Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Black box on my eg near oil filter

Old 09-09-2004, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black box on my eg near oil filter

whats going on...I started another thread about an axle problem iveb een having and i got all that figured out after i recently did a sohc vtec swap in my 92 si hatchback...today i added antifreeze and started driving it but during the swap i messed up with the coolant lines that are located near the t/b and under the intake manifold and etc. I got all of them figured out except for one -

Its one hose thats coming out of a black box thats near my oil filter...I have two hoses coming out and i have one of them hooked up to the correct spot. Theres just one more that i disconnected because I had it in the wrong spot and now i just have it dangling...When i disconnected it - the car was off and a couple drips of coolant came out - if you guys could please help me figure out where this one hose is supposed to go id really appreciate it...thanks in advance!
Old 09-09-2004, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Black box on my eg near oil filter (Si.Hatch.92)

that black box near the oil filter is an oil breather box, and the hose that hang is for pvc valve.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Black box on my eg near oil filter (2lua)

theres one coming out of the black box and one above it thats either on the black box or else directly above it......i'm trying to figure out where it is - all the other hoses under the i/m and t/b are connected properly (i hope)

I'm gunna try to figure out if i can drive without that hose connected for now...

any other suggestions?
Old 09-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldn't drive with it disconnected....you'll just be spaying coolant out the whole time. anyway, no coolant lines should go to the breather chamber. as 2lua said, it is the oil breather; you don't want any coolant going in there.

the loose line you have has to be the one that connects to the water tube, which runs between the water pump and the thermostat housing. it connects right by the line going to the breather box, that why you probably thought the box had 2 lines. look around some more, and you should see it. you might have to remove the line going to the breather, so you can attach the coolant line to the water tube, and then re-attach the line for the breather. these aren't the greatest diagrams, but i hope they help a little...

(these are for a d16y8)

*EDIT*
i checked around a little more and i think this is a pic of your engine. its basically the same, but the coolant line connects to the water tube more over by the water pump, instead of by the breather box. i know d16y8 engines, but i am not an expert on the egs. hope this is helping some...

*In BOTH pics, i think the line you want in labeled #2.

Modified by lj17 at 10:53 PM 9/9/2004

Modified by lj17 at 11:03 PM 9/9/2004
Old 09-09-2004, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Black box on my eg near oil filter (lj17)

Thans for those diagrams....it is the #2 hose im having trouble with...Im not sure where its supposed to connect to - i know it comes out by the water tube/water pump but does it connect with another hose and go into the valve cover breather???

Old 09-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, hose #2 (in the pics) should connect to the water tube itself, and the other end should connect to the valve that is bolted to the back if the intake manifold (by the tb). as you are looking at it from the front of the car, hose #2 should connect to the port (for lack of a better term) on the RIGHT hand side of the valve. the port to the left should have a hose connected to it that runs down to the throttle body (hose #1). that hose is pretty short, and easy to reach. i'm sure you already have that one connected. btw, what head, intake, etc. did you use when you did the vtec swap?
Old 09-09-2004, 07:24 PM

its a d16y5 head with a d16z6 intake manifold...

i got #2 hose coming out of the water tube but sat your in the driver seat looking at the rear of the manifold - should i connect #2 to the port all the way to our left...thats where it was originally connected...

then i have a hose coming out of a port near my vtec solenoid going to a port under my t/b...about 3 inches behind that i have a hose coming out of another port (short) and goes to the rear of the intake manifold which is next to #2 hose connected.... theres one more hose back there that im not quite sure what to do with and im sorry if this is confusing but these hoses are driving me insane lol...

thanks for all your help and thanks in advance for anything else you post lol you've been a huge help...i just need to figure out where this other hose goes...
Old 09-09-2004, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si.Hatch.92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got #2 hose coming out of the water tube but sat your in the driver seat looking at the rear of the manifold - should i connect #2 to the port all the way to our left...thats where it was originally connected...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, i was just describing as if you were in front of the car, but, same thing. and if that is where it was origionally connected, thats where it should go.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si.Hatch.92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
...about 3 inches behind that i have a hose coming out of another port (short) and goes to the rear of the intake manifold which is next to #2 hose connected.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

that should be hose #1, the one i was talking about before, that connects to the throttle body...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si.Hatch.92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
theres one more hose back there that im not quite sure what to do with and im sorry if this is confusing but these hoses are driving me insane lol...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

according to the oem shop manual, the hose comming out under the vtec solenoid connects to a upside-down U-shaped metal pipe, and then on the other side of the pipe, there is another hose (probably the one you are describing..) that runs from the pipe to the throttle body. it connects to the port on the throttle body that is sticking out toward the FRONT of the car. the other port on the tb is bent 90 degrees and is facing the firewall. that is the port that hose#1 is connected to.

you can sort-of see this in the pics, but they are pretty hard to follow...
Old 09-09-2004, 09:23 PM

thats exactly how i connected hose #1....i looked back at the old intake manifold (I swapped manifolds so I can convert to OBD1) and noticed that there was an extra "port" as we're callin them on the manifold so I just hooked up each hose as you told me and then plugged the extra one - filled it with anti-freeze and let it idle for a while and then took her out for like 20 minutes - car stayed at the same normal temp the whole time so I'm hoping it stays this way -

as long as I'm not overheating, I should be good right?

I'm gunna take a better look at everything tomorrow and do more research I just needed a car to drive for the present time...

Thanks a lot lj17 for all your help...you don't know how much I appreciate it man

Old 09-10-2004, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well if you have an extra 'port' that is not used, i would make sure it is plugged really good, if its going to be a permanant thing...you don't what the plug to blow out after the system gets pressured up. but if it held ok so far, you'll probably be alright. i'm not sure what you used either, but i'm just saying....(kinda sounded like a 'quick-fix' the way you described it..)

you shouldn't have to worry about overheating either, because if one of your hoses is not connected you should see the leak (assuming you start the car and wait and watch it until it gets up to operating temp.) and if there is a leak i would hope you would shut the car off before you let all the coolant leaks out
but, apparantly if you drove around for 20 min the system is not leaking. or not leaking very fast if it is. just double check all the hose connections and make sure your "plugged port" is ok.

i'm not an expert on the 5th and previous generation civics....so i couldn't follow exactly what you were saying. i pretty much know the d16y8 engine inside and out, and since all the d-series are pretty similar (and b-series for that matter) i guess it was pretty helpful to you. it would have been easier if there were better pics...there are realy good diagrams in the shop manaul, but since you have a y5 head and z6 i/m combo, they might not have been that helpful. at any rate....

glad i could help ya, and if you need something else, just let me know. just be sure you double check everything before you go crazy. if everything is cool, then vtec away
Old 09-12-2004, 07:16 PM

Sorry I haven't posted in a while...

I plugged that "port" by clamping a hose on it - and then sticking a bolt in it and putting a clamp on that side also...Not a drip comes out under pressure and everything. Cars been running good - stays at perfect operating temp all the time and idles perfect. Before I added the required amt. of antifreeze, I had a 2k rpm idle lol

car is perfect - now I just gotta get to work on suspension

Thanks again LJ17 for all your help...I really appreciate it
Old 09-13-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no problem, glad i was able to help you out. and i'm glad everything is ok and running good. have fun