Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best bi-directional motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best bi-directional motor

What do you think is the best All-Around motor? All-Around meaning: Best to go from stock to either Forced induction or All-Motor. The motor choices I gave are from my own understanding motors that have seen all-motor power and forced induction. So which one to you is the top dog All-Around motor?
Old 02-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best bi-directional motor (92CivicSIRhb)

d14
Old 02-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

best bi-directional motor? You mean motors that can spin in both directions?

worst poll ever.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best bi-directional motor (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">best bi-directional motor? You mean motors that can spin in both directions?

worst poll ever. </TD></TR></TABLE>
It requires reading, don't be angry at the thread creator, be angry at your mom.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Best bi-directional motor (fwdtamiya)

B18c1 - compression isn't too high, very good NA (stock or modified), and proven to hold 300+ boosted safely.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Go Tigers!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fwdtamiya &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It requires reading, don't be angry at the thread creator, be angry at your mom.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, like this topic has never been covered before.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k20/f20
/thread
Old 02-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best bi-directional motor (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k20/f20
/thread</TD></TR></TABLE>
Wow, umm i vote neigh.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats better? k20 is superior engineering along with the f20, 200 hp and 240 hp are pretty good numbers stock for I-4's
Old 02-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best bi-directional motor (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats better? k20 is superior engineering along with the f20, 200 hp and 240 hp are pretty good numbers stock for I-4's</TD></TR></TABLE>
Maybe it's just me, but turbo charging 'superior engineering' doesn't seem right. And you should have specified that you meant the f20C.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What happened to the b16b? NA this engine is awsome, but havn't get to see one with boost yet.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fwdtamiya &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It requires reading, don't be angry at the thread creator, be angry at your mom.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LMAO
Old 02-05-2006, 07:41 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best bi-directional motor (djSALIX)

The best motor is the K20R, however, considering cost....thats another issue.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best bi-directional motor (Redline96LX)

no D come on ..

i mean seriously no D
Old 02-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: Best bi-directional motor (haveaniceday)

you guys are ridicilious. Every motor has potential, every motor has the capability of being built, it's how much money you want to spend and what hp goal you are seeking. instead of saying that you want a ________ motor with a turbo running __ amount of boost. You should say "I want __hp and be able to run __ in the 1/4th and be ___ fast. How can I get it the cheapest way?

strong NA motors are good, but they're expensive, mostly for the rarity and the bling. However there are certain NA characteristics that help it get more torque at __ RPM that are detrimental when using force induction. Such as cam overlap. This is the advantage of dual cams when using adjustable cam gears, it allows one to fine tune the amount overlap on the intake AND exhaust cam. However most tuners just are under this concept that more is always better. However this is a fallacy because they don't understand how things work.

ETs are for traction and the driver, where as trap speeds tell the speed of the car. If you want a car that can trap at speeds above 120, you're going to want to stay with the bigger higher-revving motors, if you want something that's decently quick but don't want to spend lots of money on the engine because you realize that it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things and that you want to focus your money on suspension, brakes, limited-slip differential, and other things, you might just want to go with a mild d-series turbo.

Everyone here knows that he k20-r has the most potential. The H22 yields more torque than a b18c5 but you have to hack up the car for the shift cables. The b18c5 is an amazing high revving motor, it's cheaper to get a gsr and put better internals in it, but it takes more time. Which do you have more of: time or money? Guys under 19, believe it or not, some of us have more money than time and just don't feel like buying all the tools and running around town to get pistons pressed on our rods, etc.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you're missing the point. It's like my economy class, for the sake of simplicity i believe he's just talking how much: boost a motor can take/hp it can make/torque it can make. Not about how much it costs, and how much money you'll have left over to do what, and what you have to do to get the motor into a certain chassis.

He wants to have a debate on: If you could pick one motor and still weren't sure on if you were going FI or NA which would you choose.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Go Tigers!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fwdtamiya &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you're missing the point. It's like my economy class, for the sake of simplicity i believe he's just talking how much: boost a motor can take/hp it can make/torque it can make. Not about how much it costs, and how much money you'll have left over to do what, and what you have to do to get the motor into a certain chassis.

He wants to have a debate on: If you could pick one motor and still weren't sure on if you were going FI or NA which would you choose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would somebody ask such a stupid question that's been covered SO MANY TIMES
Old 02-05-2006, 09:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fwdtamiya &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He wants to have a debate on: If you could pick one motor and still weren't sure on if you were going FI or NA which would you choose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

k20a, hands down.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: Best bi-directional motor (knockout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">k20a, hands down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly
Old 02-05-2006, 11:44 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only conclusion you can make is this

K&gt;R&gt;B&gt;D

In terms of effeciency for making power. If your talking thermal effeciency, or power per size, modern engines are gonna have more stuff to make em more effecient. WE have a K20 that will do 210hp, have a B16 that will do 160hp and a D15 that will do 130hp, take your pick. For the money, D16s are still the best, K-series have the least loss to friction (and less pumping losses.)

So this question which is the best is relative, and almost doesnt have an answer. Move to GDD.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Best bi-directional motor (Redline96LX)

thanks for all the reply's guys. This is just a poll to see what other people feel is a good all around motor. I know quite a few people that went all motor Bxx, then realized they wanted more power then they switched to forced induction. so i was just curious what would be a good base motor for just about anything you would or want to do. If you don't like the thread don't post. but if you do please give me your 2 cents.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:33 PM
* B A N N E D *

h2b should be on the list
it's EASILY the best combination for an obd1/2 car out there...and you can get one together for less than a complete GSR swap!
Old 02-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Multi-paradigm

I voted for the hell of it, so don't say I didn't contribute.

And not to take sides here or anything...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">worst poll ever. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The truth.
OTS, search like you're supposed to.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best bi-directional motor (Screwtape.)

I think he asked a question in a weird way so that it doesn't look like a repost
Old 02-06-2006, 06:08 PM

Out of every

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would somebody ask such a stupid question that's been covered SO MANY TIMES</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i think he did it this way because its been covered so many times theres to much debate. people can argue for the different reasons but this is straight to the point pick one and im guessing he would pick the overall chosen.

gsr is a good choice not to pricey

but if i had the money k20... so much more potential than any b.

Quick Reply: Best bi-directional motor