Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

BIIIIG but BIIG CLUTCH PROblems

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BIIIIG but BIIG CLUTCH PROblems

I just bought a brand new Centerforce clutch kit w/throw out bearing and everything. I got a d15 motor. We took off the tranny put the new clutch on, aligned it and tried to put the tranny back up but it wouldn't really go straight in so we kind of messed up the clutch pattern a little bit, some small pieces of metal are in it now. We took the whole motor out to try to do it with the motor outside instead of just pushing the tranny up and putting it together in the air and the tranny wouldn't go in. We took the clutch apart and figured that it wasn't aligned any more. We tried aligning it but the pattern wouldnt let the alignment tool to even go in. We tried it on the tranny and it wouldnt go in so we tried the stock one and it went in perfectly. However, sum1 told us to hammer the clutch into the tranny so it could kind of get the patterns right again. So we tried that but now we can't get the clutch out and i think that it didn't fixed anything neither. My clutch is stock into my tranny now and i dont find no ways to get it out.. My question is... Is there any ways on getting it out? any ideas ??? and IF i take it out, what other ways could i use to fix the pattern on the clutch, sum1 told me that with a small screw driver i could do it slowly and it could work but idk, u guys tell me.... but how can i get that clutch out of there ?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: BIIIIG but BIIG CLUTCH PROblems (boostedhks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedhks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sum1 told us to hammer the clutch into the tranny so it could kind of get the patterns right again. So we tried that but now we can't get the clutch out and i think that it didn't fixed anything neither. My clutch is stock into my tranny now</TD></TR></TABLE>

WHAT??? are you serious? sorry to say it but your f*cked now. you definetely need a new clutch now and most likely a new input shaft for the tranny because all the splines are f*cked now.all i can say is good luck!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not to sound like a smartass but do you know they make chilton and hanyes manuals that have step by steps better yet online you can find diy writeups with pics.... you should have researched it a bit... good luck on the install...
Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't say that the car was like almost ready to get registered and this happens omfg XD is there any way to save it tho ??? :X or is it simply gone.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedhks)

man we have done this before and it worked out perfectly fine, geez ! and i was actually thinking of buying a hanes manual not too long ago but i let it pass idk know why :x
Old 08-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ouch.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well,. just found out that i wont need a new clutch, i just need to clean the teeths pattern on it so thats good to know. However i need to find a way to get it out.. any ideas ?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's really that stuck, you may have to destroy the clutch to take it off but I doubt it. Are you talking about the splines? The lines/teeth on the shaft where the clutch slides on to?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow..
Old 08-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sohcvtec1995)

yes thats where im talking about that it got stuck.... However, the clutch is not that into that thing is just the tip inside, i just dont want to be hitting it to mess it up, im trying to find the better way to take it out before making that get worst.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't have anything that's like the oposite of a C-clamp? Meaning, instead of clamping/closing up, it instead opens/pushes outwards. If you could maybe stick something like that behind the clutch you may be able to get it off that way. Otherwise, pull that clutch with ALL YOUR MIGHT making sure that nothing is behind you than can kill you when you shoot backwards. I just don't see how that clutch could be THAT stuck on the splines. Also, when grabbing the clutch, DON'T GRAB IT BY THE FRICTION MATERIAL! You'll get HORRIBLE splinters from it and will crack it as well.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BIIIIG but BIIG CLUTCH PROblems (speedracer9k)

I doubt the splines on the transmission are fked up but your definitely going need a new clutch disk. I had the same problem but managed to save the disk by working the alignment tool in it. As for pulling the clutch off the transmission just slowly wiggle it off. Just pull the clutch disk off the input shaft. Just watch for **** behind you when you fly backwards. Also you might really need a new clutch disk depending on how bad the splines are worn away on it.

Modified by EJ1_Sleeper at 10:48 PM 8/25/2008
Old 08-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BIIIIG but BIIG CLUTCH PROblems (EJ1_Sleeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1_Sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I doubt the splines on the transmission are fked up but your definitely going need a new clutch disk. I had the same problem but managed to save the disk by working the alignment tool in it. As for pulling the clutch off the transmission just slowly wiggle it off. Exactly how far is the clutch stuck on the input shaft?</TD></TR></TABLE>

He says it's pretty much at the tip. that clutch HAS to come off with enough pulling and wiggling. The only way I could think it's this tight is beacuse the splines are not lined up at ALL and you caused the splines on the disk and shaft to crash. I doubt a little dirt could cause such a seize.

Do any of you know the name for a product that works like a reverse vice? Instead of clamping, it pushes outwards instead? I've seen them before. As you screw the screw thingy, the vice thingies separate from eachother.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nevermind, ignore my posts. I just realized that you may not be able to fit anything between the flywheel and clutch disk, I think.

Edit : Wow, now I'm REALLY confused. Is the clutch stuck to the engine or tranny? I don't see how it could be stuck against the tranny because the pressure plate would go over the clutch, and I don't see how the clutch could get stuck on the engine since the clutch doesn't sit on the crankshaft. Sorry I'm lost. Any pics?

Modified by sageuvagony at 7:51 PM 8/25/2008
Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yah i got that tool, i dont remember its name but i think i saw one in my buddy's garage, otherwise in autozone i think they sell it, that it closes up with like 3 big teeths. I will try that tomorrow morning and see what happens, the clutch is only at the tip so i doubt it messed the whole thing up. When i take it out ill let u guys now and if i dont ill shoot pictures and ill shoot pictures of the clutch anyways so u guys see how it is... thanks a lot
Old 08-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

np, good luck.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a question though ? I got a lightweight flywheel and that aftermarket clutch, How much torque do i need to apply to the flywheel and how much torque to the clutch, i read online that it was 85 ft/lbs to the clutch and a friend of mine told me that the flywheel i should just wrist-tide it as it breaks easily the bolts on it, but im not sure, could u guys help me out with this ? i dont want to fix this up and then mess it up again cuz of a bad installation of an aftermarket clutch.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the clutch is stock to the tranny, the tranny is off the car and i tried sliding the clutch to where it goes in the tranny instead of to the alignment tool just to see if it went in, so it didnt and they told me to bang it in so i could make the thread so i did and its now stuck. so its only the clutch and the fork of the tranny. no motor involved, no pressure plate or flywheel, nothing like that.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why not just trying to get something between the clutch and the housing and prying it out. But go from one side to another. Don't just pry on one side only do it evenly. But i also don't know how far it's stuck in the trans...
Old 08-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedhks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the clutch is stock to the tranny, the tranny is off the car and i tried sliding the clutch to where it goes in the tranny instead of to the alignment tool just to see if it went in, so it didnt and they told me to bang it in so i could make the thread so i did and its now stuck. so its only the clutch and the fork of the tranny. no motor involved, no pressure plate or flywheel, nothing like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let me get this straight, you tried sliding the clutch disc on the transmission input shaft to make sure it fit (good idea to make sure you recieved the correct clutch disc) and then when it didn't fit you proceeded to beat it on with a hammer (horrible idea). The clutch disc has to slide smoothly on the input shaft. If it legitimately didn't fit i'd say you either ordered the wrong clutch or there was a purchase/shipping error on the vendors end. Its possible they sent you a clutch for an '88 civic, they have a different spline count than other d-series clutches. My advice would be to try to get a prybar under the center of the clutch disc as close to the hub as possible, if you pry on the friction material you're gonna warp the clutch disc all to hell and probably shatter the friction material. Get a dead blow or ball pein hammer and a center punch, hold the center punch on the end of the imput shaft and hit it with the hammer while prying up on the clutch disc and see if this will get it off the imput shaft.

Modified by 94EG8 at 3:13 PM 8/26/2008
Old 08-26-2008, 09:03 AM

there are countless ways you could do this but without pics hard to give you an effective way.

My only question is what part of beating the clutch on sounded like a good idea?

whoever told you to do that should get you a new clutch and tranny - but you proceeded to do it

could get the tranny on a bench or somewhere and secure it - and get something like a slide pull and try to yank it off of there.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i got it fixed. I hit it from the back through the space from that thing that holds the bearing. Put something there and hit it right in the middle, turn it and keep doing it until it finally came out. The tranny didnt had no damage at all it actually was building the clutch's lines. So i took a small *** flathead and fixed the clutch lines and it went back on, so now its on the car with no problem. However i got a problem... i changed the clutch cuz the last one i had one i felt too loose and it was an aftermarket. I put this exedy and still same **** and we bleed it and everything. My question is : Could it be my pedal assembly that is bad or what could it be ?
Old 08-26-2008, 06:52 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Dude are you reading what your'e typing? You need a degree in jibberish translation to understand what you're saying. Or mabe you seven years old. Oh yea, I got a set of five lug wheels and tires for cheap. They're fawken sweet. I know you got four lug hubs but just get a buddy to hold them up there and pound on em with a sledge hammer, the lugs will poke through eventually.

Modified by nub at 4:21 AM 8/27/2008
Old 08-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man wth are u talking about ?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

I'm talking about you banging your clutch disc onto the input shaft of your transmission with a hammer and the way you describe it. Go back and read your post'.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedhks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> However, sum1 told us to hammer the clutch into the tranny so it could kind of get the patterns right again. So we tried that but now we can't get the clutch out and i think that it didn't fixed anything neither. My clutch is stock into my tranny now and i dont find no ways to get it out.. My question is... Is there any ways on getting it out? any ideas ??? and IF i take it out, what other ways could i use to fix the pattern on the clutch, sum1 told me that with a small screw driver i could do it slowly and it could work but idk, </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedhks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I got a lightweight flywheel and that aftermarket clutch, How much torque do i need to apply to the flywheel and how much torque to the clutch, i read online that it was 85 ft/lbs to the clutch and a friend of mine told me that the flywheel i should just wrist-tide it as it breaks easily the bolts on it,</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedhks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the clutch is stock to the tranny, the tranny is off the car and i tried sliding the clutch to where it goes in the tranny instead of to the alignment tool just to see if it went in, so it didnt and they told me to bang it in so i could make the thread so i did and its now stuck. so its only the clutch and the fork of the tranny. no motor involved, no pressure plate or flywheel, nothing like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I dont know why I'm pointing it out to you, you typed it so it pobubly looks normal to you.

Quick Reply: BIIIIG but BIIG CLUTCH PROblems