Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best brand Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brand Battery?

Replacing the old battery that died out.. need a new one any suggestions with type/brand/size?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best brand Battery? (SilverWarrior)

optima red top is fine for a civic, if going for a larger vehicle i'd suggest a yellow top. But then again im not sure wat size battery fits under the hood.... mines relocated to the trunk
Old 04-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

optima red top
Old 04-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stick with optima or another similar batter, dont get a die hard like me, they suck after a year or two
Old 04-08-2008, 02:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (tazeat)

i've used an optima yellow top in my crx with a b18b and b18c and i liked it just fine. in my ek my battery hasn't gone out yet but when it does i'll probably get another yellow top.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tazeat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stick with optima or another similar batter, dont get a die hard like me, they suck after a year or two </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like someone got a wal-mart battery
Old 04-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Interstate mine lasted like seven years
Old 04-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egsleepercivic)

just get a duralast from vatozone 2yr warranty FTW!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:21 PM

Default Re: (ONE*SICK*FERIO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egsleepercivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Interstate mine lasted like seven years </TD></TR></TABLE>
oh geez! sounds good! how much does it cost?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ONE*SICK*FERIO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get a duralast from vatozone 2yr warranty FTW!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

hm thats good deal, how much does that cost?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:35 PM

interstate ftw
Old 04-08-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Re: (wrxrated03)

you will regret it if you get anything other than an interstate. 72 month warranty, cant beat it for the money and cca
Old 04-08-2008, 05:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ONE*SICK*FERIO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get a duralast from autozone 2yr warranty FTW!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I put duralast red tops in all my Hondas and I've never had a problem I love them for the price
Old 04-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (UnforgivingEK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UnforgivingEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like someone got a wal-mart battery </TD></TR></TABLE>
Its a diehard gold from Sears... I had them check it, they said keep saying it checks out ok, I argued with them, but got no where... When I first bought it I could listen to my car stereo w/ the car off for like a half hour or more, now its like 5 minutes if that before the amps shut off due to low voltage... Also now the remote start often fails as the voltage drops too low when starting and it resets the alarm thus causing it not to work, it ever used to do that... The ******** at Sears still won't replace it and its well within warranty.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 AM

optima red top is good.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Energizer, they keep going and going and going...LOL
Old 04-09-2008, 09:45 AM

Default Re: (blk92_d16)

From working at the dealer, you'll be fine with any battery as long as you remember to fill up the cells with water. Pop open the top cover and fill it up but not so much you overflow it. Even if it says maintence free and that you don't need to do it, you can still pop the 2 top covers off and do it. We do it all the time at the dealer so its pretty much so that you replace your battery so we make profit.

My battery has lasted 5 years and still going/
Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (egsleepercivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egsleepercivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Interstate mine lasted like seven years </TD></TR></TABLE>

...and muh cheaper that Optima.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Where the wild things are in, NY, United States of America

Braille Auto. My battery is smaller then my crank pulley
Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ONE*SICK*FERIO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get a duralast from autozone 2yr warranty FTW!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's two year free replacement. The warranty is a seven year pro rated warranty though.

The Duralast Gold have a three year free replacement, 8 year pro rated warranty and road side jump start assistance.

I have an Optima Red Top. The problem is, the one for the 6th gen Civic has been on backorder from the company for several years (from what I've heard). The correct battery is impossible to get a hold of. The ones you find in stores will be a little too big and will not fit on the battery tray and the stock hold downs will not fit around the battery.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tazeat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now its like 5 minutes if that before the amps shut off due to low voltage... .</TD></TR></TABLE>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have you put the battery in another car cause that kinda sounds more then just a battery problem &gt;=o

And you want something with a warranty just a long warranty and USUALLY batteries are suppose to be good up to like 4-6 years
Old 04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh, and my '98 EX coupe was bought (by myself) from Honda used with a Honda battery in it. Honda had not serviced the car (not so much of a vacuum even).

The previous owner appears to have had the car serviced at Honda. So it had a Honda battery in it still when I bought it in May of 2003. I replaced that battery in 2006. the battery appeared to have been in the car for awhile, but I'm not sure when the previous owner had it installed, but I can't see going through two batteries in eight years.

So I suppose it could have been the original battery. That would have made it eight years old at replacement.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wrxrated03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrxrated03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">interstate ftw</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine lasted 5 yrs and they prorated my battery when I got my new one. Interstate is the way to go!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:45 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tazeat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Its a diehard gold from Sears... I had them check it, they said keep saying it checks out ok, I argued with them, but got no where... When I first bought it I could listen to my car stereo w/ the car off for like a half hour or more, now its like 5 minutes if that before the amps shut off due to low voltage... Also now the remote start often fails as the voltage drops too low when starting and it resets the alarm thus causing it not to work, it ever used to do that... The ******** at Sears still won't replace it and its well within warranty.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Drain that thing down to nothing a few times and let it sit a couple days before half assed charging it back up. That'll kill the cells for good and they won't be able to argue.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

i use interstate batteries on my HPDE civic and daily drivers. i just get the cheapest interstate battery available which is the Mega-tron.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Best brand Battery? (SilverWarrior)

What is your budget for a battery?

I got a costco battery, its holding up well... tho not as good as it was, before i accidentally left the lights on... i forget what the free replacement time was, but i think it was 3 years...

if your battery doesn't last, figure out how many times you've drained its charge, i don't think you can drain it more than 3 times, after that, the battery just craps out - and it will not hold a charge anymore.

here is something interesting: http://shopping.yahoo.com/prem...00426

Quick Reply: Best brand Battery?