Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Big brake kit for EG

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big brake kit for EG

I am looking for a front big brake kit for my EG. Has to be 4x100 and should have 13" (330mm) discs and 4 piston calipers. Price should be around $1,200.

The AEM and Rotora big brake kits met this 'requirements'. Ryane also offers modified Wilwood brakes. Does the Wilwood kit also come with 13" discs?

Any other options? I saw the Brembo kit sometimes for cheap.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Big brake kit for EG (Andre)

There is the Baer kit, but its a two piston. I have it on my civic and love it! Their two piston PBR caliper works as good as a four piston. I think you can pick up the front track kit with the 13" rotor for about $900.

Old 08-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big brake kit for EG (Marauder)

WOW

those brakes look sick

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is the Baer kit, but its a two piston. I have it on my civic and love it! Their two piston PBR caliper works as good as a four piston. I think you can pick up the front track kit with the 13" rotor for about $900.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-20-2004, 09:57 AM

if i was you i would go with gsr,99-00 si, or itr swap brakes!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is the Baer kit, but its a two piston. I have it on my civic and love it! Their two piston PBR caliper works as good as a four piston. I think you can pick up the front track kit with the 13" rotor for about $900.

</TD></TR></TABLE> Holly cow, what size wheel do you need? 18's?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big brake kit for EG (Split Image Prez)

17" wheels required

Can get the Baer front track kit for $735 here! http://www.hopupracing.com/bafrtrclbrsy5.html
Old 08-20-2004, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">17" wheels required

Can get the Baer front track kit for $735 here! http://www.hopupracing.com/bafrtrclbrsy5.html
</TD></TR></TABLE>

funy they call it a track kit and then require you to use a 17" wheel to fit it
Old 08-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big brake kit for EG (MichaelJComputer)

fastbrakes i belive sells an 11.1 inch rotor in the 4x100 pattern then just purchase the ITR caliper or if your really crazy just get 91 NSX calipers
Old 08-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big brake kit for EG (Andre)

do aftermarket brake setups even stop better as compared to say itr rotors and calipers? (keeping in mind that you can do this brake swap alot cheaper)

ive seen the wilwood and baer kits and the contact area (brake pads to rotor area) is much smaller compared to say oem itr rotors and brake pads? even though they are both larger rotors compared to the itr rotors. itr's having a bigger contact area although.

just wondering if it would be better to go an itr/prelude setup to any of the aftermarket set ups aswell as keeping your 4 lug...
Old 08-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big brake kit for EG (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do aftermarket brake setups even stop better as compared to say itr rotors and calipers? (keeping in mind that you can do this brake swap alot cheaper)</TD></TR></TABLE>

generally, no. over the course of an endurance race however, it may be beneficial to have a big brake kit as temperatures get pretty extreme after some amount of time. FWIW, my civic on stock civic brakes (racing compund front pads) and drums can stop repeatedly from 120mph with no problems.

&lt;-- sitting eagerly for someone to tell me i'm wrong, it always happens in these threads in which i denounce the superiority of big brake kits.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MichaelJComputer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">funy they call it a track kit and then require you to use a 17" wheel to fit it </TD></TR></TABLE>

What size wheels do Speed Channel World Challenge cars use?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MichaelJComputer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

generally, no. over the course of an endurance race however, it may be beneficial to have a big brake kit as temperatures get pretty extreme after some amount of time. FWIW, my civic on stock civic brakes (racing compund front pads) and drums can stop repeatedly from 120mph with no problems.

&lt;-- sitting eagerly for someone to tell me i'm wrong, it always happens in these threads in which i denounce the superiority of big brake kits.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i know that certain pads will take care of the heat issues and the overal stopping distance. i was just wondering if the contact area of the aftermarket brands which normally tent to be smaller , yet larger overall has any better effect in stopping quicker? i figure a larger brake pad contact and decent racing pads would do a better job.?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big brake kit for EG (cxSHOE)

Track car:

17" wheel and big brakes.

And, big brakes are meant to stop you quicker. Here's the one visual Baer has on their website.

Old 08-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Track car:

17" wheel and big brakes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

First of all, they are required to run 17" wheels, they might as well stuff the biggest brakes they can in there, eh?

Second of all, if you had read what I said, big brakes can be beneficial on race cars that see endurance racing. They see extreme heat conditions that cannot even be fathomed by someone who doesn't track their car.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Enjokosai

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MichaelJComputer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

&lt;-- sitting eagerly for someone to tell me i'm wrong, it always happens in these threads in which i denounce the superiority of big brake kits.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BIR t2 to t3 is 120mph to 60mph in about a 3/4 football field, I run all stock with race pads, and drums, no issues. No clown in this forum will ever max out their stock setup with the addition of race pads and fluids unless they are running R compound tires. Hell I am still locking up at 100mph. Modulation and pedal feel are the only arguements I can see worthwhile on a street tire car. But again, 99% of the people in here dont track their cars, so its all ShOw BaBY!
Old 08-20-2004, 11:10 AM

!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big brake kit for EG (Enjokosai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Enjokosai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BIR t2 to t3 is 120mph to 60mph in about a 3/4 football field, I run all stock with race pads, and drums, no issues. No clown in this forum will ever max out their stock setup with the addition of race pads and fluids unless they are running R compound tires. Hell I am still locking up at 100mph. Modulation and pedal feel are the only arguements I can see worthwhile on a street tire car. But again, 99% of the people in here dont track their cars, so its all ShOw BaBY!</TD></TR></TABLE>

to another person who TRACKS THEIR CAR and speaks from real-world experience.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"></TD></TR></TABLE>

Did that stock vehicle have upgraded pads? Otherwise, that is just deceitful marketing at work.

Stock brakes + racing pads vs big brakes + racing pads is fair. I have a strong feeling they did stock brakes + OEM pads vs big brakes and racing pads. You can't change two factors and say it is clearly both of them at work. Comparisons are only valid if one and only one factor is changed.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey you could buy my prelude brakes and make a big brake kit off that!
first 150 + shipping takes it!
Old 08-20-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Big brake kit for EG (H22A EG6)

i think Fastbreaks makes a kit with your requirements
Old 08-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

more weight you'd have to spin
Old 08-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my ITR setup and it does the job... I've had people who drive Porsches say my brakes feel just as good as thiers.

Those big brake kits are 90% show for most people anyway....
Old 08-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jerbear!)

I have seen a few peiopkle on EF's run stock brakes front a rear

last time I saw it was at VIR fukll coarse during the enduro

or how about the car that placed in the top 10(93 civic VX) or 46 cars (mostly high dollar cars) that was using stock rear discs and ITR front brakes....that is all you would ever nee IMHO
Old 08-20-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Re: (gulftireinc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gulftireinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i was you i would go with gsr,99-00 si, or itr swap brakes!</TD></TR></TABLE>

We don't have the GSR in Europe and the ITR brake swap sells for $1,200.

And i don't see any advantage of a 5 lug suspension over a 4 lug.

Currently i have the stock brakes of the B16A2 equipped EG6 with disc in the front and rear. I was scared when i had to brake hard the first time at 150 mph. At 100 mph the brake force from downshifting was better than from my front brakes

I have also tried the Ferodo DS2000 brake pads and they helped a little bit. But i am looking for a brake i can drive 500 miles with and brake from 150 mph again and again.

And everyone who went to a track day knows how bad stock brakes are.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the pic, the BEAR kit looks awesome.

Is anyone using the Rotora kit?
Old 08-20-2004, 12:13 PM

Default Re: (jerbear!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerbear! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">more weight you'd have to spin </TD></TR></TABLE>

Aluminium calipers = Less weight

Does anyone have the weight of stock Civic (240mm) and ITR (262mm) rotors?

Quick Reply: Big brake kit for EG