nerd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best oil change options for 2000 Si

Okay as always i must state that i searched:

spark plugs
oil change
best spark plugs

anyway . .

i wanted to ask this in the bigger thread for upgrade options but really i would like to see a "best oil change thing"

i want to start using a good synthetic oil, and i am settled on RedLine 10w30

also, want to change out the oil filter, fuel filter, sparkplugs, and sparkplug wires, i dont need a million links because we got tons of banners

but . .

what is the best option for a 2000 Si w/ about 70 grand? i know that now i am making the switch to synthetic i will need to change my oil again in about 3 grand then 7 there after

i just want to hear what people use for plugs and such, i dont want to get flamed, just a few suggestions
Old 12-20-2004, 06:10 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Best oil change options for 2000 Si (dj_BUDDAH)

I just use Mobil Drive Clean 5w-30. No need for synthetic if you're gonna be changing the oil every 2-3k like I do.

Use stock NGK plugs and wires from the Honda dealer.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Best oil change options for 2000 Si (BauleyCivic)

I use Mobil 1 5w-30 every 2500 miles, no need to run a 10w-30 if you're not turbo or anything, a 5w will increase your gas mileage and help on cold starts
Old 12-20-2004, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Best oil change options for 2000 Si (DelSolSi93)

i use mobil1 sythetic 10w30, with ngkr plugs and oem plug wires, along with a k&n oil filter
Old 12-20-2004, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Best oil change options for 2000 Si (IspooledU)

Use as many stock parts as you can (plugs, wires, filters, etc...), Honda knew what they were doing.

Regular Castrol GTX 10w30 works great for me. That synthetic oil is way too expensive considering how often I change my oil lol...
Old 12-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best oil change options for 2000 Si (beerbongskickass)

We know what it says on the bottle, but just because you have synthetic doesn't mean you only have to change your oil every 7k! Like Bauley said, just use a quality regular oil (I also use Mobil Drive Clean 10w30) and a new Honda filter. Spark plug wise I opted for Denso Iridium's in my Si, but it really doesnt make a difference. I'm due for new ones and will be going with the NGK's again. Plug wires> stock Honda. Basically it comes down to this: Honda didn't just throw parts on your car, they used the best parts they could. Stick with what she came off the line with, they're smart people!
Old 12-20-2004, 08:47 AM
nerd

thanks guys this is great info, i hope others will find this good too
Old 12-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dj_BUDDAH)

go to autozone and get castrol syntec 0w-30 and a 15400-PCX-004 oil filter. then change oil and filter every 5000 miles. and if you use honda mtf, then you can change that every 5000 miles also.

if your cheap then i'd suggest you use chevron supreme or havoline (both oils are the same) and an ac delco/stp oil filter and change at 3000 miles. this oil is made from a group II+ basestock.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:13 AM

Default Re: (ejprimo)

In your manuel Honda does say change you oil every 7500 but that's under normal driving conditions. None of us live under normal driving conditions so just stick with what everybodies been saying 3000. If you're changing your oil every 3000 then just go with regular no need to spend that extra cash on syntheic. As far as wires and plugs go, stick with Honda.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Castrol Syntheic Works for me and plugs i use Split fire Platinum4 wires i use MSD
Old 12-20-2004, 10:19 AM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Lee_Delso)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lee_Delso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In your manual Honda does say change you oil every 7500 but that's under normal driving conditions. None of us live under normal driving conditions so just stick with what everybody been saying 3000. If you're changing your oil every 3000 then just go with regular no need to spend that extra cash on synthetic. As far as wires and plugs go, stick with Honda. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Check your owners manual again and you'll see service intervals posted for "severe" driving conditions, those are the intervals that you follow unless the bulk of your driving is highway only. Those service intervals are what most people are quoting on here at 3000 miles or 5000 km.

If you change your oil regularly you don't need to use a synthetic. I run Royal Purple 5w-30 because I also run nitrous and race it on the track so it's just a little extra cheap insurance for me and I don't mind spending the extra money. I also use a K&N oil filter because it is good quality and I like the nut the put on the bottom of the filter to help get it off if it sticks.

I run an AEM fuel filter mostly for looks but it does have some nice features. A stock Honda filter is all you really need since there really aren't any "better" ones out there. I upgraded my ignition system with MSD components so I use MSD wires and NGK iridium plugs because the MSD are superior to the stock wires and the iridium didn't cost that much but are good plugs that have a long lifespan and tolerate nitrous use. The best upgrade, cost wise if you're replacing the stock wires and plugs IMO is go with NGK wires and NGK iridium. They'll perform better than stock (you won't feel it on the butt dyno though) and the cost is very reasonable.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:48 AM
nerd

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

wow thats good info

edit*

39.99 for the oil change , almost $100 for the full change

(now if i can only get that darn sales guy to stop trying to sell me a 05 si hatch i'll be strait)

Modified by dj_BUDDAH at 2:55 PM 12/21/2004
Old 12-21-2004, 07:11 AM
* B A N N E D *

Mobil1 Synthetic is good like everyone says and you can get it at like Target. But for THE BEST oil, if you can find it, is called Amsoil. Took me a while to find it, i gotta go to some guys house to get it (hes a private distributor, dont ask what that means). Spark plugs, try sparkplugs.com and I'd reccomend NGK Iridium. They are the newest technology, will go 100k miles no problem. The BEST plugs for your civic are NGK, and as of NOW, the BEST spark plugs are probably the iridium IX.

I know nothing of the spark plug wires, only that Honda OEM wires are fantastic compared to other makes. Since I know little, i advise nothing of this. Hope that trend catches on right?
Old 12-21-2004, 07:18 AM
99-0104

Default Re: Best oil change options for 2000 Si (Radyjr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Radyjr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Castrol Syntheic Works for me and plugs i use Split fire Platinum4 wires i use MSD</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would really recomend changing those spark plugs ... i have changed many engines due to those plugs melting the piston .... the heat range on the plugs dont match hondas # correctly ....
Old 12-21-2004, 07:37 AM

mobil 1 syntetic 5w30 and ngk plugs.when i go boost i will get the ngk colder plugs.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:18 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dj_BUDDAH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i called my honda dealership here in AZ and a full oil change (oil, filter, wires, plugs) is going to run me $39.99 for all that with labor</TD></TR></TABLE>

$39.99 for oil/plugs/wires/filter? either he misunderstood what you wanted, or you misheard the price.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dj_BUDDAH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow thats good info

i called my honda dealership here in AZ and a full oil change (oil, filter, wires, plugs) is going to run me $39.99 for all that with labor

(now if i can only get that darn sales guy to stop trying to sell me a 05 si hatch i'll be strait)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I think there was a misunderstanding on the price somewhere. I just bought some NGK stock replacements and the cheapest I could find them was $57. Plus will run you at least $20, probably closer to $35. I bet he quote you on just an oil change.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use mobile 1 synthetic 5w 30 with a diamond filter and STI wires w/ denso irridium plugs in my 99 si, After putting in the plugs and wires the car ran soo much better....
Old 12-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best oil change options for 2000 Si (GramSilightZ99)

o ya my car just hit 74k
Old 12-21-2004, 01:53 PM
nerd

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

your right actually i confirmed it was just the oil change

w/ plugs and stuff it cam to all most $100
Old 12-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ngk plugs..honda filter...mobil oil
Old 12-21-2004, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Best oil change options for 2000 Si (silverEH2)

Here's a little info about oil and when you should change it:

Why should you go around 3000 miles every oil change?

Like previously state normal driving conditions are almost non-existant. You have to warm up your car before every drive, and pretty much drive at a consistant speed for a longer trip.

Owner's manuels state Severe Driving Conditions as:
Driving with frequent stopping and accelerating (in town), up hills, extreme hot or cold temperatures, and many other things.

Virtually everybody drives under extreme driving conditions. If you drive on the open freeway, with the cruise set, yes you probably won't have to change your oil as frequently. But if you live say in Seattle with really bad traffic, your motor oil will break down faster and create a sludge build up. The sludge build up will clog oil passage ways and creating less flow, kind of like cholesterol in your blood stream. This will cause less lubrication, cooling, and will shorten engine life.

Synthetic motor oils have additives to help prevent the oil from breaking down under cold startups, extreme heat, and excessive wear (going over 3,000 miles on your motor oil) Yes, I'd agree you'd be safe to go over 3,000 miles on a synthetic than a conventional oil, but if you drive like I do (and I know a lot of us honda guys like to have fun on the on-ramps) then your synthetic motor oil will also break down quicker, than a more "cautious" driver. I would definetely recommend a synthetic motor oil, or at least a synthetic blend. If you change the oil yourself, like I do, you can buy a premium oil filter, and say Royal Purple (Which I use and would recommend, I also would recommend Redline if you want the best.) for under the price it costs at a quality lube shop.

Hopefully this little bit of information will help out to this post.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:39 PM

You guys should check out the Used Oil Analysis forum on http://www.bobistheoilguy.com there's proven numbers on there.

You got guys that use cheap *** **** and change their oil every 3000, and you got guys that use synthetics and go 10,000.

Good reading in their forums, too.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:51 PM

Default Re: (Eee Pee)

a way to help clean a sludge motor is to drain a quart of oil out a day before you change your oil and add a quart of ATF and then drive it around for a day. After a day just go in and change your oil and your motor should be a lil cleaner.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:12 PM

5w-30 it say's it on the vavle cover oil cap..

Quick Reply: Best oil change options for 2000 Si