Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

big problem - 99 si with 98-01 JDM type r - from H MOTORS - CEL problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big problem - 99 si with 98-01 JDM type r - from H MOTORS - CEL problem

well DEQ time is coming up, and i still have not fixed my CEL problem, any computer i attach to test the CEL it does not establish a connection, i also took it to DEQ for them to try communicating wit the computer but no luck, they tell me they cant even test deq

i havent cracked VTEC for about 1.5 years, been really busy but now im forced to fix since i gota register the car and get new stickers,

i did run a CEL mualy and it came out with CODE 07 which i believe is the TPS - when i got the motor originally from H-motors, the tps was hanging by the wire and the gasket was torn apart, i made a new gasket from gasket material and reattached the TPS, however i did not adjust it, could this be the problem?

how is deq going to test emission when they can not communicate with the ECU? im lost help out please
Old 01-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as the TPS, mine was the same way, from HMO as well. it struck me as odd that they would do that, but i am reusing my intake and TB so it wasn't much concern for me in the long run. adjusting the TPS would probably solve you CEL, not sure about the rest.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (packman5280)

HMO takes off the TPS because of its location, it's prone to breaking in shipment. If you're using the JDM ECU that HMO sent you, you will never pass emissions. The protocol used at inspection stations cannot communicate with those ECUs. You need to pick up a USDM OBD2A ecu to pass (and a conversion harness). The OBD2B ecu (direct plugin for your year) will not work because it has an immobilizer which you cannot disable without getting a CEL.

This thread is right on time

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2193100
Old 01-08-2008, 10:53 AM

lol haha, well this sorta relieves some stress, see i already had to buy the conversion harness to make that jdm ecu plug in, so all i would need now is a usdm ecu

so just to clear some things up, no computer (scanner, troubleshoot scanner) can communicate with this jdm ecu? thats why i couldn't read any codes from scanners? i used some darn good scanners, like snap on and wouldn't do it

ok i have another problem, the o2 sensor (first one on header) was already there but when i put the exhaust on i had to buy the 2nd o2, but holy God, its still smoking, not that you can see it but after a while the entire back trunk and the plate area is like black from carbon, what could that be? why sooo much? could it be the o2?

will this usdm ecu just plug and play? dont need anything extra? the ecu is not much different from jdm?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
HRD PKR

Default Re: (alien)

you dont need a scan tool to read codes, all you got to do is use the 2pin jumper by the ecu, blue connector.

your car is running rich, thats what the black stuff is on the bumper...

usdm ecu is plug in play, pretty much. what usdm ecu you goin to get?

you can use the 99-00 si ecu

just buy a new tps they arent that much
Old 01-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that was also my thought...just run the stock Si ecu for the testing.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:52 AM

nooo way?! i can run stock ecu. lol it just happens that i got one! i didnt know jdm type r or type r itself will run on stock 99-00 si ecu.. wicked cool lol ill give that a shot, i tried that 2pin connector, and it did say TPS but nothing else, but im not sure why runin so rich, will the ecu fix the runing rich problem maybe?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can't just plug in a USDM ECU to run a JDM engine, they are many other sensors the USDM ECU looks for, CKF, VTEC pressure, and purge solenoid are the most important

if you use the 99-00 Si ECU your probably going to get some long term fuel trim malfunction CEL, and it wont let you pass, I just did this swap and passed emissions last week

00 B18C(R) into a 00 civic, USDM P73 OBD2A ECU, and it runs PERFECT

search for this topic there is a good write up on how to convert the engine
Old 01-08-2008, 12:13 PM

Default Re: (sicones)

in order for this to pass emission, i will need a usdm ecu and convert the engine? lol, that sux expletiveing donk

let me get this straight 1 more time lol

to pass emission in USA with a 98-01 jdm type r i need:

USDM type r ecu
convert the engine?

i cant see to find that good write up how to convert
Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The CKF and VTEC pressure circuits can both be bypassed, and since he has an Si there will be a connector and vac cannister to attach a purge solenoid hose to. Should be able to run any pcs he can find cheap.

I'm not suggesting permanent usage of the Si ecu, just for testing. A slight lean condition might help with the sniffer test even!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 PM

... not much experianced in that area, i took a bad step into doing this... not even sure what purge solenoid hose is
Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (klungemonger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The CKF and VTEC pressure circuits can both be bypassed, and since he has an Si there will be a connector and vac cannister to attach a purge solenoid hose to. Should be able to run any pcs he can find cheap.

I'm not suggesting permanent usage of the Si ecu, just for testing. A slight lean condition might help with the sniffer test even!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Kluge is dead on.

If you want the easy way out toss the stock 99-00 Si ECU back in, do the wiring tricks at the ECu to bypass the CKF and VTEC oil pressure siwtches, make sure the EVAP purge and secondary oxygen sensors are hooked up, and test drive the car for a few days (lightly since it will run a touch lean) and see if the 99-00 ECU throws codes.

Usually actually retrofitting the VTEC oil pressure switch and CKF sensors are monumental pains in the ***, but with recent info becoming available on wiring tricks it's been simplified.

I'll see if I can find the topic(s) that cover exactly how to trick a US OBD2 ECU into thinking the engine has the CKF and VTEC oil pressure switches.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:03 PM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

that would be awesome, thanks a bunch! B18C5-EH2 ---&gt; lol
Old 01-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CKF bypass and many other good wiring tips found here:
http://technet.ff-squad.com/

VTEC pressure bypass here:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board...31958

If you bridge the VTEC wires by the ecu, use a OBD2 ecu diagram you can find in the first link page...the one he used for the writeup was with OBD1 ecu
Old 01-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bet that Si ecu is going to throw a lean code.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The ecu does have some capability to compensate, it's what the O2 sensor is for. If it can't do enough, add a few PSI to the fuel pressure til the lean goes away.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 AM

are you running a cat? or a test pipe? any type r motor i have seen, b18c5 or b16b running no cat shoots carbon out the tail pipe like its on fire. just use a type r car
Old 01-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicex442)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicex442 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> just use a type r car</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats the most practical suggestion I've ever seen! If you're having some issues with your JDM swap, hey, just buy a whole Type R! That will fix it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicex442 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just use a type r car</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-12-2008, 09:52 AM

lol, im using a cat yes, high flow cat with a jdm 5 zigen exhaust system, sounds nice ... but i think my high flow cat is completely broken inside now, i had it on when i didnt have my o2 sensor in there.. i cant remember, but i can hear the noise coming from inside the cat, things broken inside are making sound..

i used the si ecu and we were able to get reading codes, i have all the codes writen at home, but basicly it was the crank sensor vtec sensor and than the TPS i talked about,

klungemonger posted some sweet links where i will visit and attempt to trick the ecu, thanks a lot everyone, as for the carbon, i guess ill just have to get rid of the codes than get a new cat and see if it throws more codes...
Old 02-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So Gonna Thread Jack a lil. I have a 99 CTR B16B in a 94 Civic DX Coupe that WAS automatic originally and I converted to manual. I wired up the motor to the original SOHC Engine Harness and the plugs on the ECU side will stay as OBD1. Now, I have a JDM OBD2b CTR ECU so I figured I'd go to Rywire.com and buy a jumper but I had a little doubt. To triple confirm do JDM ECU's have immobilizers? Anyone see any issue with this setup? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EuroR_TSX)

No JDM ECUs have immobilizers, and yes you can get a OBD1 to OBD2 jumper harness but you can only use it with JDM spec ecus because they lack a lot of emission related sensors
Old 02-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sicones)

Ok kool, so if it has an immobilizer I heard that I have to wire the fuel pump directly or something, because thats part of the ECU's immobilizer. Does that sound right? If thats the case I might be better off buying a VTEC OBD1 ecu and have it reflashed for a 99 CTR B16B.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:11 PM

Default Re: big problem - 99 si with 98-01 JDM type r - from H MOTORS - CEL problem (alien)

whats DEQ?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EuroR_TSX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EuroR_TSX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok kool, so if it has an immobilizer I heard that I have to wire the fuel pump directly or something, because thats part of the ECU's immobilizer. Does that sound right? If thats the case I might be better off buying a VTEC OBD1 ecu and have it reflashed for a 99 CTR B16B.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I just said it doesn't have an immobilizer so you can use it, but your still better off getting a chipped P28

Quick Reply: big problem - 99 si with 98-01 JDM type r - from H MOTORS - CEL problem