Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Big argument

Old 09-15-2003, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big argument

Ok the other day my dad and i were talking about me gettin a new car...i'm interested in getting a hatchback say a 92-95. I also told him about my plans for doing an engine swap to a teg engine prolly an ls. The big argument was about whether my insurance would go up if my insurance carrier found out i have a more powerful enging in my car. I told him that it doesn't matter what i do to my car the insureance will always be the same but he say's it will get higher. Can anyone settle this argument for me??
Old 09-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big argument (pdonovan11785)

It will only go higher if you insure the engine.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:18 AM

Daddy's right, you're wrong. If you tell an Insurance company they will definitely raise the rates. If you don't want to think of it as a power issue, think of it as it will cause the insurance company more money to replace the ls engine rather than replacing a stock engine.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only info they have is from the VIN #:. So a 4 door would be cheaper than a coupe, or integra. They only know what you tell them.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:20 AM

I had a 93 civic with a b16 and when it got totaled my insurance company would not cover the moter because the said it was not factory so be careful
Old 09-15-2003, 11:25 AM
HAnda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big argument (WhItE99CiViC)

insurance covers what they hear, and if they dont hear that engine swap, they wont cover it

BUT you can get FULL coverage

my friend had full coverage and his car was reported "stolen"

he got the money for his car back and some people hooked him up with fake receipts of car parts so he got EXTRA money to go with it...
Old 09-15-2003, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Big argument (B18C_DC2)

I told my insurance that I did an engine swap and they said it is a mechanical upgrade which they do not cover under a normal policy. Mechanical upgrades are everything we do with the exception or rims on the exterior of our cars.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">insurance covers what they hear, and if they dont hear that engine swap, they wont cover it

he got the money for his car back and some people hooked him up with fake receipts of car parts so he got EXTRA money to go with it...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-15-2003, 11:30 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">insurance covers what they hear, and if they dont hear that engine swap, they wont cover it

he got the money for his car back and some people hooked him up with fake receipts of car parts so he got EXTRA money to go with it...</TD></TR></TABLE>Insurance fraud is great Tell your friend thank you for making everyone else pay higher premiums.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea really though, people like that **** it for all of us.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:19 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Big argument (vtecmonster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecmonster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Insurance fraud is great Tell your friend thank you for making everyone else pay higher premiums. </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. If you can't afford it, you don't deserve it.

In other words....quit cheating the system that comes back to bite everyone in the rear
Old 09-15-2003, 12:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Big argument (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">insurance covers what they hear, and if they dont hear that engine swap, they wont cover it

he got the money for his car back and some people hooked him up with fake receipts of car parts so he got EXTRA money to go
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes that "extra" bullshit is nothing more than THEFT. Bascially your friend's car got "stolen" which is the first crock of ****, then he goes on further to get more fradulent claimage with fake reciepts? That's ******* lame as hell. If you think you'll get an overwhelming bit of support here for that, then you're wrong.

Also Karma is a bitch bro. Your friend will get what's coming to him, and if you dabble in the same type of **** you'll get yours too - you can count on that.

As far as insurance and swaps go, they cannot force you to pay a higher premium just because of the swap, but they might not cover it either in the event of theft or an accident.

I told State Farm about my swap and even asked for extra coverage, but they said I'd need a professional apprasal before they could issue an insurable amount - problem is who is a "professional" aprraiser for Hondas? That's right, nobody is.

Hell I can't even get them to jack my rates up!
Old 09-15-2003, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big argument (Emerika)

My insurance company asked if I had done any mods to the suspension when I was buying my civic. I said yes and they said that they couldn't insure it. So I had to get a new insurance company when I bought my hatch.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL...damn State Farm they just refuse to spend any more money than they need to...What about the DMV? If we swap a motor in does the DMV have to know? Cause I don't want to get pulled over and have my hood popped only to get screwed for having a "stolen" motor that actaully belonged to my old car...
Old 09-15-2003, 12:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (THEINTEGRATION)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THEINTEGRATION &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL...damn State Farm they just refuse to spend any more money than they need to...What about the DMV? If we swap a motor in does the DMV have to know? Cause I don't want to get pulled over and have my hood popped only to get screwed for having a "stolen" motor that actaully belonged to my old car...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have some sort of proof like the title to your salvaged car that matches the VIN on the engine then there's no way you can be proven to have a "stolen" engine at all.

I have the title from the totalled ITR I purchased years ago, and if anyone ever asks me where my swap came from I can show them the title - very simple.

I don't know how it is in other states, but in GA there is little to no hassles whatsoever about engine swaps. Hell my emissions papars say "1.8L" on them now.

I know CALI is very strict about swaps, but your state might be very lax or very strict depending on where you live.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:36 PM
HAnda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big argument (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you think you'll get an overwhelming bit of support here for that, then you're wrong.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW tom, you must be pretty pissed off, and yes i did get one "bit" of a support just a "bit" of it, by Ilovephoking. he gave me a

and does it seem like i was looking for any support? NO

it was just a statement and facts of what my friend did
Old 09-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (THEINTEGRATION)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THEINTEGRATION &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL...damn State Farm they just refuse to spend any more money than they need to...What about the DMV? If we swap a motor in does the DMV have to know? Cause I don't want to get pulled over and have my hood popped only to get screwed for having a "stolen" motor that actaully belonged to my old car...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see that you're located in Cali. If you've swapped your motor, you're supposed to contact the state referree and set up an appt to have the motor visually inspected, as well as smogged, to receive your BAR info/sticker. If you get pulled over, and there's a different motor swapped in, you'll most likely get a ref ticket, which means you have to go to the referree anyway, or pay the fine and chance it. Most people I know aren't legit, meaning they've never tried registering their motors, because they're either heavily modified, or the motor is older than the chasis.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rodrez)

well actually now the emissions laws are a litle more tuff here in metro ga. my friend works for a oil changing place and they do emissions there and they did my emissions when i had my type r swap. he popped the hood and said " man if you were anyone else i couldnt do it" i said why and he said that there is a new ga law called "HOTRODDING" and basially it sayd that they can not smog cars if they have swapped a motor from a different type of car other than the stock one. meaning unless i swapped another 1.5 liter cx motor its illegal to smog it. i was like for real and he showed me the documentation because they recently just became certified to do emissions and he was like "dont tell anyone we did this here" becasue they dont want to lose their licesne to do emissions. so i keep my mouth shut unless its for me
Old 09-15-2003, 01:28 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

he got the money for his car back and some people hooked him up with fake receipts of car parts so he got EXTRA money to go with it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're a huge dipshit and I hope you and all other involved parties are caught and punished to the full extent of the law. Do you think stealing from an insurance company that covers 100's of 1000's of people is any different than jacking someone's ride? How stupid can you get. First you're frauding insurance, then you're bragging on the internet about it.

What a ****** .
Old 09-15-2003, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big argument (Archidictus)

Progressive only covers up to 1000 worth of aftermarket parts. I asked for the full amount of their extra insurance policy (5 grand over the value of the car + the 1000 they give to regular policy holders) and my policy only raised 20 dolars more a month.

If my car gets totaled or stolen I get almost 12,000 right now. I won't lose much.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Big argument (Apex i ITR)

My friend did that same **** with Progressive, had a book with reciepts pictures and all kinds of appraisals. Still got fucked by the insurance company.... watch out for "depreciation of your aftermarket parts"..... according to them they slide quicker than the value of a Ford.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:07 PM
HAnda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big argument (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're a huge dipshit and I hope you and all other involved parties are caught and punished to the full extent of the law. Do you think stealing from an insurance company that covers 100's of 1000's of people is any different than jacking someone's ride? How stupid can you get. First you're frauding insurance, then you're bragging on the internet about it.

What a ****** .</TD></TR></TABLE>
Where in my post did i say i was supporting or taking part in any of this. He simply informed me after the incident. Most of you who have friends arent gonna be a bitch and snitch on them, why am I any diffrent? And am i bragging? hell no. And its only the internet....
Old 09-15-2003, 02:29 PM

lol. look what this little innocent kid started!!!! hahahaha
Old 09-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Big argument (DubbleD)

question has been answered. let the thread die.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:43 PM

Back to the topic on hand my insurance company asked how much my mods were worth and insured my car for that extra amount of money. I have progressive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big argument