Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best suggestion for assessing a possible valve guide issue.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best suggestion for assessing a possible valve guide issue.

The car is a 95 EJ1 with a B16A1 in it ( car came like that ) I'm thinking the idiots that intiially swapped the car. Simply bought a motor and put it in the car as it was. Then proceeded to beat this **** out of it and sell it to my buddy who I am sadly in the process of buying off of him.

So the car runs like crap,hell,I'm not even 100% sure it's running on all four. But the large and I mean LARGE comsumption of oil while the car is running is giving me and buddy a indicator of valve guides. I know I can't run the car like this for much longer and the issue needs to be assest. What I was thinking was while I was in there mitus well do everything and upgrade the springs and valves themselves.

BUT,before I get that far is there anything I should do aside from a leak-down to be 100% sure the guides themselves are gone or going. I'm most likely going to do a compression test today when I get home and just go from there. Just wanted to make sure I have all my grounds covered.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think a leakdown will tell you much about the guides or seals. To be totally sure, you need a visual, try taking off the manifolds. Now look in at the valve stem, if it has "excessive" oil on there, chances are you will need new seals. As for guides, the only way I know how to check them requires removal of head. Not too sure how ambitious you are!?!??

If you do decide to remove your head just upgrade where your budget permits.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JustG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JustG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I dont think a leakdown will tell you much about the guides or seals. To be totally sure, you need a visual, try taking off the manifolds. Now look in at the valve stem, if it has "excessive" oil on there, chances are you will need new seals. As for guides, the only way I know how to check them requires removal of head. Not too sure how ambitious you are!?!??

If you do decide to remove your head just upgrade where your budget permits.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

JustG is right. A leakdown will not diagnose a faulty seal. Does it smoke when first starting either in the AM or after sitting for a period? When down shifting does it smoke? Does it smoke while hard on accel? All these matter. If it smokes when starting in the AM,its the oil seeping through the guides leaving a puddle on the piston. If it smokes on decel it's the vacuum pulling oil through the seals. If it smokes on accel its the oil pushing through the oil control ring on the piston. Diag. from there and decide. First step in oil consumption is replacing valve stem seals if warranted. What kind of oil consumption? Less then 1 quart in 500 miles in acceptable. Any more there is an issue. Valve stem seals can be replaced with head on the car.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:05 PM

It's pretty bad,to be honest I think it smokes on all of the above..roflmao. But mostly with decel and startup. So long story short it's time for a total rebuild .