Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best exhaust header, Del sol

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best exhaust header, Del sol

opinion Q, been researching headers for my del sol. every vendor says they are the best, and you can't believe every marketing statement you read. Wondering what experience on this forum has to say about using the different headers on the market. Been looking at megan, DC, weapon-r. also would like to know the major difference between 4-2-1 and 4-1 (told it was torque compared to HP).
Old 09-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best exhaust header, Del sol

What engine do you have in your Del Sol? 4-2-1 headers make power in the low-mid range, while 4-1 headers make more power in the mid-high range. Range being rpm. Many headers have a very similar design and honesty you wont see or feel much of a difference either. It mostly comes down to preference.

Matt
Old 09-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an old D series, D15B7. I want to do an engine swap later (have to move in next two years). Much research on that. New with the Honda so want to play a little with this engine.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is no "best" header.

I can tell you right now that if you're really looking at getting a solid header, that performs the way it's designed, you're looking at $500-$1200.

If it's on ebay you're doing it wrong.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
there is no "best" header.

I can tell you right now that if you're really looking at getting a solid header, that performs the way it's designed, you're looking at $500-$1200.

If it's on ebay you're doing it wrong.
what brand would I be looking at. Want to get a little extra whp on the ground but not in the pocket. want to make sure I at least get something instead of a bunch of a talk from the vendor.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by DelSol Dog
what brand would I be looking at. Want to get a little extra whp on the ground but not in the pocket. want to make sure I at least get something instead of a bunch of a talk from the vendor.
I stopped reading there.

Stick with your OEM header.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wait. patiently. if you were going to turbo and rebuild the D it'd be different...slightly(can't use a header on a turbo.)
just do the swap first. preferably b18 or h22(this one).
then worry about performance. then you won't just be throwin money out.

421 is usually more used in street builds for the low-midrange torque, and 4-1 for bigger motors(they'll have the low mid torque to not make it drive funny) or high rpm, its nice on a freeway. but my 4-1 in the sol is a little lack till bout 45mph/3500k rpm and up.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
wait. patiently. if you were going to turbo and rebuild the D it'd be different...slightly(can't use a header on a turbo.)
just do the swap first. preferably b18 or h22(this one).
then worry about performance. then you won't just be throwin money out.

421 is usually more used in street builds for the low-midrange torque, and 4-1 for bigger motors(they'll have the low mid torque to not make it drive funny) or high rpm, its nice on a freeway. but my 4-1 in the sol is a little lack till bout 45mph/3500k rpm and up.
sounds good. Will be tough, two years long time. Have the D15 manual tran, will I need a replace of the tran as well going B18 or H22? How about the motor mounts? Read a lot on the versatility of the b18 series, is it same for the h22 (not as familiar with this one)?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by DelSol Dog
sounds good. Will be tough, two years long time. Have the D15 manual tran, will I need a replace of the tran as well going B18 or H22? How about the motor mounts? Read a lot on the versatility of the b18 series, is it same for the h22 (not as familiar with this one)?
You've got a lot of reading to do.

Any engine swap across engine series needs a different transmission. Unless you were doing an h2d or h2b build from a d or b motor, respectively.

Your d-series transmission wont fit an h22 or b-series. Not without an expensive custom fabricated adapter plate.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You've got a lot of reading to do.

Any engine swap across engine series needs a different transmission. Unless you were doing an h2d or h2b build from a d or b motor, respectively.

Your d-series transmission wont fit an h22 or b-series. Not without an expensive custom fabricated adapter plate.
That is what I am here for, research, research, and more research. Just have to weed the bad advice from the good, fact from fiction. Planned on a complete rebuild of whatever I decide - internal to ex. New to Honda engines - they are extremely versatile it seems, built around a standard spec. Thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright well atleast you dont think you know everything already thats a plus honestly though your right thats why i like hondas too the versatility is amazing. that being said i think you should wait for the swap like Red_Army said, the motor you have is not worth throwing money at unless you know what doing and are a die hard fan of it, i would start with the suspension if you want to spend money on your car or an intake if you must since that would be cheapest assuming your body is in decent shape, obviously you gotta decide what is best for you depending on what application your gonna being using your car for (track, drag, street, etc.) mainly what i wanna tell you is most civics from the nineties and this includes the del sol had the D-series engine (with the exception of the del sol "vtec") and alot of those parts can be mixed and matched including the transmission and stuff. then theres the B series motors which at this point in the honda game are fairly cheap moake decent power and have the most parts available for it you find these in that del sol vtec and the 99-00 civic si's but those slip right into the spot of the d series without any sort of customization then there are the H series motors that come in the preludes which make a little more torque but they usually require you to upgrade the axles and special motor mounts. lastly i just leave you with the new k series motors that come in the rsx's and new civics they are expensive but nice... hope this helps get you on your way and welcome to the wonderful world of honda
Old 09-27-2010, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. I will be the first to say "I don't know", till I look for it myself. already started with the suspension. I am going through replacing all worn parts and bushings - poly. Wheel bearings done. been reading on coil-overs vs shock and strut and camber kits. Also looking into changing over rear drum to disk. Body and frame are in great shape, almost zero rust! I am trying to lighten the vehicle as I go. I would get started on the swap, but have no place to engine stand the swap to rip it apart.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:21 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Just a piece of advice:

There's a reason things are cheaper than others. When buying parts be sure to do plenty of research. IN the long run it's almost always better to spend the extra 20-40% more on a higher end aftermarket part. The cheaper parts tend to wear out and or break and you end up replacing them anyway.

For example lower control arms, I wouldn't buy anything but maybe BWR or function7 if I had to get LCAs. Aftermarket skunk2 or blox lcas tend to be about the same as OEM, just with a better look. Seldom are the bushings better or more durable than factory bushings. The function 7's are well worth the extra 50-100% in cost or other control arms.

Not to mention you'd probably be better off just buying good polyurethane bushings and having a shop replace them. But then again you end up with ugly oem arms with good performance.

Edit:

PS: Slotted or drilled rotors suck. Use blank rotors.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

save your money for a swap dont put all your money into a d15 just save it for a ls or something thats what i did in my sol
Old 09-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by Jdm_Ego
save your money for a swap dont put all your money into a d15 just save it for a ls or something thats what i did in my sol

Aye, bolt ons for a d-series is a waste of time. Compression test it for a turbo or swap it.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a piece of advice:

There's a reason things are cheaper than others. When buying parts be sure to do plenty of research. IN the long run it's almost always better to spend the extra 20-40% more on a higher end aftermarket part. The cheaper parts tend to wear out and or break and you end up replacing them anyway.
AMEN to that! When it comes to my car - cost is not an issue. I will pay what is needed the first time for doing it right.

Not to mention you'd probably be better off just buying good polyurethane bushings and having a shop replace them. But then again you end up with ugly oem arms with good performance.
On the right track then, 95% complete on the replacement. Have an issue with shops and mechanics touching my car (last time they put it back together wrong - different story), so purchased a harbor freight press - do it myself. Been a lot of fun actually.

Great advice, thanks. How about Skunk2 on Intake Manifolds?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have to ask, an eBay 4-2-1 knockoff header is all you need. The fitment might suck, but it'll make a little more power. There's no reason to pay more than that unless you're really serious.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...or don't wanna play the guess if my stuff fits works doesn't break in 6 months..

type-r cnc ported is best. but they're decent. but it would depend on the motor you get.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Too bad I just sold our old race B18C+ITR transmission for cheap.

The most power gains from headers is ultimately in the exhaust collector size. If you go to a header with a JDM-sized collector (2.5" vs 1.75") and couple it with a good high flow cat (or straight pipe, for a race car) you'll see the best gains for your buck.

IM me if you need help with the old school swaps. After all, I used to run the old hybrid site (wow, it's been 10 years!)

-A
Old 09-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by Function7
Too bad I just sold our old race B18C+ITR transmission for cheap.

The most power gains from headers is ultimately in the exhaust collector size. If you go to a header with a JDM-sized collector (2.5" vs 1.75") and couple it with a good high flow cat (or straight pipe, for a race car) you'll see the best gains for your buck.

IM me if you need help with the old school swaps. After all, I used to run the old hybrid site (wow, it's been 10 years!)

-A
I wish I'd known you guys were in Mesa. I lived in Tolleson for a year or so. Would have loved to hang out and chat