Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Black smoke, mild idling issue (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/black-smoke-mild-idling-issue-3332338/)

redhatcode29 01-07-2019 03:11 AM

Black smoke, mild idling issue

Guys as mentioned above, having those problems, which is giving me bad mileage in addition.

its a civic EH aka EG, whose engine was swapped by the prevoius owner, no details of swap ! I found out that its a SO4 from ZC series, Jdm i believe. 1.6 SOHC, manual.

it was not smoking when i got it afew months ago. I had the timing belt changed, also drained the radiator liquid which was plain water and filled with Honda all season coolant type two. I dnt know exactly how long after this it started to smoke, the idling as well.

in solving the idling issue, i had the throttle body cleaned ( the mech just sprayed sm substance ) . But the idling issue was still there. From this point on i realised that the engine was smoking.

From the time i bought the car, the CEL was flashing, so decided to check on the error code, which ended in me changing the distributor, upon which the CEL disappeared. ( the distributor was a recon set, it gave me shit and engine died on the road ! Changed another two and its running now)

Hence the issue of smoke and idling persisted, reading forums guided me to change the coolant temp valve and a clean up of the idling control valve. On the first start it seemed that idling had disappeared, but it s still there, but not as bsd as before. The smoke however is still the same or even worse.

I dnt know if the issue persists because the coolant temp valve being not a genuine part, is not doing its job or what. Also the cleaning of the idle control valve was done while the coolant tubes were still attached.

i am thinking of the valve which is on the exhaust manifold, if thAt could be the culprit. The mechanic seems to suggest that it could be the ECU, which needs to be checked.

i am. beginning to wonder if it was the coolant which i emptied into the radiator is csusing the smoke ( four bottels of Honda all season anti freeze type 2, without mixing water) as in if the radiator has had a shock as it is used to plain water ! Ha ha.

also the plug cables need a replacement, could this add to the issiue ?

What do you guys suggest ?

Edit: its a non vtec

DaX 01-07-2019 04:09 AM

Re: Black smoke, mild idling issue

Black smoke is typically a sign of running rich. Pull your spark plugs and look at them.

redhatcode29 01-07-2019 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51823839)
Black smoke is typically a sign of running rich. Pull your spark plugs and look at them.

i think its obvious that i am running rich. How do i cure it

muellersfan 01-07-2019 05:36 AM

Measure the fuel pressure, test the FPR, and check for a stuck open fuel injector.

Post what ECU is running the ZC engine. Is it a VTEC or non-VTEC engine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine#ZC

DaX 01-07-2019 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by redhatcode29 (Post 51823868)
i think its obvious that i am running rich. How do i cure it

Pull your spark plugs. If one cylinder is obviously running richer than the others, you can likely narrow it down to a bad fuel injector. If they're all soaked in fuel, it may be a bad FPR.

muellersfan 01-07-2019 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51823921)
Pull your spark plugs. If one cylinder is obviously running richer than the others, you can likely narrow it down to a bad fuel injector. If they're all soaked in fuel, it may be a bad FPR.

:thumbup:

redhatcode29 01-07-2019 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51823921)

thank you. Will try that. Noob here, what is FPR may i ask ? Thanks.

muellersfan 01-07-2019 06:47 AM

Fuel Pressure Regulator

It is on the fuel rail and connects to a vacuum hose and a fuel return hose.

The FPR adjusts the fuel pressure to match the engine load.

Too high fuel pressure will make the engine run rich.

redhatcode29 01-07-2019 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by muellersfan (Post 51823896)
Measure the fuel pressure, test the FPR, and check for a stuck open fuel injector.

Post what ECU is running the ZC engine. Is it a VTEC or non-VTEC engine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_D_engine#ZC

=)

sorry i missed your post earlier, so thats fpr. Ill have to check on the ECU, not that i know how to 😀. Will look it up. My bad, i did not mention that it is Sohc non vtec. Will check on the link. Appreciate it.

redhatcode29 01-07-2019 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by muellersfan (Post 51823981)
Fuel Pressure Regulator

It is on the fuel rail and connects to a vacuum hose and a fuel return hose.

The FPR adjusts the fuel pressure to match the engine load.

Too high fuel pressure will make the engine run rich.

thank you.

muellersfan 01-07-2019 10:39 AM

If no VTEC code is thrown, then a P06 ECU for a D15B7 engine is likely installed. But it’s still wise to check.

muellersfan 01-07-2019 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by demon6666699999 (Post 51824614)
If the FPR was stuck open

I think you meant to say "stuck closed". That is, the fuel pressure is not relieved by the FPR releasing it to the fuel return hose.

I doubt the pump could put out enough pressure to force the injectors to leak.
Not to leak, but to pulse more fuel than required when signaled by the ECU.

demon6666699999 01-07-2019 02:02 PM

Prob. a injector or primary 02.

mk378 01-08-2019 04:57 AM

Check for gas leaking through the fuel pressure regulator to the vacuum hose. That gas would go into the intake and make black smoke. Black smoke means that a LOT of excess fuel is going into the engine.