Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Belts making CHAINSAW screeeeeeeching noises at start up, this is pissing me off!

Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belts making CHAINSAW screeeeeeeching noises at start up, this is pissing me off!

I had to remove the drive belts half a year ago to install a CKF sensor. After putting the belts back on, at cold startups, there would be this loud *** screech that lasts about 1 sec. I have since readjusted the tension on the power steering belt, alternator belt, and a/c belt, but the problem persists. I've readjusted maybe 10 times already in the past 6 months.

I went ahead and bought 3 new belts and threw the old ones out. Now, at startups, the screech noise is even louder (defeaning loud) and lasts even longer (like 3 full seconds), wtf? It sounds like a chainsaw, but now not only at cold startups but at ALL engine startups.

Would this chainsaw screech happen because the one of the belts is too loose or too tight? I'm not sure to tighten or to loosen. To make it worse, there's a total of 3 belts, and I'm not sure which one is causing it.

Any experience this annoying problem, how did you fix it?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Belts making CHAINSAW screeeeeeeching noises at start up, this is pissing me off! (Draggin99Si)

Bump i have the same problem to but my mines does it when i take off from a dead stop and my AC or heater is on
Old 01-19-2006, 12:32 PM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Belts making CHAINSAW screeeeeeeching noises at start up, this is pissing me off! (Draggin99Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Draggin99Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any experience this annoying problem, how did you fix it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

tighten the belt properly. if you have gone through 3 belts, and it is still doing the same thing, you need to tension the belt more then you are currently doing. on a sidenote, there is belt "dressing" you can buy that quiets them down.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Belts making CHAINSAW screeeeeeeching noises at start up, this is pissing me off! (Rodney)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rodney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

tighten the belt properly. if you have gone through 3 belts, and it is still doing the same thing, you need to tension the belt more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What he said. I had the same problems before I tightened the belts properly.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Belts making CHAINSAW screeeeeeeching noises at start up, this is pissing me off! (96hb)

I already tried to tighten it to specs, about 10 different times over the last half year so apparently, I'm not good at adjusting belts. In fact, I'm lousy at the art of belt adjusting.

What I'm wondering is would a belt being TOO LOOSE or TOO TIGHTENED cause the screaming noise? I'm trying to figure out if my belts or too loose or too tightened, which?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put some dish soap on the inner part of the belt and see what happen. And I'm not joking.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:11 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Draggin99Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What I'm wondering is would a belt being TOO LOOSE or TOO TIGHTENED cause the screaming noise? </TD></TR></TABLE>

the belts are too loose. when they are too tight you break belts or burn out/break components.

a general rule of thumb is to find the longest part of the belt, and make sure you cannot tist it more then 1/4 turn. if you get some belt dressing or silicone spray, you can narrow it down to which belt/belts that are problem.

when you install a new belt, remeber that it will stretch a little, thus causing you to retension later.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Belts making CHAINSAW screeeeeeeching noises at start up, this is pissing me off! (Rodney)

thats it!