Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Best way to quickly prep stripped engine bay for paint? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/best-way-quickly-prep-stripped-engine-bay-paint-997749/)

SuicideSlide 09-20-2004 08:50 PM

Best way to quickly prep stripped engine bay for paint?

Whats chemical or chemicals can I use to help the prep process. Ive pulled everything out or moved everything needed to be moved. Theres just alot of dust and grime which needs to be removed. Bad thing is its kinda stuck in a corner at the shop so bringing in a hose is a bad idea. Would degreaser and aircraft stripper be fine for removing the engine bay of most of its grease and grime. I mean a few buckets of water dumped into it probably wount be that bad, but is it nessecary?

Luserkid 09-20-2004 08:55 PM

Re: Best way to quickly prep stripped engine bay for paint? (Tur*bLu)

I would just use Degreaser and simple green. That should get all the junk out.

94HatchbackSI 09-20-2004 10:23 PM

CLR yo, that and some water to make sure you get it all the CLR off. It's strong but it works.

Don't be dumb and let the CLR sit there too long either let it stand about a minute and a half and wash it off good.

SuicideSlide 09-21-2004 05:41 AM

Re: Best way to quickly prep stripped engine bay for paint? (94HatchbackSI)

CLR? what is this?

stackz 09-21-2004 06:50 AM

go to the auto paint supply store in your area and ask for a gallon can of wax and grease remover and get some 300grit sandpaper.

I'd first go over everywhere (while dirty) with the sandpaper...and then go over everything with the wax and grease remover. Just soak/wring out a paper towel with the remover and start wiping. replace the paper towels as needed until everything is clean.

Now, your surface will be etched for paint and prepped/cleaned all together.

SuicideSlide 09-21-2004 06:42 PM

Re: Best way to quickly prep stripped engine bay for paint? (stackz)

bump for more ideas.

green- 09-21-2004 06:47 PM

Isn't CLR bathroom cleaner? LOL

-Gambit- 09-21-2004 06:57 PM

Re: Best way to quickly prep stripped engine bay for paint? (green00EX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by green00EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't CLR bathroom cleaner? LOL </TD></TR></TABLE>

i believe so http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif

crzyfool24 09-21-2004 10:46 PM

Hey D, When your ready to clean up your engine bay hit me up if you want the extra help!

kingSfit 09-21-2004 11:42 PM

dont use paint stripper unless you want to strip the paint from your valve cover and if you dont make sure to cover up the electrial stuff or yea....

Hybrid96EK 09-22-2004 12:22 AM

Re: (Bunz)

I used aircraft stripper on mine. I removed EVERYTHING from the engine bay though. All the wiring, all the AC lines, every brake line, the booster, clutch assembly, everything. Paint on the aircraft stripper in fairly thick coats and then walk away for like 45 mins. Use steel wool and running water to remove the paint. Should take it right down to the metal. Prime it and then paint it.

Did mine with a rattle can using duplicolor and it turned out looking OEM quality. Just shoot some clear coat over it when done and you are in business.

94HatchbackSI 09-22-2004 12:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tur*bLu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CLR? what is this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, it's bathroom cleaner. Yeah, it's ghetto but that will eat through anything that's not stronger than rubber, that does include paint and any kind of clear coat. But the aircraft stripper is a good idea but it might be hard to come by.

BLUE EH3 03-06-2005 11:18 PM

Re: Best way to quickly prep stripped engine bay for paint? (94HatchbackSI)

WHAT #GRIT should i use to sand down the clearcoat on my EK???i got 320 and 800 today from walmart