Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bizzare problem with uneven rear suspension 99 Si

Old 03-28-2003, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizzare problem with uneven rear suspension 99 Si

I bought a used 99 Civic Si in May 2002, and noticed a few months after a significant amount of sagging on the rear driver-side. I should mention i bought the car with 29k miles and Eibach sportline springs already installed. No matter what surface my car sat on (parking lot, garage, etc) the back seemed to sack significantly to the drivers side, whereas the fron of the car appeared even. I got new tires at about 40k and it said nothing on the service slip about alignment, so I was worried, but I drove and the aligment felt perfect, even with the sag still there. I thought maybe I had a blown strut / sagging spring, so I bought KYB AGX struts and some Tsudo racing coilovers 500/400 front/rear. When I had my car up on a lift one of the mechanics pointed out one of the endlinks on my rear sway bar was bent/twisted out of place. I assumed that might account for the sag in the left but I still don't know. Both struts in the rear were pretty blown and the springs seemed fine. We installed the the KYB's with the coilovers on them, adjusted as high as I could turn them since I didn't know how far springs would settle. We dropped my car and the fender gap in rear was about 3-4 inches. The sad thing was it still appeared the driver side was sagging lower in the rear. After a day or two I jacked up the passenger side and lowered the perch on my coilover sleeve (tired of driving around feeling like im going to fall out fron of car). i had to have my buddy lift on the spring with a crowbar since there was some tension between spring and perch. After a few turns the spring lost tension and I could freely lower the perch the rest of the way. I lowered the pass. side and jacked up the driver side. This is where it gets messed up. I had my buddy get the crowbar in and lift the spring so I could lower the perch, and it felt like there was a massive amount of tension. I had to have my friend lift with the crowbar as I lowered the perch the entire time i was turning it, almost 2 inches i believe. The spring was compressed between the upper shock mount and the perch on the strut alot harder than the passenger side. So from this information and the pictures provided, what in god's name do I need to fix on my rear suspension (something tells me replacing that sway bar still probably isnt the problem). Oh and my rear tires sit at different positions in the fenderwell, and carry some POSITIVE camber, even though i have it lowered more than stock. Given the fact you took the time to read my novel I assume you are a nice person and will try to help me. Thanks a lot.

PS - I tried lowering the pass. side coilover to compensate for lean and that helped, but now the front tilts to the pass side whereas the rear used to tilt to drivers. grrrr

Old 10-21-2003, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Bizzare problem with uneven rear suspension 99 Si (CPAV)

i have the problem with my rear passanger side being alot higher than the drivers side also, i just cut some coils so it would be even..if you search around alot of people have problems with uneven drops in the rear with hondas, acuras
Old 10-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bizzare problem with uneven rear suspension 99 Si (CostaCivicSI)

same thing happened with my friends 97 ex coupe after shock replacement one side still sat lower
Old 10-21-2003, 05:42 PM

civics are notorious for being at uneven levels

my driver's side is about 1/4 of an inch lower than my passenger side
Old 10-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bizzare problem with uneven rear suspension 99 Si (ek9mugen)

It's the Civic "gangsta lean" and it's a very common thing.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Bizzare problem with uneven rear suspension 99 Si (CPAV)

my buddy had the same problem...he weighed 250lbs and had a shitty suspension
Old 10-21-2003, 07:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CostaCivicSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just cut some coils so it would be even.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would not recommend cutting coils... it eliminates the spring rate that was intedned when the springs were made.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:54 AM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: Bizzare problem with uneven rear suspension 99 Si (EG2 SiR)

Hondas are notorious for sitting uneven......