Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A bit of a problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit of a problem

I am burning a good bit of oil and need a little help figuring it out. I am burning about 2 quarts every 2k miles. This started happening about 2 months ago when it started to get really cold out. Around the same time it started to have problems starting when the motors cold. I have to crank it for a minute or two to get it to start. When it comes to the cold start problem I checked fuel pressure, dist cap and rotor, plug wires and plugs and everything checked out fine. I did a compression test and came out 200-205-200-200. The motor I have is a d15b and I am running Royal Purple 5W30. I don't know if it helps but I am getting between 39 and 43 miles per gallon. Three things that I noticed that are definitely problems are 1. Alot of black stuff (burnt oil) on my rear bumper above my exhaust. 2. When I did the compression test there was alot of oil on plug wire and on top of the plug in cylinder number 3. 3. On the inside of the oil cap there is some oily foam like stuff that is about the same consistency as mayo. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A bit of a problem (ender214)

No one has any ideas...
Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now I have more problems. Today i took me 10 minutes of cranking on my car to start it and when i got it started it had an extremely bad looping idle from 2500 to 1000 rpm But once the motor warmed up the idle was fine. please help soon.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One more thing... it is -4 degrees outside. I think that might make a difference.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ender214)

fix one problem at a time man. find out where those oil leaks are. I'm guessing they are gasket leaks. either replace your gaskets, or throw some of that gasket sealant in your engine, though i can't condone throwing gunk in your engine, my room mate did it and it sealed a lot of his gasket leaks. Then find out whats happening next. The reason your probably having trouble starting is that you got oil in with the plugs. so hurry up and get our oil fixed, clean off your plugs, make sure they are good, and see if that doesn't improve.
And being -4 isn't going to help, it'll actually make it harde to burn the oil away from the plugs and make you car run cappy.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

agreed on what austinkli says. my input is what i do. i have a bad piston ring so i use a higher weight oil. i use 10w30. try that out next oil change.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would try running a conventional oil.
also do you have a block warmer? or do you park your car inside?

also if you have oil on your plugs thats an easy fix, get new valve cover gasket things for the spark plugs, this will probably fix the exhaust on your bumper as well...once i managed to get too much oil in my car years ago, and it was because of the oil

Old 01-24-2008, 09:38 AM

Default Re: (instrument)

try doing a cylinder leakage test and post the results for each cylinder.

and as far as cranking, seems like you dont have enough cca for wherever you're living. get a battery that has a high cca rating. it'll probably help your cold start
Old 01-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Datphan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Datphan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and as far as cranking, seems like you dont have enough cca for wherever you're living. get a battery that has a high cca rating. it'll probably help your cold start</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a full size optima yellow to behind my passenger seat that is rated at 780 cca. I dont think that that is the problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would try running a conventional oil.
also do you have a block warmer? or do you park your car inside?

also if you have oil on your plugs thats an easy fix, get new valve cover gasket things for the spark plugs, this will probably fix the exhaust on your bumper as well...once i managed to get too much oil in my car years ago, and it was because of the oil

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I figured I needed a new valve cover gasket so I ordered one a couple of days ago. Is it ok to switch from synthetic back to conventional? I was thinking about getting a block heater but I always thought that those were just for big diesel trucks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by austinkli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fix one problem at a time man. find out where those oil leaks are. I'm guessing they are gasket leaks. either replace your gaskets, or throw some of that gasket sealant in your engine, though i can't condone throwing gunk in your engine, my room mate did it and it sealed a lot of his gasket leaks. Then find out whats happening next. The reason your probably having trouble starting is that you got oil in with the plugs. so hurry up and get our oil fixed, clean off your plugs, make sure they are good, and see if that doesn't improve.
And being -4 isn't going to help, it'll actually make it harde to burn the oil away from the plugs and make you car run cappy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking about useing that gasket sealer but I dont know. Does anybody have any opinions on them?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ender214 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I was thinking about useing that gasket sealer but I dont know. Does anybody have any opinions on them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

As I said before, i can't condon putting a bunch of gunk in your engine, but at the same time, my room mate did throw one of those bottles of gasket sealer in and it worked ok. I wouldn't suggest halfassing it. But do what you gotta do. Don't go buy a $65 bottle of gasket sealer, chances are, it won't work and youll have to replace it anyway. Buy a cheapo one, so you don't waste your money. Also, don't forget, i think you're having trouble starting because there is oil in the cylinder with the spark plugs. so don't forget to clean that out. Let us know how that works out. You don't need a block heater. It may help a little, but it's not a necessity for you.