best battery in the market?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best battery in the market?

eg bubble
currently running a Everlast battery

in the market for a new battery.. kinda want the best of the best so I dont have to deal with this headache anymore..

suggestions hondatech?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: best battery in the market?

I've always run Optima Yellow tops in my vehicles. They hold up extremely well. I once took it out of my car and put it in a friend's car to start his vehicle that we had just finished repairs on. We cranked his car probably 10 times for 10-15 seconds at a time and couldn't get the car to start. Took the battery out and put it back into my car and started it right up without any issues. Also, I left my lights on for approximately 3 hours once and came out to try and start the car and had it start without any problems.

My EG currently has an Optima Red top in it which are also good. Red top would be a better choice for vehicles that need a fast and powerful crank to start, more suited for a diesel or high compression V8 or a carb'd vehicle. Yellow tops are better for people who are running large stereo's or want something that can be discharged and recharged without harming the battery.

For a Honda though almost any battery can start it, even if it's weak or bad. The stock battery is only like a 450 CCA battery which is extremely small. My girlfriend's original battery would test at around 300 CCA but would still start the car in the winter.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

optima=best line of batteries on the market. yellow top would be a great choice for your application. that is if you wanna fork out 200 bucks
Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
I've always run Optima Yellow tops in my vehicles. They hold up extremely well. I once took it out of my car and put it in a friend's car to start his vehicle that we had just finished repairs on. We cranked his car probably 10 times for 10-15 seconds at a time and couldn't get the car to start. Took the battery out and put it back into my car and started it right up without any issues. Also, I left my lights on for approximately 3 hours once and came out to try and start the car and had it start without any problems.

My EG currently has an Optima Red top in it which are also good. Red top would be a better choice for vehicles that need a fast and powerful crank to start, more suited for a diesel or high compression V8 or a carb'd vehicle. Yellow tops are better for people who are running large stereo's or want something that can be discharged and recharged without harming the battery.

For a Honda though almost any battery can start it, even if it's weak or bad. The stock battery is only like a 450 CCA battery which is extremely small. My girlfriend's original battery would test at around 300 CCA but would still start the car in the winter.
good batteries but god damn they are heavy...
i had a red top in my old 01 civic about 5 years ago... i left the key turned over with the radio on all night... i was looking for my keys and realized i left em in my car... anyways i was still able to start my car up...
Old 11-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93egSLEEPER
optima=best line of batteries on the market. yellow top would be a great choice for your application. that is if you wanna fork out 200 bucks
ima battery n00b.. is there like a size I need to ask for?
or do I just ask for a optima yellow top?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rhdjeezy
ima battery n00b.. is there like a size I need to ask for?
or do I just ask for a optima yellow top?
they come in different CCA (cold cranking amps) ratings. for a honda its recommended you get one that from 650cca to 725cca. anything else is overkill and can burn out your starter.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Almost forgot, the Yellow tops are more expensive than the Red tops. Yes, they are expensive, but they are also supposed to be able to last twice as long. Any good normal battery will run you at least 60 dollars. I was able to pick up the Yellow top for my girlfriend's 97 for around 160 I believe. Also, the Optima batteries have great warranties on them, I believe a 3 year free replacement or something along those lines.

The major advantage to them is even if you do run it dead as long as you recharge it properly there is generally no impact on battery life due to it being a gel-filled battery. Lead acid batteries will take a cut in battery life after being discharged as the plates inside the battery will sulfate. Also, Optima batteries don't get the parasitic draw on them during the winter as shown in lead acid batteries. When it gets cold you'll notice lead acid batteries will wear down and crank vehicles slowly whereas the Optima's don't have this issue. Optima batteries also don't gas out like lead acid batteries meaning they can be place in the interior without needing a vent like a lead acid battery.

The size you're looking for is a D51R IIRC. Just go to your local parts store and see if they stock the batteries. They will be able to tell you exactly what size you need. Also, a side note - the stock battery size is the only size that will fit in the stock location. There's no other size made that's bigger that will fit in there. Trust me, I've tried. lol
Old 11-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

braile : 6 lbs 600cca
Old 11-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

spoon..lol
Old 11-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...riding lawn mower battery, for the broke racers.
Check Consumer Reports. I know they did a test on car batteries once.