)

that happened in my friends car, and we just replaced the oil sender unit and everything was fine. but there are many other things that could cause this
Old 04-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blinking Oil and check engine light

Yeah, all I got was bad news....

I contacted the previous owner of the car and he told me it was bad news. The v-tec didnt work properly, something was wrong with the oil, and when the swap was done - the wiring was done wrong. I decided to pull the oil pan and found flakes of METAL floating around . It would have been perfect... Si swap w/ 55k and new paint. Anyway - looks like I'll be searching for something new. thanks for the replys.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: blinking Oil and check engine light (extra cam needed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by extra cam needed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">those are usually codes being thrown I believe if the check engine light blinks you can count the blinks to know the code</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you follow the link in the post that I provided, it will give you all the info you need to check your codes, and be able to find why your check engine light went on. If you were to check the code and report it, we would be able to provide a better plan of action or diagnosis.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by extra cam needed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not sure about the blinking oil light. check oil </TD></TR></TABLE>

The oil light comes on when there isn't enough pressure. Could be do to a bad sending unit, low oil, bad oil pump or clogged pump screens. The oil light is a pressure light, not an oil level light.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaGSX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I contacted the previous owner of the car and he told me it was bad news. The v-tec didnt work properly, something was wrong with the oil, and when the swap was done - the wiring was done wrong. I decided to pull the oil pan and found flakes of METAL floating around .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Metal shavings are definitely bad. What color / size were they?