Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which is a better set up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is a better set up?

i need a new intake manifold for my d16y8 and i was wondering which would be a better set up, stock y8 mainfold and throttle body or skunk2 manifold with blox throttle or blox throttle with blox manifold? money is not really a issue right now i jus want more power out of the d16. thanks h-t and how hard would it be to change out the throttle body and intake manifold?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Which is a better set up?

Originally Posted by FRKWOO
i need a new intake manifold for my d16y8 and i was wondering which would be a better set up, stock y8 mainfold and throttle body or skunk2 manifold with blox throttle or blox throttle with blox manifold? money is not really a issue right now i jus want more power out of the d16. thanks h-t and how hard would it be to change out the throttle body and intake manifold?
Honestly, Just save that money for a swap or boost. I know thats not the answer you are looking for but it will honestly be a waste.

I am running the SKUNK2 on my b18c with stock TB but I will be swapping it out soon for probably the Blox. Much cheaper. If I wasn't in cali with lame *** smog laws I would have run Blox IM with Blox TB.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=R666_EK;38749734]Honestly, Just save that money for a swap or boost. I know thats not the answer you are looking for but it will honestly be a waste.
[QUOTE]

x1
Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R666_EK
Honestly, Just save that money for a swap or boost. I know thats not the answer you are looking for but it will honestly be a waste.

I am running the SKUNK2 on my b18c with stock TB but I will be swapping it out soon for probably the Blox. Much cheaper. If I wasn't in cali with lame *** smog laws I would have run Blox IM with Blox TB.
x2
Old 06-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

money is not really a issue right now i jus want more power out of the d16.
k-series or boost!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no k series. K series is a waste IMO. you can get plenty of power out of D or B series for less money. (D for 400> WHP)

@OP: if your not looking for boost or u might go boost in the future go SK2 im, it will make more power under boost. And get yourself a Bisimoto or hondata heat-shielding intake manifold gasket. Its dyno proven to add around 7-10WHP.
I cant say how well the BLOX stuff works because ive never used any of it and neither have any of my friends setups. I have seen SK2 manifolds and TB's and they work great.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have seen ppl with the Blox Intakes, they do really well.. They are just really thin and everything. The Skunk2's are good but you get about the same result as a blox with it.. they are around $100 more too.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't think you'll get anything out of aftermarket throttle body / IM on a d-series unless you're running a cam and upgraded valvetrain.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why not instead of buying an aftermarket IM and TB you just buy the stock ones and get them Ported?? It would be cheaper and you could save money for a swap..
Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iamthefollower
why not instead of buying an aftermarket IM and TB you just buy the stock ones and get them Ported?? It would be cheaper and you could save money for a swap..
he could get the stock ones ported. But a swap isnt cost effective. Unelss your trying to make All-motor power there is NO REASON TO DO A SWAP. You can build the motor that is in your car and turbo it for the price of a swap. Thats a way better HP/$ Ratio than any swap out there.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i might boost in furture but right now too lazy to work for a swap jus tryna enjoy summer this year and work less im just 18yrs old haha currently i have a d16y8 with d16y7 tranny and d16y7 intake manifold the y7 manifold is supper small and when i drive feels like my intake is working supper hard to take in air. so i just want a bigger intake mainfold for that reason. i already kinda put alot into my d already before i knew it, so i dont really mind putting a little more on it... SAVE THE SOHC!!! haha
Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was wondering if there was a skunk2 tb?

so my choices which would be the best for more power...

1) oem y8 tb w/ y8 im
2) skunk2 tb w/ skunk2 im (if there is a skunk2 im?)
3) skunk2 tb w/ blox im
4 blox tb w/ blox im
5) skunk2 tb w/ y8 im
6) blox tb w/ y8 im

interesting what i read up top about the hondata gasket....really thinking about getting it.....

i also have another question i have a chipped p28 ecu by phearable.net and was wondering if a new manifold would do anything to the rpm and would everything run fine if i change to a new im?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly I dont see the stock IM/TB as a limiting factor for you yet.

If anything grab a ZEX cam and valvetrain.....if you stay NA or go turbo it will benefit you either way and people are ALWAYS looking for that cam/head combo...well Z6 head/Zex cam but you know what I mean

For SOHC a small T3 super 60 turbo setup (12psi) with cheap tune will net you 210-225whp and put you into the high 12's with traction

Dont know how fast you wanna go but even a low budget build will net some nice times...

Obviously a vitara build will net you 400+whp and 11's but some folks dont get that crazy...but just remember D trannys need a good LSD...once you make big power the stock baby diffs will break (cheap at the junk yard) but the hassle of breaking down will pOwN jOO if it happens a few times lol...one call to Gearspeed will fix that though...bring $$$
Old 06-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ which setup should i go with for now 1,2,3,4,5,6?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ which setup should i go with for now 1,2,3,4,5,6?
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0102...cam/index.html

option 7 kicks the crap out of all of the above

From the link

""After the cam was installed and broken in, the car was strapped back to the dyno to finish our drop-in testing. Although the cam was fitted with a sprocket, testing of the cam was done with the sprocket at zero. This was to ensure that the cam made power by itself. The ZEX cam provided excellent power throughout the power band with a peak of 7 hp and 2 lb-ft of torque.

This was power, but what we found most valuable was the gain in the mid-range where we discovered as much as 11 hp and 9 lb-ft of torque. The cam makes good effective power for the after shift.

The ZEX camshaft was the most effective SOHC cam we have tested and made for a quick install. The power output from the cam is well worth its dollar figure and, with the addition of a sprocket, there is always room for additional powerband tweaking. The greatest part about the unit is that there is no core deposit, so you always have the option to go back to the stock cam. Then again, once you've had ZEX, you'll never look at the stock camshaft in the same way! Be sure to practice safe ZEX.""

And thats on a basically STOCK head...TO THE GROUND

The Y8 mani is actually a good mani...until your making more power I really DO NOT see it as a bottleneck....if you wanna add some underhood bling with the mani be my guest...Im just trying to help you go faster NA or turbo...the Zex cam is the one you want
Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 AM

There are superior cams out there....:wink: