Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   better gas mileage out of an eg (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/better-gas-mileage-out-eg-2584096/)

thi3v3z 06-08-2009 09:55 AM

Re: better gas mileage out of an eg

no, the faster you accelerate, the more fuel gets dumped into the engine, but all that fuel cant be burned, so it goes out your exhaust. ever notice someone in a pile of shit mash on the gas and a big cloud of black smoke comes out? thats excess fuel. Accelerating slowly allows the correct amount of fuel to be injected with minimal waste.

HXor 06-08-2009 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by dippy (Post 38827475)
with driving techniques being the biggest factor wouldnt getting up to speed at a decent rate be smarter than going slowly?

Define "decent rate" ?
IF you can accelerate intelligently - 40-60 % of engine power is plenty...up to 2000-2200 rpm. Use the gearing of your transaxle to your advantage and even low rpm becomes "decent rate"

dippy 06-08-2009 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by HXor (Post 38827615)
Define "decent rate" ?
IF you can accelerate intelligently - 40-60 % of engine power is plenty...up to 2000-2200 rpm. Use the gearing of your transaxle to your advantage and even low rpm becomes "decent rate"

well i dont mean puttin the foot to the floor but definately not crawl like a tortise but more along the lines of 2200-3000rpm

pumafeet10 06-08-2009 12:04 PM

for those of us that have a scangauge the best place is about 80% lod, which where there engine is at its most effcient.

So the best way to do it is accelerate briskly, don't hammer it but do not go as slow as you can.

shift at about 2k and keep your speed low, that is one of the best things you can do to improve mileage!

HXor 06-08-2009 12:08 PM

Accelerate within reason. You need to decide *how much* improvement is acceptable and prudent for your drive. Hypermiling a congested freeway like very metro areas require different technique(modified for driver safety) I have hypermiled the Twin Cities...but I'm positive LA Chicago Boston NYC would be quite different. I stay below 2500 rpm (2k ideally) and 55 mph max. As always ymmv

dippy 06-08-2009 11:00 PM

ya... i dont think that be a smart idea when i live around sf lol

HXor 06-09-2009 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by dippy (Post 38836952)
ya... i dont think that be a smart idea when i live around sf lol

It can be done! I just can't give you the correct advice to hypermile in a metro area. CleanMPG.com and GasSavers.org have members that can give you the right line of advice though. The techniques are the same - just modified for the commute involved.
Seek out alternative routes off the freeways as they can yield a good bump in fuel economy due to lower speeds and less congestion; but they may be a bit longer drive distance.

shawn_crx 06-09-2009 07:22 AM

#1 gas saving is take out your AC... your 1.5 gas mileage is going to eat you up on AC

dippy 06-09-2009 08:15 AM

other thought was shutting the engine off if your idling for more than a minute which in most cases is at a stop light is that even worth it?

Former User 06-09-2009 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by dippy (Post 38839812)
other thought was shutting the engine off if your idling for more than a minute which in most cases is at a stop light is that even worth it?

Can you give more information. What is your current highway/city mileage? What steps have you already taken to improve mileage (e.g., tune up , driving habits, etc.)?

shifty35 06-09-2009 09:04 AM

I know in the Insight, if I let it idle at lights, I'll drop several mpg for the trip. Definitely worth shutting it down if you are going to be at the light for more than 5 seconds or so. You'd need to keep the electrical load pretty low if you plan on doing this regularly.

Max speed of 55 is pretty crucial, wind resistance goes up fast in a hurry past that. I've found acceleration technique to be less important than cruising technique, *provided* that you aren't taking the rpms too high or using too much throttle. It's what you do at speed that matters, and what speed you choose.

Here's an inspiration tank from last summer... yes, one tankful!

http://home.comcast.net/%7Eshifty35/...nsight1000.jpg

roycivic92 06-09-2009 09:12 AM

cut some holes on ur rear bumper so the air escapes and the bumper doesnt trap air .lol

HXor 06-09-2009 09:15 AM

:) ... very Inspiring! That's HighWater mpg!

Oct'06 Highwater tank 2254.4 miles on 13.7 gallons...164+ mpg in an Insight!

dippy 06-09-2009 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT (Post 38840081)
Can you give more information. What is your current highway/city mileage? What steps have you already taken to improve mileage (e.g., tune up , driving habits, etc.)?

gettin around 33-35mpg ive literally yanked everything possible out and yes this includes part of the door panels only thing i havent changed are the seats for some lighter seats but thats being worked on. i am now using 5w30 full synthetic oil, k&n air filter. i dont go past 75mph on freeway ever most of the time im sitting pretty around 65-70. i tend to coast a lot between lights so i get enough speed to be movin then i just let go of the gas and coast to a stop at the next light.

ultimate goal is to get better gas mileage than my friend who owns a prius and i wanna throw it in his face lol

Former User 06-09-2009 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by dippy (Post 38840930)
gettin around 33-35mpg ive literally yanked everything possible out and yes this includes part of the door panels only thing i havent changed are the seats for some lighter seats but thats being worked on. i am now using 5w30 full synthetic oil, k&n air filter. i dont go past 75mph on freeway ever most of the time im sitting pretty around 65-70. i tend to coast a lot between lights so i get enough speed to be movin then i just let go of the gas and coast to a stop at the next light.

ultimate goal is to get better gas mileage than my friend who owns a prius and i wanna throw it in his face lol

Good goal. The mileage is okay but I agree that you can probably do a little better. How many miles on the engine? When were the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor last replaced? Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing gun?

shifty35 06-09-2009 10:09 AM

Beating a Prius in the city is going to be some hard work. You'd basically have to do what you are doing, but kill the engine every time you aren't accelerating, which is a pseudo-pulse-and-glide. It works well for coming up to stop lights and such, where you'll want the engine off anyway. You can always bump start it back up if you are still rolling.

Your speed on the highway is killing you, I know traffic might not permit you to go much slower. I'd guess you could easily see 45-50 mpg at 50-55 mph.

Note that turning your engine off while driving is dangerous...

HXor 06-09-2009 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT (Post 38841029)
Good goal. The mileage is okay but I agree that you can probably do a little better. How many miles on the engine? When were the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor last replaced? Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing gun?

Again? have you done a proper tune up? if not, do so.

What is your tire pressure? are you at max sidewall or above? if not, do so.

Do you use the AC? if so ...don't.

5-30 Syn oil is a good start - if you're serious about max mpg 0-20 will yield an added % or two.

SlowDown...

do you use the cruise control? Don't 99.9% of the time it will accelerate too aggressively and use too much throttle to hold a given speed. Use your foot and your head. Drive without load uphill and throttle back just at the crest.

dippy 06-09-2009 10:55 PM

engines got 190k on it been havent gotten it timed yet or nothin still tryin to decide wat kinda spark plugs to use so those havent been changed rotor hasnt been changed yet either and im lookin for new wires just debating on what to get.

only reason i go so fast on freeway is cuz of the area really waaay too many asian drivers who cant drive and drive way too fast and recklessly i rather stay at their speed than get hit by them

ive yanked out the ac so thats not too big of a problem anymore lol been thinkin about yankin out the powersteering too i just got new tires and i disabled my cruise control didnt really see a point with it

HXor 06-10-2009 06:10 AM

use the OEM recommended plugs, OEM Honda wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter. Time it to spec. You really don't *need or want* race spec stuff to drive for fuel economy.

Once upon a time the story was there was too many people to drive sanely...then Latinos ,then women , then ... now you're saying Asians - sounds like BS to me! It's all an excuse for the choices people make. You've been given good advice/ideas- make use of them. You makes your choices/pays your nickels. GL!

uberEFtuner 06-10-2009 08:29 AM

Also for better mileage don't downshift. It just burns up more fuel.

Also I got a 2-3mpg increase with my EF using greased lightning WITH PTFE. It seems PTFE is bad for the environment and its hard to find the good stuff.

theBUCKET 06-10-2009 09:30 AM

Wax it!!! lol.

pumafeet10 06-10-2009 09:33 AM

you really need to slow down!

One trip i made and slowed down to 50 from 55 and gained about 3 mpg, so you going 65-70 is killing your mileage.

Only buy the oem parts, they work well and usually pretty cheap.

Make sure you have your tires at sidewall max or higher, and if you don't believe us go to cleanmpg.com, gassavers.org, ecomodder.com and they will tell you everything and more to get better mileage.

Heck I get about mid 60's right now and I'm not even at the top of the list for getting good mileage, so there are little things to do to hone your driving skills

Since the biggest nut to mess with is the one behind the wheel!

dippy 06-10-2009 10:36 AM

oh i am now wondering because around here the speed limit on the freeways are 65mph thats why i drive at 65mph

would suspension make a difference on mileage too?

RyGuy588 06-10-2009 10:38 AM

I agree with everyone. The way you drive determines most of it. However, I did gain around 3 mpg when I filled up my under inflated tires. And that was free. The general tune up helps but only if you need it.

dippy 06-10-2009 10:02 PM

i wish i can inflate my tires for free around here man every gas station within 40miles of here charges you 75 cents...