Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

best intake for n/a civic

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best intake for n/a civic

Hi i was wondering about whats the best air intake for a n/a eg b16a civ. i know that a cai would give more pre-vtec gains but a wai would give more post vtec gains but anyone know whats the best ram air to get? ive got a few honda books but they're dyno graphs are a little out of date. i would like to know if the passwordjdm power chamber, aem v2, weapon r, or that other power chamber intake with the helix filter would be an improvement over my standard wai. oh and ive already decided to put a scoop in the left bumper corner to channel outside air into the engine bay. i live in minnesota so getting -30 degree air is reall nice compared to that engine bay air.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: best intake for n/a civic (justinchodge)

The best intake will be one that you don't purchase on ebay and uses a cotton-gauze element filter. The gains from intakes on near-stock NA motors is usually less than the error factor on most dynos between runs. BTW intake air can actually be too cold. You want dense air, not fridgid air. People love the whale ***** intake, but I would suspect its because it can be found in carbon fiber, and the fact many young guys love to say they own a 25" *****.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

x2 for whale *****. password jdm sells one, or you could get the real deal j's racing one
Old 04-23-2007, 01:33 AM

hows about its N/A screw cold air intakes and ram air spend the money and buy ITB's haha do it
Old 04-23-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Re: best intake for n/a civic (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The best intake will be one that you don't purchase on ebay and uses a cotton-gauze element filter. The gains from intakes on near-stock NA motors is usually less than the error factor on most dynos between runs. BTW intake air can actually be too cold. You want dense air, not fridgid air. People love the whale ***** intake, but I would suspect its because it can be found in carbon fiber, and the fact many young guys love to say they own a 25" *****. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The whale ***** intake is mostly for show but it is one of the good ones.Not the best but its very good. Someone who is paying over 200 dollars on an intake is not looking for performance let me tell you that. Youre better off with a custom made one from home depot with a K&N filter.That will net you the most bang per HP.There are drawbacks to it but search and youll see why.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: best intake for n/a civic (HiProfile)

frigid air is dense air. cold = dense. just gotta keep that air-fuel in check. and actually if you check out the honda build books in ur local barnes and noble youll see that intakes very alot in terms of hp. and every hp counts expecially on a n/a build. itb are too much money and too little on gains with out a camshaft swap or other internal mods. anyone know if the whale ***** intake actually puts out more hp? a tapered intake is dyno proven to make more hp than a standard intake. the password jdm intake is probably the most tapered of any intake. anyone have dyno graphs of a whale ***** intake compared to standard wai? oh and does anyoe have a secret weapon intake? id liek a review from someone that actually has used one. i hate all these answers that i get on every post that are completely based on nothing other than here say.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all depends on how much money your willing to spend.

best bang for buck i would say is buy a ebay intake, throw away the shitty filter it comes with, and replace it with a quality one such as K&N. the gains comapred to other brands is well justified by the price difference.

but if your looking for best gains i would say you cant go wrong with the AEM v2.

password:jdm has a dyno grpah on their page claiming 10hp gains with the whale ***** so if its true then the whale ***** isnt a bad choice either, though i personally wouldnt trust the password:jdm filter.

and whether or not you go CAI or SRI is a personal choice. does your area rain alot? if so then a CAI might not be the best choice. generally a CAI will yeild greater gains since its sucking in colder air, but if you live in -30 degree then i doubt hot aire is a problem for you. and SRI usually give better throttle response due to shorter piping.

and if your going to put a scoop on your hood i would recomend a NACA duct. they are less noticeable and doesnt create as much drag as a scoop style. or you can consider the option of using a air duct behind one of the bumper openings to draw and direct fresh air to your intake.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:49 AM

cool informative post,thanks^^^

So youre saying a short ram would be best for my conditions since it snows a lot?It also gets hot in the summer tho.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: (Felliph3)

3" ITR AEM CAI with an air horn

dyno proven to make more power than most commercially available intakes.
(depending on application)
Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Felliph3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Felliph3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool informative post,thanks^^^

So youre saying a short ram would be best for my conditions since it snows a lot?It also gets hot in the summer tho.</TD></TR></TABLE>

with a CAI you run the risk of sucking in water and hydro locking your motor. though is most cases you would have to pretty much submerge your filter in water for this to happen. AEM and other ocmpanies make a bypass valve to help prevent this problem. but in my area (pacific northwest) we get alot of rain, and even with my stock intake w/ the bottom half removed i have sucked in water, not bad enough to hydro lock, but enough to make my engine hesitate and almost stall for a couple miles.

personally for me the HP gains with a CAI is not worth the risk of hydrolocking. plus, i would rather take the throttle response of a SRI over the couple extra ponies of a CAI.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: best intake for n/a civic (Felliph3)

i heard something like that on a ricer song "i got a custom cold air intake made of pvc pipes"
Old 04-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (pos_cd5)

Short ram or whale ***** intake get my vote.

Make sure to run a k&n though.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (pos_cd5)

3'' sri or cai of your choice with a velocity stack and k&n filter. simple and effective.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (doood)

apexi filter on stock intake arm.

you mite get 2-3 more hp with a cai, its nothing special you will notice. on low displacement engines like ours, i think throttle response is more important.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:25 AM

i have a b16 as well and i did alot of studying on what in take to get. the AEM V2 has been dyno proven to give you 17.5 hp ata certain rpm with a full exhaust system
Old 04-24-2007, 10:28 AM
been there done that

Default Re: best intake for n/a civic (FOOLS_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FOOLS_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a b16 as well and i did alot of studying on what in take to get. the AEM V2 has been dyno proven to give you 17.5 hp ata certain rpm with a full exhaust system</TD></TR></TABLE>

dyno proven by who? aem?

Old 04-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FOOLS_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a b16 as well and i did alot of studying on what in take to get. the AEM V2 has been dyno proven to give you 17.5 hp ata certain rpm with a full exhaust system</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry im gonna have to call bs on that one LOL
Old 04-24-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: best intake for n/a civic (pos_cd5)

i think im getting the password jdm by the sound of things. and just scoop some cold air from the bumper into the bay. trying to get an i/h/e b16 that can beat 5.0 stangs. no real reason other than for kicks. so whale ***** intake with kn filter and scoop from bumper to bay to get that nice cold mn air and keep my throttle response high. not a daily driver so no worries about hydrolock but dyno graphs ive seen show the vtec doesnt like the extra tubing on the cai.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Re: best intake for n/a civic (GG99)

hey its jus what i read. they were buildin on an si in ca to see what parts would give the most power. so thats the word on the street
Old 04-24-2007, 11:12 AM
been there done that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by justinchodge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> trying to get an i/h/e b16 that can beat 5.0 stangs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that's not gonna happen

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FOOLS_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey its jus what i read. they were buildin on an si in ca to see what parts would give the most power. so thats the word on the street</TD></TR></TABLE>

like i said, dynoed by who?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FOOLS_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey its jus what i read. they were buildin on an si in ca to see what parts would give the most power. so thats the word on the street</TD></TR></TABLE>

is it the new Si's? i've seen some pretty incredible gains with simple bolt-ons with the k-series engine. so a inktae+exhaust netting 17whp gain isnt that far fetched.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: best intake for n/a civic (doood)

you should do some research and take a look at the 1/4 times for b16a egs and the 1/4 times for 5.0 stangs. hell just search this forum for the b16a n/a 1/4 times. car and drivers b16a n/a civ ran a 14.8 1/4 and a 6.5 0-60. same with the majority of b16a egs out there. take a look on youtube they got a b16a1 crx beating a 5.0 stang both i/e and the crx won by a smidge both races. so do some research before you run ur mouth
Old 04-24-2007, 12:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by justinchodge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should do some research and take a look at the 1/4 times for b16a egs and the 1/4 times for 5.0 stangs. hell just search this forum for the b16a n/a 1/4 times. car and drivers b16a n/a civ ran a 14.8 1/4 and a 6.5 0-60. same with the majority of b16a egs out there. take a look on youtube they got a b16a1 crx beating a 5.0 stang both i/e and the crx won by a smidge both races. so do some research before you run ur mouth</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, that's some big talk for someone who is aking about a ricey center exit exhaust (just to be different ) in another thread. I OWN a JDM B16a and I will be the first to tell you it's not beating 5.0's with the i/h/e and other bolt-on's I have!! Big n/a numbers don't come from just i/h/e it usually involves alot of internal work like pistons, cams, pnp, and **** like that so maybe YOU should do some research before popping off at the mouth! Stick to bodykits and underglow!!

P.S. you just got schooled by a girl!

Modified by d3vilishSi at 1:58 PM 4/24/2007

Modified by d3vilishSi at 2:08 PM 4/24/2007
Old 04-24-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: best intake for n/a civic (d3vilishSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foowitdaredek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i heard something like that on a ricer song "i got a custom cold air intake made of pvc pipes"
</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko3ojrte-I8

1:24 is when he says it
Old 04-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: best intake for n/a civic (em1mike)

AEM v2 intakes beat everything else hands down, expletive those stupid passwordJDM intakes

Quick Reply: best intake for n/a civic