Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best Carpet Adhesive for Aftermarket Carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best Carpet Adhesive for Aftermarket Carpet?

Sup! Been lurking for a while and finally got around to posting!

I just installed some aftermarket black carpet in my EJ and theres a few spots rising up; I had my pops help with the installation and hes a "good enough" type of guy. I got back home and tried to tighten everything up better myself and try to clean up some of the holes (dont get me started on those..:/) but I cant get the drivers side foot area to stay down. I searched the forums for tips on adhesives but didn't find any specific mentions. I also saw someone mention using a heat gun to mold the carpet.

Any recommendations? Anyone have experience with the heat gun method? I would definitely like to try that to even everything out if possible.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:47 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Best Carpet Adhesive for Aftermarket Carpet?

You're not suppose to use any adhesive on the carpet. It's suppose to come molded to your floor, all you would need to do is cut in certain spots to get it to fit over the shifter, holes for your seats and what not.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I understand ideally I would not want any adhesive, but its not an OEM carpet and molded completely correct. Besides the little problem area its held down pretty well, which is why Im looking for a solution that doesnt involve starting over. I tried to refit the area and took all the panels and seats out from the drivers side but it didnt make a difference, but I could be fitting it wrong in the first place,

If I have to I will start completely over but Im wondering if theres not a specific adhesive for this or if the hot gun method works well. Im also worried if I start over the holes will shift and I will need to cut them bigger. Theyre already a bit large due to the hack job my pops did.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:55 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, there isn't an adhesive for it, because you aren't supposed to use any adhesive. If it's arching, then adhesive is only going to turn that arch into a wrinkle. If the carpet doesn't fit correctly, you ordered shitty carpet, and should have realized that before you started chopping it up. Did you even let it air out, flat, for 24 hours after removing it from the shipping box? This is a REALLY common problem if you don't do that.

If you insist on doing it the wrong way and using adhesive, then any rubber cement will work. That's what the guys with non-fitted carpet do.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I got the carpet from stockinteriors, which I saw someone recommend on here a while back. And besides this one spot it has held down pretty nicely.

However, it sounds like you've found the source of the problem. I didnt have it laid down for 24 hours at all. I had it rolled out on the floor for maybe 2 hours at most, and had to roll it back for transportation. I then had it laid out again for another 3 hours while we worked on removing and cleaning up the car itself.
Their installation video did mention laying it out in a warm room but didnt really mention the amount of time.
Auto Carpet Installation Instructions - How To

Would it help to yank it out and have it laid out for a while, or not anymore, since its been a few days already (installed it on 9/27)?

And yeah perhaps I should avoid the cement. If its heat that helps mold the shape though, then there is some merit to using a heat gun?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:48 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try a heat gun, but be careful not to melt the carpet - it's made of plastic fibers.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm. I was looking at that site for possible replacement for my carpet. Good to know about the fitment.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep in mind that its entirely possible the issue is due to the customer and not the carpet haha. It does fit nicely otherwise. Ill take pics and post them up.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I think you were suppose to lay it out before making the cuts and installing it hahaha.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I didnt realize that haha :/