Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best things to get in a Civic Ex?.........again

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best things to get in a Civic Ex?.........again

Just thought I would ask you guys these questions on what to look for when buying a Civic Ex.

1. What is the best year to get? (every one says the 6th generation civics are the best, I dont know why so if you do then please share your wisdom oh wise ones)

2. How many miles should you look for on a Civic?

3. What is a good average price to spend on a Civic?

4. Best color/condition when you intend to get the car repainted?

5. And anything else you guys can think of
Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best things to get in a Civic Ex?.........again (shutuprichard551)

I'd say get a 6th gen (96-00). They have huge aftermarket support. fairly priced parts. and i have 92-95 coupes with a passion.

And if your going to repaint it and don't want to go through the hassle of painting the bay and stuff buy a black car. Makes it simple

As for mileage, well it really depends on how well the car is treated. ive driven civics with over 200k on them that run fine. While ive seen some that have less then 90k and are about to give. To me mileage isn't a huge determining factor if the overall shape of the car is good. Civic motors are fairly cheap, even dual cam integra motors don't cost too much.

And as for average price, anything between 7-8k for a great condition one. And i do mean great, as in no tears/rust/peeling/sun fade. And anything below 5k for decent used ones. I bought mine for 3k which wasnt bad but it had a branded title. Car was clean nonetheless.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:35 PM

step one is be patient!
my previous car was a huge headace because at the time i was carless for 2 monthes so i just jumped on the first car avaiable it turned out to be a money pit. i sold it and have been patiently waiting for a nice clean low mile honda. and thats what i found a 1 owner 2000 50k mile civic so dont rush it and look for the right car
g/l
Old 10-15-2008, 08:45 PM

Default Re: (SupaMario)

make sure the civic is stock [engine wise] you dont know what people try to do out there...

salvages arent bad but make sure you take the car to a local mechanic and have him inspect it... the seller should agree if he has nothing to hide. if he doesnt agree then you got a problem.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/used.htm

tells you what you should look for and how to haggle the price
Old 10-15-2008, 09:15 PM

I bought mines for 3400 and it had 142,000 miles on it and it has been working perfectly fine with me so far lol. And do listen to the rest of these guys patience is a good thing. It took me atleast a year to get the Civic I always wanted lol.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

93-95 EJ1's are the best looking EX's ever made IMO an they dont feel so cheap they actually have glass headlights that dont fog up like the plastic ones on the 96-00 civics just my .02 cents tho
Old 10-15-2008, 11:23 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shutuprichard551 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just thought I would ask you guys these questions on what to look for when buying a Civic Ex.

1. What is the best year to get? (every one says the 6th generation civics are the best, I dont know why so if you do then please share your wisdom oh wise ones)

5. And anything else you guys can think of</TD></TR></TABLE>

I prefer the '96-'98s, but the '98 in particular. The '98+ (EX/Si) got the map light.

Are you looking for a coupe or sedan? The EX comes as both. The EX is fully loaded and is mostly the same through the generation, so it's going to come down to what year you find.

Look at the 5th gen ('92-'95) and the 6th gen ('96-'00) and find out which you prefer looks-wise the most. The engines are very similar (D16Z6 versus D16Y8), as are the options. I'm not a fan of 5th gen interiors and a lot of them are beat up by now. A lot of 6th gens are beat up too, but they're newer so they're that much less likely to be beat up.

To be honest, most 5th gens feel cheap to me. Many people consider the 6th gen to be the most attractive body Civic ever. It is known to be very popular.

My fog lights don't fog up on my 6th gen EX coupe btw.

Overseas most 5th gen headlights were plastic too.

I wouldn't worry too much with mileage as long as the car is/was taken care of. I'd probably aim for less than 180,000 though.

Mine has almost 155,000 miles on it and it looks great and drives great.

Salvage titles can possibly mean it will be easier to total your car out since it's "worth less" to the insurance company. I've heard some states might be able to register them as clean titles, but they're technically not clean titles.

Price really varies throughout the country. Back east they seem more expensive since where I'm from they're not as popular as they are here. Here in WA they're freaking everywhere.

The best color if you plan to repaint is the color closest to the color you wish to repaint the car. Or as the other person mentioned, get a black one so a black engine bay might look a little less gaudy if you don't repaint that part.

What are you planning to do with the car? This might help us better answer your questions.

Also, if you test drive one, listen to the transmission. D-series transmissions are known to have grinding issues and bad input shaft bearings.

Autos in Hondas are also known to be problematic (CVT transmissions - like the one in the HX - are commonly said to be worse).
Old 10-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best things to get in a Civic Ex?.........again (NOFX)

dont buy anything modified i was a hypocrit and paid for it. My car was so hacked when i got it. Patience for the one that you like.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best things to get in a Civic Ex?.........again (tunerkid7)

You'll be driving it, not us.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

96-00 are the best looking in stock form in my opinion, if you are looking for low mileage you are going to have a hard time finding a 92-95. Plus 2001+ aren't as sporty.

You didn't list a price range, I would go with as low as you can afford.

4-5k for ok and 7-8k for excellent

Why spend 5k on a car just to spend another 5k to get it painted? Why not by one with a color you want? If you want a cool color try and get an Si in Electron Blue.

5. And anything else you guys can think of

Compression and leakdown test on any civic around 100,000 miles or more. The owner should agree to this if there is nothing wrong with the car. Also make sure the owner has alot of the maintenance records.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or look around for deals man.. I got a 00 ex with 153k for 2900 but it burns oil. it had a CEL but I solved that so keep your eyes peeled, deals are out there.

make sure to drive it/test everything, check fluids ask about maintenance, etc etc..
Old 10-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2 be honest id get a civic with less than 150,000 miles since Honda extended the emissions warranty on them and if any sensor F's up they fix for free . Also if the previous person was not aware of the warrant then your still covered for a free tune up, believe me i went thru it.

Also my **** was salvaged due to theft...... no problems so far...got it with 140,000 and paid $2000 for it. got a free ecu, o2 sensor and tune up from honda. And when i say tune up it includes the Spark plug wires, cap ,rotor, oil and plugs. Thats what there bulletin states.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what? how can you talk a dealership into an extensive tuneup for free after 150k?
Old 10-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It really depends on what you want to do with it. If you intend to do an engine swap and maybe some suspension work then mileage doesn't mean much IMO, find the cleanest straightest looking one you can. If you're looking for something you don't have to put money in then look for something well maintained, mileage still doesn't mean much IMO, you can kill an engine/transmission pretty quick if you abuse it, and if you look after something it will tend to last a long time, there are exceptions to this of course, i've also found that a vehicle that has been sitting for a while seems to be a lemon after, just my 2 cents.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:54 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Best things to get in a Civic Ex?.........again (mortificationrock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2 be honest id get a civic with less than 150,000 miles since Honda extended the emissions warranty on them and if any sensor F's up they fix for free . Also if the previous person was not aware of the warrant then your still covered for a free tune up, believe me i went thru it.

Also my **** was salvaged due to theft...... no problems so far...got it with 140,000 and paid $2000 for it. got a free ecu, o2 sensor and tune up from honda. And when i say tune up it includes the Spark plug wires, cap ,rotor, oil and plugs. Thats what there bulletin states.</TD></TR></TABLE>
My understanding is that offer is no longer available. It's expired.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:50 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I prefer the '96-'98s, but the '98 in particular...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Interesting! And, I gotta agree!

I drove a '00 CiViC Coupe for 7 years and loved it to death... literally! A drunk driver hit me doing 85 mph (cops estimated).

When I bought a '98 CiViC Coupe, I kinda felt sick to my stomach.

Initial impression was, I was downgrading - in particular I hated the '98 Climate Control Panel, however...

Lasting impression is, I actually like my '98 better than the '00. LoL! I even prefer the temp controls, now that I'm used to them!

Anyway, 6Gen coupe is the way to go, IMHO...
Old 10-16-2008, 05:20 PM

I will make a log on the project car as soon as I get it.

fyi I might be buying a 97 black EX coupe with 145,000 miles on it for $3,000
What you think?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was talking about the headlights on the 96-00 become oxidized not the fog lights sorry if my wording was confusing . And my interior is still perfect
Old 10-16-2008, 07:22 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Best things to get in a Civic Ex?.........again (jimmy o.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jimmy o. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was talking about the headlights on the 96-00 become oxidized not the fog lights sorry if my wording was confusing . And my interior is still perfect </TD></TR></TABLE>
Crap. Typo on my part there. I meant my headlights don't fog up.

I have no leaks in my lights. Most plastic lights (from any car) will eventually discolor and need to be buffed. Even brand new headlights. Even brand new JDM EG headlights.

There are definitely nice 5th gens out there, they're just far and few.

This one was on eBay recently. I don't know what it sold for, but I imagine it wasn't cheap.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Love my 95 EX and 92 DX.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yep mine is a loaded out EX 5 speed i got for 1200 and EK's are still expensive here. Hey i got that same lip on my dx as that red one
Old 10-17-2008, 01:57 PM
H-T White Ops

Default FV-QR

That's a stock lip on the red one I posted. I just took it as an excuse to post photos of that car though.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ8_Enthusiast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8_Enthusiast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what? how can you talk a dealership into an extensive tuneup for free after 150k?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2 be honest id get a civic with less than 150,000 miles,</TD></TR></TABLE>

Notice the keyword!<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My understanding is that offer is no longer available. It's expired.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not from what i know.....and also this applies to 96-00 civics. i didnt state that. Dont make me look up the TSB
Old 10-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id go with 96-00
cost ya 3,000 for a clean one (0/low rust)
mileage id say anywhere near 100k is cool

jsut be patient and look around for sumthing and it will come up
Old 10-17-2008, 02:43 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (mortificationrock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mortificationrock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not from what i know.....and also this applies to 96-00 civics. i didnt state that. Dont make me look up the TSB </TD></TR></TABLE>
Looks like it will be over in 2010-2011 for Civics (depending on which of the two years you fall under and if you have low enough mileage).

Technical Service Bulletin 98-081
March 18, 2003

Click to download PDF

Emissions Warranty Extension

Applies to;
1995 Accord V6 - ALL
1996 Models except Passport - ALL
1997 Models except Passport - ALL

"American Honda is extending the emissions warranty on all affected vehicles to 14 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. The basic terms of this extended warranty are the same as given with the original Federal and California emissions warranties."

Quick Reply: Best things to get in a Civic Ex?.........again