Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is it better to STRUT or SWAY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it better to STRUT or SWAY?

I am working on my performance upgrades. I know from past experiences that the things that are more expensive are usually better. But, I wanted to know what are the differences between Strut bars and Sway bars. Strut bars are cheaper, but when I look at the item specs, they do the exact same thing. I already have upper f&r strut bars, and was wondering if I should get lower f&r strut bars. Or if I should spend more money and get sway bars. Lemme know whatb you think.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it better to STRUT or SWAY? (haitian1)

no they do not do the same thing.

the sway bar goes under the car and connects both sides of the suspension together, stabilizing the car

strut bars just prevent the frame from flexing in the corner
Old 02-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it better to STRUT or SWAY? (Heylookits shawn)

sway bars
Old 02-12-2006, 08:45 PM
RTI

Default Re: Is it better to STRUT or SWAY? (tuck'd98)

An ITR rear sway bar will do more for your handling than f/r upper and lower strut bars. I don't think you will see the benefits of any strut bars unless you have stiff springs and race your car (not drag racing).
Old 02-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it better to STRUT or SWAY? (RTI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An ITR rear sway bar will do more for your handling than f/r upper and lower strut bars. I don't think you will see the benefits of any strut bars unless you have stiff springs and race your car (not drag racing).</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf
Old 02-12-2006, 08:52 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is it better to STRUT or SWAY? (tuck'd98)

No, i put a tower bar on my 96 sedan, and yes, i noticed in the corners. i also noticed my no name tie braces on the bumps a bit. but i then got a used 99-00 Si stock sway bar, and that made the car corner so much nicer, it feels now like it pivots closer to the center of the car.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Is it better to STRUT or SWAY? (RTI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An ITR rear sway bar will do more for your handling than f/r upper and lower strut bars. I don't think you will see the benefits of any strut bars unless you have stiff springs and race your car (not drag racing).</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, but don't forget the subframe reinforcement with 19mm or higher rear sway bar. a rear sway bar is a huge handling upgrade. Even when your car has a stock 13mm rear sway bar and you go to a 22mm...its a huge upgrade, so no sway bar to 22mm would be like night and day.

Strut bars/braces connect the top of the shock towers (upper strut bars) reducing chassis flex. Lower tie-bars do the same, but on the bottom of the chassis. any strut bar/tie bar won't do crap compared to rear sway bar, so if you considering the two...you definately want rear sway bar. The larger the rear sway...the more tail out attitude the car will have, but even a 13mm will help if you don't have any

SI = 13mm
GSR = 14mm
Del Sol = 15mm
RSX-S = 19mm
US ITR/JDM CTR = 22mm
JDM ITR = 23mm

you'd have more responses and help in the suspension forum too by the way
Old 02-15-2006, 09:08 AM

Sway bar it is. thanx people.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:18 AM
cute little bastard

Isn't it a bad idea to have sway bars with stock suspension? I thought I heard or read that somewhere
Old 02-15-2006, 09:31 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

People often confuse "strut bars" and "sway bars" likely because both terms include the word "bar," and are both marketed to improve handling. While they are both "bars," they are actually serve completely different functions.

A "strut bar," or what I like to call a strut tower brace, is just that - it is a brace between the strut/shock towers on either side of the car to reduce chassis flex. It is part of the chassis, so it plays a passive role in the handling of the car. These pieces are highly debated; I personally am of the belief that they are not worth the money and provide little or no value - there are more important things to spend money on.

A "sway bar," or anti-roll bar, is actually a spring - it is an active part of the suspension. A sway bar increases roll stiffness, which results in less body roll during cornering and therefore, better handling.

You made the right decision in choosing sway bars first.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:44 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Is it better to STRUT or SWAY? (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't it a bad idea to have sway bars with stock suspension? I thought I heard or read that somewhere</TD></TR></TABLE>
The problem is mostly with the '96-00 Civic due to the poor design of its rear subframe - Honda located the sway bar mounting holes outboard of the LCA attachment point, where it is closer to the edge of the metal and more flimsy. A large sway bar can exert enough force on its subframe mounting point (especially when coupled with soft coil springs, like stock ones) that the subframe metal will actually tear out. A-Spec Racing makes a subframe reinforcement plate and hardware to beef up the swaybar mounting points in order to avoid this problem.

'92-95 Civics and '94-01 Integras have the sway bar mounting holes located inboard of the LCA attachment point on the subframe, so they are a little more sturdy - however I still recommend using a subframe reinforcement kit (such as the ASR piece) when using an ITR sway bar or larger.

Keep in mind that the ITR doesn't have these problems because its subframe is different and is much more sturdy.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:13 AM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

Default Re: Is it better to STRUT or SWAY? (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The problem is mostly with the '96-00 Civic due to the poor design of its rear subframe - Honda located the sway bar mounting holes outboard of the LCA attachment point, where it is closer to the edge of the metal and more flimsy. A large sway bar can exert enough force on its subframe mounting point (especially when coupled with soft coil springs, like stock ones) that the subframe metal will actually tear out. A-Spec Racing makes a subframe reinforcement plate and hardware to beef up the swaybar mounting points in order to avoid this problem.

'92-95 Civics and '94-01 Integras have the sway bar mounting holes located inboard of the LCA attachment point on the subframe, so they are a little more sturdy - however I still recommend using a subframe reinforcement kit (such as the ASR piece) when using an ITR sway bar or larger.

Keep in mind that the ITR doesn't have these problems because its subframe is different and is much more sturdy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right, which is why ASR is the way to go with Ek's. I have this brace, and it is better than beaks kit. Plus the ASR will make it so that the sway bar and endlinks are in a better geometry
Old 02-16-2006, 04:35 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is it better to STRUT or SWAY? (Targa250R)

Very good info to add from Targa250R.

Listen to this man, when it comes to brakes and suspension, he has never been wrong, the man is a master.

If you would like a reccomendation from me.....

First, get a rear sway, the 99 Si one does make a difference, and can be had for like 70$ shipped with endlinks and bushings (bolt on). Then, get a solid piece tower bar, even the used 99-00 Si bar is good. These are two facory upgrades Honda added....cause it was the most effective for the cost, and is so on any EK.

Before all these, for a suspension upgrade, rims and tires....thats the most cost effecive upgrade, nothing affects handling and braking more than good tires will.